guaging interest in polyurathane strut bearing bushing????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, guaging interest in polyurathane strut bearing bushing???? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; what do u guys think of getting poly strut bearing bushings made since these can only be obtained by ordering ...
    wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

guaging interest in polyurathane strut bearing bushing????

what do u guys think of getting poly strut bearing bushings made since these can only be obtained by ordering the entire the upper control arm. When these are worn/impacted alot of guys are getting a clunking noise over bumps.

we would need sometimes upper control arm or a new bushing to be sent in to one of the vendors on this site....
    CTS414 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: guaging interest in polyurathane strut bearing bushing????

Add me to that list my driver side front mount is dead and it's affecting my handling and it's annoying. And you are correct a complete upper control arm mount assembly needs to be ordered from Cadillac just to get a fresh strut mount bushing in there. Cadillac really did something silly there. It's becoming obvious Cadillac doesn't want customers holding on to these cars at all beyond the first 5 years, they think thats how you increase customer retention apparently.

This is just silly.

Want a flex disc for your driveshaft order a new driveshaft, huh?
    Want a control arm bushing, order a new control arm, what?
    Want a diff bushing, have you looked into buying a whole new diff?
    Want a strut mount bushing? Order a whole control arm assembly, brilliant!

Had it not been for Creative Steel, Revshift and Dorman almost anyone that was in a dire need for a bushing or disc would have been screwed by Cadillac's brilliant parts department.
    RCVW and CTS414 like this.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package

I'd like to be added to this list as well. I'm about positive my front passenger side is shot ill find out for sure tomorrow. Regardless ill take 2.
    CTS414 likes this.

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L manual

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSM
    This is just silly.

Want a flex disc for your driveshaft order a new driveshaft, huh?
    Want a control arm bushing, order a new control arm, what?
    Want a diff bushing, have you looked into buying a whole new diff?
    Want a strut mount bushing? Order a whole control arm assembly, brilliant!
    Add this to the list... Want to replace your headlight bulbs. Remove your bumper. Great!

KOT
    RCVW, CTS414, TheBrown57 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Add this to the list... Want to replace your headlight bulbs. Remove your bumper. Great!

KOT
    And based on that KOT if you ever go to a Cadillac dealer for a burned light he'll quote you $35 parts and labor to change it! Though I could do it myself but when my car was under bumper to bumper warranty I used to love taking it to the dealership just to have them have Cadillac foot the bill for bad design. And I used to get to enjoy their lounge and sip on free espressos while I cruise the sales floor and test drive some new cars while they are doing it.

And I did this a total of 5 times when my car was new, I made Cadillac foot the bill for bad design. each time a fog light bulb, or headlight bulb or turn signal bulb went out I made sure my local Cadillac dealer charged Cadillac 30 bucks or so.

I hope the savings was worth it Cadillac.
    RCVW and Ikera like this.

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L manual

KOT
    In 3.2L CTS's the bulbs are accessible from the top, no need to drop the bumper.

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    what do u guys think of getting poly strut bearing bushings made since these can only be obtained by ordering the entire the upper control arm. When these are worn/impacted alot of guys are getting a clunking noise over bumps.

we would need sometimes upper control arm or a new bushing to be sent in to one of the vendors on this site....
    We just started working on these.
    RCVW, CTS414, CTSM and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    We just started working on these.
    Praise God, I'm not getting robbed by Cadillac after all wohoo!~

I hope you guys price them reasonably, I want to replace both my strut mounts and my squeaky rear upper control arm bushings I hope I can get a good deal from you on them..

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

KOT
    To be fair, this is not just a Cadillac thing. My sister recently got a 2012/2013 Chevrolet Cruze and guess what, the front bumper must be removed to replace the headlights. I am also seeing this as a trend with other automobile manufacturers and it's really annoying. It's almost as if they don't want customers working on their own vehicles anymore. I understand it as a business model but there will always be people who know nothing about their cars and have to take it to the shop for the simplest of repairs ie headlight.

You would think car manufacturers would want their customers who actually have a mechanical background, working on their own cars. This is what helps build your bond with the car and in turn the brand. The more you know about the car, the more it becomes a part of you. I would love it if I could call up cadillac and order specific OEM bushings, etc, without having to buy the whole damn part. It'd be even better if when I called, I was given the option to go OEM or after market. Of course there would have to be extensive testing done with the after market parts before a manufacturer could sell them but imagine how awesome that would be.

I would also like to be able to check my transmission fluid. I find it very sneaky that this is actually allowed as how else are you supposed to know. Not everyone has the tools nor the space to get under the vehicle and check the fluid level.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    To be fair, this is not just a Cadillac thing. My sister recently got a 2012/2013 Chevrolet Cruze and guess what, the front bumper must be removed to replace the headlights. I am also seeing this as a trend with other automobile manufacturers and it's really annoying. It's almost as if they don't want customers working on their own vehicles anymore. I understand it as a business model but there will always be people who know nothing about their cars and have to take it to the shop for the simplest of repairs ie headlight.

You would think car manufacturers would want their customers who actually have a mechanical background, working on their own cars. This is what helps build your bond with the car and in turn the brand. The more you know about the car, the more it becomes a part of you. I would love it if I could call up cadillac and order specific OEM bushings, etc, without having to buy the whole damn part. It'd be even better if when I called, I was given the option to go OEM or after market. Of course there would have to be extensive testing done with the after market parts before a manufacturer could sell them but imagine how awesome that would be.

I would also like to be able to check my transmission fluid. I find it very sneaky that this is actually allowed as how else are you supposed to know. Not everyone has the tools nor the space to get under the vehicle and check the fluid level.
    Well that was a nice pipe dream but they don't want you to touch anything nothing. Keep in mind if you check your owner's manual trans fluid is not in the chart. They wan want you to keep using that old fluid till it wears out and kills the trans. Even the fuel filter is not on the list. They barely provide any OEM bushings for the customers. It's not in the best interest of a luxury car manufacturer to provide a you cheap access to parts. They want us to just give up on these cars at around a maximum of 70-100k take a massive hit on that trade in price, turn around sell that older Cadillac that is high mileage and too expensive to fully.restore to excellent condition to wanna be Cadillac owner, give him a taste of Cadillac ownership so that when he is better off he might consider trading it again for another hit and buy an overpriced new or lightly used Cadillac, where he runs into the same issues and lack of reasonably priced parts so he gives up trades it in for a new or lease vehicle and the cash keeps on flowing.

I was just talking to a fellow first gen CTS owner and both of us are Cadillac fans and we both are eager when we can switch from our CTSs into another rwd sedan that has a much better availability of replacement parts. It sucks to have to have to pay an arm and leg just to get a $10 part which is all that needed replacing to begin with.

In 6 years+ of ownership everything that can be replaced has nearly been relplaced either due to recall, under warranty or what I replaced myself in my car. Heck I have just replaced my whole shifter assembly at 90k miles because my sports mode switch inside the sport auto shifter stopped working. Most of what has left the factory in my CTS is not in my CTS anymore spare for the trans, bits and pieces of my engine, my interior , suspension (less the low quality bushings and my driveshaft.

Now nearly every bushing needs replacement including my strut mount, it would cost me near a grand to get all these bushings replaced by non OEM spec bushings. And spare for the one bushing AC delco makes available for the rear control arm nothing else is.available. 2 or 3 years down the road I seriously don't Invision myself in another Cadillac I'm tired of dealing with the lack of cheaper parts. This car is a money sinkhole especially if one has to spend a grand to replace all the bushings.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    I was just talking to a fellow first gen CTS owner and both of us are Cadillac fans and we both are eager when we can switch from our CTSs into another rwd sedan that has a much better availability of replacement parts.
    2 or 3 years down the road I seriously don't envision myself in another Cadillac I'm tired of dealing with the lack of cheaper parts.
    None of the issues you guys are complaining about are unique to Cadillac. Admittedly, with other platforms (BMW, for instance) there may be more aftermarket options due to a better established performance community, but when it comes to OEM parts support, pretty much all of the OEMs are the same. That's nothing new - even on my '89 Mustang I couldn't replace a front control arm bushing with a factory part - you either had to buy a whole new control arm, or buy aftermarket bushings.

As for the topic of this thread, are you talking about the rubber insert with 6 "spokes" in the big aluminum upper mount in this pic?

'05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    None of the issues you guys are complaining about are unique to Cadillac. Admittedly, with other platforms (BMW, for instance) there may be more aftermarket options due to a better established performance community, but when it comes to OEM parts support, pretty much all of the OEMs are the same. That's nothing new - even on my '89 Mustang I couldn't replace a front control arm bushing with a factory part - you either had to buy a whole new control arm, or buy aftermarket bushings.

As for the topic of this thread, are you talking about the rubber insert with 6 "spokes" in the big aluminum upper mount in this pic?

Yes that's the one. And yes it really irks me when I look at parts available for the an 07 5 series you would be lost who to buy a bushing from there's dozens of options for each part. Now that's what I dream of having for my CTS, I'm not necessarily interested in buying a polyurethane bushing for every single corner of my car. As I said, it costs around a grand either to replace all parts with OEM parts or replace all bushings with polyurethane bushings.

Just to replace bushings on all four corners of a car from polyurethane vendors for the CTS will make one foot a $500-600 bill.

wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

I was just on rock auto looks like the have the strut bearing and bushing?? I dunno if this link will work.. http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    I was just on rock auto looks like the have the strut bearing and bushing?? I dunno if this link will work.. http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php
    Sachs part#802597 is not the right type of mount for the CTS though Rock auto shows it as so, it's in fact a Buick Lucerne part. Unless someone can see how that part in the picture below fits in the picture AIIIC posted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.