Subwoofer question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ikera
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Subwoofer question in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I purchased a Inifinity Kappa 100.9W Subwoofer. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cv92yDq...=DST&XVVER=CCC I was wondering if anyone knew what the stock wattage was on ...
    ColtonCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Subwoofer question

I purchased a Inifinity Kappa 100.9W Subwoofer. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cv92yDq...=DST&XVVER=CCC

I was wondering if anyone knew what the stock wattage was on the current AMP that's already installed in the CTS?

I was wanting (if possible) to run it on the default amp if it would allow me to just to seehow it would sound at first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

Re: Subwoofer question

I am willing to bet the stock amp is pushing less than 100w RMS to that sub back there. Also, that is a 2/4 Ohm sub, the stock Bose runs somewhere around 1 Ohm IIRC. I wouldn't even bother with that, get an aftermarket amp and do it right.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Sounds good, Appreciate the info!

TheBrown57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury Sport

I'm thinking about getting a aftermarket sub to replace the stock one.

I removed the stock a while back and sold it to a member on here since I've added 2 12s in the trunk with an amp but now I miss the stock 10 hitting the higher notes that I have filtered out of the 12's.

From what I remember from seeing on this forum is the stock amp runs around 100rms and at 1ohm

Just to update on this in-case anyone should ever run into this same issue.
    You will definitely need to cut the bottom of your trunk a bit if you want this to go in to the stock position.

trunk.jpg
    I cut the square whole pattern in little segments and the steel used is so weak that you can bend it back in position later to be mounted to with the screws and bolts that will be needed to hold the sub into place as the mounting pattern is different on the unit.

The plastic piece where the sub mounts to also had to be cut in half and placed back together
    SubPlasticTray.jpg

This is obviously a ghetto way of doing it but once you're this far, you are committed and it honestly made no difference or rattling as far as sound quality so it's also a cheaper way of doing it than using wood as I have seen some people do.

I also had to purchase a alpine 500W AMP and line output converter which connected to the previous wires that come off the sub and besides being a pain to get wired together it's a fairly easy process. It's just a time consuming process.

This is in no way a guide! I am just showing what I did to get this installed and it's working flawlessly. So if you end up getting the infinity 100.9 sub to install into the stock cadillac cts this is definitely a way to do it.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonCTS View Post
    Just to update on this in-case anyone should ever run into this same issue.
    You will definitely need to cut the bottom of your trunk a bit if you want this to go in to the stock position.

Attachment 210361
    I cut the square whole pattern in little segments and the steel used is so weak that you can bend it back in position later to be mounted to with the screws and bolts that will be needed to hold the sub into place as the mounting pattern is different on the unit.

The plastic piece where the sub mounts to also had to be cut in half and placed back together
    Attachment 210369

This is obviously a ghetto way of doing it but once you're this far, you are committed and it honestly made no difference or rattling as far as sound quality so it's also a cheaper way of doing it than using wood as I have seen some people do.

I also had to purchase a alpine 500W AMP and line output converter which connected to the previous wires that come off the sub and besides being a pain to get wired together it's a fairly easy process. It's just a time consuming process.

This is in no way a guide! I am just showing what I did to get this installed and it's working flawlessly. So if you end up getting the infinity 100.9 sub to install into the stock cadillac cts this is definitely a way to do it.
    how does it sound? Bass power or sound quality improved?
    my sub was already removed when I bought the car so I have nothing to compare.
    I installed a RA 300W 1ohm free-air sub and wired it up to the stock AMP... it is weak almost not noticeable. (got a second 12" 1500W Sub in a ported box with it's own AMP in the truck)

I am very happy with my infinity it's a huge improvement I had the 500W hooked up http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-5...&skuId=7551285

Using about 75% power and bass control set to the lowest it can go inside my dash so that way I can play around with it and it sounds superb. During the install I wasn't too happy with it but once I got everything closed and sealed back up with the seats installed, it's a huge difference.

I'm loving it and the bass is great. It's definitely not over the top as far as rattling but it's got a great kick to it.

Being though that I have my bass turned all the way down inside my center unit my speakers in result sound better in the car as they can hit higher levels without distortion and my bass is pretty deep in the back.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonCTS View Post
    I am very happy with my infinity it's a huge improvement I had the 500W hooked up http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-5...&skuId=7551285

Using about 75% power and bass control set to the lowest it can go inside my dash so that way I can play around with it and it sounds superb. During the install I wasn't too happy with it but once I got everything closed and sealed back up with the seats installed, it's a huge difference.

I'm loving it and the bass is great. It's definitely not over the top as far as rattling but it's got a great kick to it.

Being though that I have my bass turned all the way down inside my center unit my speakers in result sound better in the car as they can hit higher levels without distortion and my bass is pretty deep in the back.
    Thanks for reply, I guess I'll try to wire up a proper amp for that sub to properly utilize it, otherwise I feel like it's wasting space lol
    ColtonCTS likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.