Sport mode weird shifts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Sport mode weird shifts? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have tried to use my sport mode manual shifter a couple of times and have noticed hard shifts and/or ...
    HawkzillaCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L

Sport mode weird shifts?

I have tried to use my sport mode manual shifter a couple of times and have noticed hard shifts and/or delayed shifts with weird revs in between. I won't use it anymore because I'm worried I will damage my tranny, but would like to know if anyone has experienced this as well and if this is a warning sign of tranny trouble to come or maybe just a simple computer thing, etc.

If it's a cheap fix I will probably have it done since it would be nice to be able to use sport mode when duty calls.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: Sport mode weird shifts?

Well I don't see anything abnormal here. Basically you raise or lower the gear range manually and if the TCM agrees that it's safe to do so then the shift takes place (up or down). Also this is not a DCT transmission, do not expect instant shifts, it takes a while for those clutches to engage, this is a very old trans. GM's latest 6 speed transmissions have a much faster shift time and they do actual tap shifts, which means when you are in 5th and you tap shift down to 4th you are directly commanding 4th gear and if it's not dangerous the shift will be allowed and take place. Otherwise it will get denied instantly.

I have found the best way to drive the CTS as far as manual shifts go:

- For instance let's say you are in sports mode, and you have first gear selected from a standstill.
    - accelerate till 5K/6K RPM or redline then let go off the gas
    - Tap up the lever
    - second gear engages, get back on the gas after engagement as engine speed drops to 3K RPM
    - accelerate back to your desired RPM or red line then upshift again..etc all the way to 5th

So in a sense, treat it just like a manual car that doesn't need a clutch pedal (yes such cars existed before that were manual but didn't have a clutch pedal)

And I find it very enjoyable to drive my CTS that way and especially with the volant and the exhaust driving it like that even at slower speeds makes for nice background noise to relax to

Ah ha! That is good news. I was wondering if I needed to drive it like a clutch, but I thought that might have sounded stupid since my last car was a CVT tranny and I could sport shift without taking my foot off the gas. But what you said makes perfect sense, so I will give it a shot tomorrow!

On that note, my wife just bought a 05 Infiniti FX35. Will this be the case for that car in sport mode as well do you think? (If I could get my CTS to sound like her Infiniti I would be a extra happy boy, BTW)

Thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by HawkzillaCTS View Post
    Ah ha! That is good news. I was wondering if I needed to drive it like a clutch, but I thought that might have sounded stupid since my last car was a CVT tranny and I could sport shift without taking my foot off the gas. But what you said makes perfect sense, so I will give it a shot tomorrow!

On that note, my wife just bought a 05 Infiniti FX35. Will this be the case for that car in sport mode as well do you think? (If I could get my CTS to sound like her Infiniti I would be a extra happy boy, BTW)

Thanks buddy
    Well from my experience I have tried doing the procedure I described in other automatic cars with sport shift and the shifting experience was not as nice. Even some GM 6 speeds. The way I use it is not really how it was designed to be used.

The way almost all sport shift automatics are expected to be used is pretty much at wide open throttle. You floor the car and shift by hand as you approach the redline. There will be delay in most non-DCT cars however the delay varies from car to car depending on hoe fast the clutch pistons get up to proper pressure to engage and many other factors including how the car is calibrated out the factory. But regardless, for the first gen CTS with the GM 5-4L0E I have found this to be the most fun way to manually shift. It's not the fastest way though, as the car loses momentum as you let go of the gas, but still puts a smile on my face when I drive it like that, almost feels like a manual except it's better at least than the manual transmission that was made available for the first gen CTS (and the second gen if I may say)

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    Well from my experience I have tried doing the procedure I described in other automatic cars with sport shift and the shifting experience was not as nice. Even some GM 6 speeds. The way I use it is not really how it was designed to be used.

The way almost all sport shift automatics are expected to be used is pretty much at wide open throttle. You floor the car and shift by hand as you approach the redline. There will be delay in most non-DCT cars however the delay varies from car to car depending on hoe fast the clutch pistons get up to proper pressure to engage and many other factors including how the car is calibrated out the factory. But regardless, for the first gen CTS with the GM 5-4L0E I have found this to be the most fun way to manually shift. It's not the fastest way though, as the car loses momentum as you let go of the gas, but still puts a smile on my face when I drive it like that, almost feels like a manual except it's better at least than the manual transmission that was made available for the first gen CTS (and the second gen if I may say)
    Well the way mine shifts when I'm full throttle I would guess that your method might actually be a little faster. I'm telling you, it feels and sounds really weird like it's not working right. So your method will be the only method I will be using. I drove a manual most of my adult life, so it won't take long to get the timing down... though I may end up locking up my brakes with my left foot out of habit! lol

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    When I am using my sports mode shifting. I tend to put the pedal to metal and once the rmps reaches 5.5 to 6K (though it could be higher) I would shift upwards. As to give the transmission enough time to shift before the 7K redline. I never remove the pedal until my desired speed is reached.

Also when I am doing 85mph and in 4th gear and slightly on the pedal. It won't allow me to down shift to 3. However if I let go of the pedal, I can then shift to 3, accelerate to 93ish until I have to shift back to 4th. This could be at other speed and other gears. But I tend to do the above a lot. :-)

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    When I am using my sports mode shifting. I tend to put the pedal to metal and once the rmps reaches 5.5 to 6K (though it could be higher) I would shift upwards. As to give the transmission enough time to shift before the 7K redline. I never remove the pedal until my desired speed is reached.

Also when I am doing 85mph and in 4th gear and slightly on the pedal. It won't allow me to down shift to 3. However if I let go of the pedal, I can then shift to 3, accelerate to 93ish until I have to shift back to 4th. This could be at other speed and other gears. But I tend to do the above a lot. :-)

KOT
    Interesting. So you shift at full throttle and it is a smooth quick shift? If so, mine definitely is not functioning properly. My shifts in sport mode feel nothing like normal automatic shifts, even ones where I have the gas mashed.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkzillaCTS View Post
    Interesting. So you shift at full throttle and it is a smooth quick shift? If so, mine definitely is not functioning properly. My shifts in sport mode feel nothing like normal automatic shifts, even ones where I have the gas mashed.
    I say post a video of you manually shifting the car then we can chime in if you should have a reason for concern or not, that's the best way for us to compare that yo our cars.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkzillaCTS
    I do have the 2.8, so I wouldn't be smashed I to the seat like a 3.6 would do. But at times it does put me into the seat. If that's what your talking about.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I do have the 2.8, so I wouldn't be smashed I to the seat like a 3.6 would do. But at times it does put me into the seat. If that's what your talking about.

KOT
    Sorry I meant does it shift smooth and quick for you in sport mode even with the pedal to the floor?

Op, have you had your transmission fluid changed yet? I would do a pan drop change the transmission filter with a quality filter and put some fresh full synthetic Dexron VI ATF in there I used Valvoline full synthetic MaxLife last time I changed it along with a wix filter, car went back to shifting as smooth as I remember it that was 30K miles ago. I'm planning another pan drop and filter change in the summer to replace even more of the original fluid with fresh fluid. Do not do anything other than a fluid change and filter change. No flushes or anything along those lines, just freshen up the fluid put a good filter in there and a couple of back to back changes and you should feel a difference. Also, take a look at your driveshaft bushing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.