HELP! My EBCM caught fire and now the car wont start...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, HELP! My EBCM caught fire and now the car wont start... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Drove my car (2003) to work today. Only about a 10 mile drive (15 min or so). Never noticed any ...
    Clark Kent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

HELP! My EBCM caught fire and now the car wont start...

Drove my car (2003) to work today. Only about a 10 mile drive (15 min or so). Never noticed any unusual smells or sounds. Car drove fine. 10 minutes after getting settled into the office, a coworker told me "Hey man, your car is smoking." I instantly think it has to be a leaking radiator hose or perhaps an oil leak but as we walk up to the car and pop the hood, I smell plastic/rubber burning and notice the smoke seems to be emanating from the lower passenger side of the radiator/fan. It was hard to see with the smoke (that I quickly noticed was getting thicker) but after grabbing my flashlight from the car to get a better look I heard the crackle of fire starting and the smoke worsening. After throwing dirt on the area attempting to stifle the fire, I had to resort to two bottles of water. As the smoke cleared I could tell it looked like the fire originated from the electrical connector that the EBCM plugs into.

After my immediate frustrations dissipated enough to think more rationally became concerned because of all the cables/wires that are in that small area and so close to the fusebox. I tried to pop my door with the FOB and nothing happened, I open manually and turn the key to "On" and no dash lights, no console display lights, the A/C display still lit up and operated though, no lock/unlock of doors/windows and of course the car wouldn't even make an attempt to start. Aside from the price to likely replace the EBCM (if not the pump as well) what couldve been damaged in that small area that would keep the car from starting and effect the doors and displays? I really need some assistance guys. Ive lurked here every since I bought the car and any issues I had, there was a source here to assist in some way. I didn;t see anything remotely close to this situation so I registered and posted.

Recent work includes:

- ECM replaced and flashed
    - Crankshaft Position Sensor Replaced

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Re: HELP! My EBCM caught fire and now the car wont start...

Were the cabels or connectors damaged

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It sounds to me like the cables and connectors were the fuel for the fire. I've tackled jobs like this, the resulting bill was in the thousands, and it took weeks before it was all over. He better hope there is a donor car in the local junkyard where he can get harnesses, connectors, and junction boxes. I've also seen insurance companies total cars after electrical fires. A repair job like this can rapidly turn into a career. Something got hot to start the fire so even before the smoke there was big trouble. As the fire progresses more stuff shorts together and destroys more expensive stuff. If you don't get it all fixed first try you may get an instant replay.
    curtc likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Clark Kent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I didn't notice any damage to wires or connectors prior to this. Because I was having ecm problems, I routinely was under the hood near the fuse box and feel like I would've noticed. The fire did seem to be from the bottom side of the connector though. Perhaps there was a short that sparked it.

Dkozloski, I certainly hope there is something we can pinpoint that was damaged that is effecting the turnover of the car. I'm already looking into finding a used ebcm at the very least. Its just so odd because I don't know of any connector/wire that could've gotten burned to keep it from starting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.