Relearn
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Relearn in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; How do I do a throttle body relearn? What I've read on the internet doesn't seem to work. I replaced ...
    bmeans12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Relearn

How do I do a throttle body relearn? What I've read on the internet doesn't seem to work. I replaced my throttle body about a month ago and the car runs fine. The issue I'm having is a very high idle when starting the car. It's a 03 CTS by the way. So I've been unplugging the positive cable from the battery and it seems to fix it for a week or so. Any suggestions on how to fix? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
    P.S the car revs up to 2000-2500 rpm when starting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Ensure that the following conditions are met:
    • The vehicle speed is 0 mph.
    • The accelerator pedal angle is less than 14.9 percent.
    • The battery voltage is more than 10 volts.
    • The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 5-60°C (41-140°F).
    • The intake air temperature (IAT) is more than 5-60°C (41-140°F).
    Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
    Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 1 minute.
    Turn OFF the ignition.
    Clear DTCs as necessary.

Should I unplug the battery and throttle body as if I'm putting it in for the first time? As to "trick" the CPU?

----------

The thing you sent me doesn't make sense to me. It saying turn off the engine, the engine is already off then it says turn on the engine, for how long then says turn off the engine twice. It's just not clear to me. Can you clarify it for me? Thanks.

Yea that one is weird. Its assuming your vehicle wasn't at operating temp, so once your at op temp start. This ones better and is more of a master relearn instead of just throttle relearn.. from what I've read if you do the procedure below and have any cel, your car wont start, so you have to clear the codes before hand.
    1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2 . 2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds. 3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again. 4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds 5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time. 6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time. 7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and wait 30 seconds. 8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If the engine does not start, check for trouble codes and address them before attempting the relearn procedure again.

Thanks ztollon. I'll try that. Thanks again.

----------

Should I clear codes before stating these steps?

Yes or your car won't start and you will have to clear them and do it all over again.

I just got back from autozone and they did a dio check on the car and came back with these codes
    P1700
    P1779
    P1795
    I've tried looking them up on google but can't really find true answers. Can you help with these issues?

Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Re: Relearn

What do you mean it has a high idle? on a cold engine it is supposed to idle faster then normal, its in open loop and follows default mapping. It should then drop rpm's once the cats warm up and it goes into closed loop. Does it happen every time you start? Why did you replace the throttle body? Did these thing start after you did that repair? Stop unplugging the battery, your car hates that, it will just delay any progress you make on the issue, it cant pop a code if you keep resetting it, it needs a few start cycles to think and tell you what the correct codes are. If your car is driving fine then you do not need a relearn, bad throttle position will literally make the car not move or it will surge when you push the gas pedal it will feel very wrong. The first set of instructions were correct just leave the key in the on position without starting it for a min or two, you will hear the throttle body "clicking" as it learns its position, its automatic. The codes are all for your transmission how is it shifting when you drive it? When was your last trans fluid change?

The high rev don't happen every time I start the car, it's hit or mis on that aspect. When I'm driving every time the car shifts and when it gets to 3rd gear it feels like it's in between gears. If that makes sense. I've never had the trans fluid changes. I've only owned the car for about 8 months. And yes these issues started after I changed the throttle body. I was told my a couple mechanics the throttle body needed replaced.

----------

The high idle I was talking about is when I start the car it goes up to 2000-2500 rpm and it's not like it's cold out. It's about 45-50 degrees in the morning when I'm going to work. But throughout the winter when it was real cold out the car never revved up that high ever. It is just perplexing is all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.