My piece of sh!t Cadillac
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, My piece of sh!t Cadillac in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; so this is my build thread first of all, I'm not a mechanic I just really like cars, everything I ...
    Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Smile My piece of sh!t Cadillac

so this is my build thread

first of all, I'm not a mechanic I just really like cars, everything I know about car I learned from reading online forums. My workmanship might be questionable, and I do take a lot of shortcuts.

anyway I bought my CTS on April 26, 2013
    2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
    3.2L V6 220hp 218lb-ft
    5-Speed Auto
    curb weight 3,600lbs

when I was buying this car I didn't care about power or handling, because I still had my Turbocharged 240sx with 250HP and 900lbs lighter and was super fun to drive.

modifying this car to make it faster or anything like that would just as much waste of the money as trying to make an S13 look like modern car

anyway here are some pics

when I first bought it

the guy sold it for cheap because it had problems and engine check light on
    a quick OBD scan showed what I needed to do to get rid of the check light

2 Oxygen sensor...

later I found out the PCV system was clogged and the engine is leaking oil from both valve cover gaskets, front main seal and rear main seal or oil filter adapter or that area.

changed valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, a 20min job on my 240sx takes 4hours on the CTS

never seen this before, but for some reason the spark plugs were rusted

I'm surprised it was able to run without misfire with these plugs

also found out one of the rims was cracked and was leaking air, replaced them with aftermarket rims

installed H&R CTS-V lowering springs, because I'm cheap and because I didn't want to ruin the Cadillac Ride with coils

It turns out these springs are way too stiff

And here is my Nissan 240sx

anyway it's getting late, I'll upload more pictures later

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: My piece of sh!t Cadillac

while installing the lowering springs I found out both front lower ball joins, one upper ball joint and one tire rod end were dead. Also one of the front brake lines was severely rusted

Ordered myself a Box full of "Problem Solvers" by Moog from RockAuto.com

took me while to figure out how to use it

lower ball join out and tie rod removed

pressing in new ball join and installed a new tie rod end

old vs new

replaced both front brake lines, installed... I know they look strange, twisted and awkward but this is the correct way to install them.

my problems have been solved

johnsav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts luxury sport package

I think you knew what you were getting into when you bought it and you did a good job, I didn't know yours was a luxury sport too! needs tints...I was lucky with mine just small maintenance since i bought it with 110,000 it was expected, to have to buy new parts.

TheBrown57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury Sport

My 03 has been good to me for the most part and I intend to keep her till she dies (currently at 146k bought with 108) Great work on yours Ikera! I think I'll start a build log on here for mine as well once I start putting the sound system in it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrown57 View Post
    My 03 has been good to me for the most part and I intend to keep her till she dies (currently at 146k bought with 108) Great work on yours Ikera! I think I'll start a build log on here for mine as well once I start putting the sound system in it.
    Starting a build log is always a good idea, most car forums have whole subsection for build logs and I love looking at what other people doing with their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsav View Post
    I think you knew what you were getting into when you bought it and you did a good job, I didn't know yours was a luxury sport too! needs tints...I was lucky with mine just small maintenance since i bought it with 110,000 it was expected, to have to buy new parts.
    Actually I'm still not sure what I go myself into, every time I find a new problem makes me want to cut my loses and sell the car.
    anyway on a happy note, I agree about the Tint! not only does tint make a car look cooler it also makes it more comfortable!

Update time

since I wasn't sure on the service history on the car I decided to replace the timing belt just in case it was never done before.

Bought the timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat and the tool kit for changing timing belt

it wasn't too difficult, but very nerve wracking. I've read a lot of horror stories about the belt snapping or skipping few weeks after replacement due to incorrect tension.

at this time I found out that the variable intake valve was seized and rusted, I tried to clean it and make it functional but eventually just disabled it and simplified the all vacuum line mess

before

after

I left the valve in open position (open = low RPM torque, closed = high RPM power)

and here is a little preview of what's next

TheBrown57 and TF Eftusk like this.

I have a build log on a different forum for car audio for my CTS which has yet to really get updated. I have my timing belt replacement coming up within a month. I think I will go ahead and start my build log later today when on my lunch break. Liking those rims a lot as well man, good choice!

TF Eftusk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS 3.6l

It looks like you have a laptop or a tablet hooked up to your CTS to get the codes. How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by TF Eftusk View Post
    It looks like you have a laptop or a tablet hooked up to your CTS to get the codes. How do you do that?
    easy, you can buy a USB OBDII scanner from eBay for less than $20 software and shipping included. Or you can also buy a wireless BlueTooth scanner and pull codes with your cellphone.

I like the software for PC EasyOBD II, you can pull codes, view stored codes, view freeze frame when the code was triggered, see sensor readings in real time, and you can see if your car is ready for the smog inspection. Here in BC they only scan the computer for sensor readyness and readings. this software will tell you if the sensors are ready and if there was enough date collected to confirm that all systems are functional.

anyway it's really cool stuff and it's really cheap, I think everyone should have these cables

I would recommend ELM327 Type scanner, and seems to be the most popular too.
    here is a pic of how it would look like

update time~

but first let me tell you about different types of wheel fitment; sunk, flush, poke and HELLAFLUSH

Sunk - looks stupid, high positive offset rims, the wheel look sunk into the chassis
    Flush - looks clean! rolling fender required for clearance
    Poke - looks different, low offset rims, fenders need to be rolled and pulled
    HELLAFLUSH - looks cool and stupid, near 0 offset rims, high positive camber, with fenders butchered to the max and still don't fit

the fitment on my 240sx was "poke"

Rota Grid 18x9.5 + 15

the fitment I wanted for my Cadillac was "flush"
    so I was looking for wider rims +8" with mid offset ~+30 (IIRC stock rims are 17x7.5" +45)
    so I found these rims on craigslist

ADR M-Sport 19x8.5 +35 for $250, I was like damn that's an awesome deal!
    not a fan of +19" rims, but the everything else was perfect

some shady guy sold these rims to me out of the back of a van in a ghetto part of Vancouver.

and he lied about the bolt pattern or didn't know what the bolt patter was... which make him even more shady.
    soon after getting the rims home I've discovered the rims have 5X120 bolt patter (BMW bolt patter)

anyway since I got the rims for a good deal, I decided to buy slim bolt patter adapter to make them fit
    5x115 to 5x120 20mm slim adapter - $210 shipped on eBay
    and picked out a set of almost new 235/45/19 tires on craigslist for $250
    got the tires mounted for $110
    and here are the results

the tires barely fit, had to remove and modify inner fenders, and hammer in some edges

and of course I had to roll the fenders

The tires are a little too thick

and then I got the windows tinted too 35% all around
    35% precut tint ~$40 shipped on eBay

stock window tint is 70% VLT
    so by my calculation
    70% VLT + 35% VLT = 24.5% VLT

very happy with the result, not too dark and not too light ether.
    TheBrown57 likes this.

Looks like you killed someone on that pick with the fender rolling
    Looks good man!

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Those ADR wheels look good on the car - I'm impressed they fit that well considering the width and the low offset (with the spacer/adapters in there). Definitely could've saved yourself some heartache on fitment with better tire sizing, but I guess a deal is a deal.

And thanks for sharing the pics of the balljoint replacement. I've seen a number of threads in which folks asked about whether the control arms are serviceable, but this is the first time I've seen someone actually post up pics showing how to replace the balljoint. Good stuff!
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Static1120 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

Thanks for the Post Very useful for getting to know our cars much better

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrown57 View Post
    Looks like you killed someone on that pick with the fender rolling
    Looks good man!
    my face... I killed my face... that bat slipped from under the fender and hit me right in the face. Took 3 weeks for my nose to fully recover.

TheBrown57 likes this.

anyways I didn't keep these tires for very long... they just didn't look right
    so swapped them out for 235/35/19 tires

a little too thin for my liking but at least they looked better

Also at the same time I was trying to fix one of my headlights, the projector inside the headlight broke off
    in order to fix it I had to open the headlight by heating it up and removing the lens.
    and I have done this before with Taillights successfully... this head light was a different story

I've braked it in the oven 5 times, trying to open the headlight and each time increasing the temperature.

anyway on the 5th try the headlight spontaneously melted

well I didn't care too much since the headlight was broken anyway.

since stock HID Headlights /w washers are ridiculously expensive, I decided to buy aftermarket CCFL Dual Halo headlights
    here is what I received

these are not CCFL halo headlights, these are LED Halo headlights, because eBay seller who sold them to me has no idea what CCFL or LED even means and advertising them as CCFL headlights... needless to say I returned them for full refund.

anyway here are some pic on my trip 6000km (3700mi) trip in US
    Drove from Vancouver, BC to Las Vegas, NV in 23hours

went to see Grand Canyon, AZ latter

and bunch of other places

San Fransisco, CA

n'stuff
    TheBrown57 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikera View Post
    my face... I killed my face... that bat slipped from under the fender and hit me right in the face. Took 3 weeks for my nose to fully recover.

OUCH! Well at least you fully recovered

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.