Advice anyone??? '05 CTS near 100k, loss of power, P0016, ticking noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By curtc
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Advice anyone??? '05 CTS near 100k, loss of power, P0016, ticking noise in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Recently, my wife fell in love with this 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6, and had to buy it. It had ...
    fruscadownerlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6

Advice anyone??? '05 CTS near 100k, loss of power, P0016, ticking noise

Recently, my wife fell in love with this 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6, and had to buy it. It had almost 97,000 miles on it. It was a one owner, and had been serviced by the same Cadillac Dealership for all maintenance since new purchase, even for the oil changes. The older lady simply couldn't drive anymore. A perfect scenario by most accounts for anyone looking for a vehicle. I contacted the service department who confirmed a great car with sound mechanics about it. As such we bought it and hell began!!!

We kept getting codes for a fuel injector misfire and as such replaced it as well as the O-rings. The codes continued and a mechanic friend of mine confirmed my fears that the ECM was next. He advised only the Cadillac dealerships can do this. I called and arranged to have fixed as such. The ECM was replaced and since that having been completed, it continues to throw codes.

It was giving a code of P0430, but after my wife tried driving it back and forth to work till she said it kept losing power (especially at beginning take offs), and that it kept sounding really loud (around the lower part of the gear shift under the car), that she wasn't driving it anymore till it is fixed and she may just sell because she is tired of the piece of sh**. I called to see about getting fixed and was told it appears it may be the catalytic converter, but the converter wouldn't cause really affect the driving of it such as missing or the loss of power and noise.

I have been waiting for our mechanic to look at it to confirm one way or the other, and decided I would drive it myself and hook up the code reader again. I tried to start it (after it had set for about 2 weeks), and it acted like it was flooded with no power. It finally started with some awful smoke, but still has an awful noise (like a ticking noise). I drove it and felt the initial loss of power as well as kept hearing the ticking noise. The car still doesn't have 100,000 miles on it (had it for 3 months now). The code it is throwing now is the P0016 code (Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A).

Can anyone give me any sound direction on what to do with this car besides junk it? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k
    Replace the converter and the crankshaft sensor.

A plugged converter will exhibiting symptoms as you describe.
    TF Eftusk likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

fruscadownerlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6

re: Advice anyone??? '05 CTS near 100k, loss of power, P0016, ticking noise

Will try to get that done hopefully in next few days, then likely going to sell this POS!

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

here are the codes that you would get if you had a bad sensor

P0340- Camshaft Pos Sensor Circ Error (bank1/1Sensor)
    P0341- Camshaft Pos Sensor Circ Perf (bank1/1 Sensor)
    P0342 Camshaft Pos Sensor Circ Lo Input (bank1/1Sensor)
    P0343 Camshaft Pos Sensor Circ Hi Input (bank1/1Sensor)
    P0344- Camshaft Pos Sensor Circ Interm (bank1/1 Sens)

if you have none of those codes and only this one
    P0016 Crank Pos-Camshaft Pos Correlation Bank1 SensorA
    maybe what the code is telling is true, the correlation is off, if you didn't know these engines are notorious for premature timing chain failure

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

Unplug both battery terminals for an hour. If battery is suspect, replace.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by fruscadownerlo View Post
    I called to see about getting fixed and was told it appears it may be the catalytic converter, but the converter wouldn't cause really affect the driving of it such as missing or the loss of power and noise.
    I agree with curtc - a clogged/failed catalytic converter can definitely give you the sort of symptoms you're describing.

I have been waiting for our mechanic to look at it to confirm one way or the other, and decided I would drive it myself and hook up the code reader again. I tried to start it (after it had set for about 2 weeks), and it acted like it was flooded with no power. It finally started with some awful smoke, but still has an awful noise (like a ticking noise). I drove it and felt the initial loss of power as well as kept hearing the ticking noise. The car still doesn't have 100,000 miles on it (had it for 3 months now). The code it is throwing now is the P0016 code (Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A).
    As Ikera said, the code + the ticking noise would make me wonder about the timing chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora5000 View Post
    Unplug both battery terminals for an hour. If battery is suspect, replace.
    Is there any particular reason you're recommending that? The car started after sitting for 2 weeks, so clearly the battery is doing just fine.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Re: Advice anyone??? '05 CTS near 100k, loss of power, P0016, ticking noise

Recently, my wife fell in love with this 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6, and had to buy it. It had almost 97,000 miles on it. It was a one owner, and had been serviced by the same Cadillac Dealership for all maintenance since new purchase, even for the oil changes. The older lady simply couldn't drive anymore. A perfect scenario by most accounts for anyone looking for a vehicle. I contacted the service department who confirmed a great car with sound mechanics about it. As such we bought it and hell began!!!

We kept getting codes for a fuel injector misfire and as such replaced it as well as the O-rings. The codes continued and a mechanic friend of mine confirmed my fears that the ECM was next. He advised only the Cadillac dealerships can do this. I called and arranged to have fixed as such. The ECM was replaced and since that having been completed, it continues to throw codes.

It was giving a code of P0430, but after my wife tried driving it back and forth to work till she said it kept losing power (especially at beginning take offs), and that it kept sounding really loud (around the lower part of the gear shift under the car), that she wasn't driving it anymore till it is fixed and she may just sell because she is tired of the piece of sh**. I called to see about getting fixed and was told it appears it may be the catalytic converter, but the converter wouldn't cause really affect the driving of it such as missing or the loss of power and noise.

Can anyone give me any sound direction on what to do with this car besides junk it? Thanks.
    What was the final outcome?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.