Short-Throw Shifter?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Short-Throw Shifter? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I've searched for it but haven't found anything pertaining specifically to the 3.6 manual. I'm not sure if the ...
    JayDohn07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 3.6L CTS - 6 speed(Volant SRI, Borla Cat-back Exhaust)

Short-Throw Shifter?

So I've searched for it but haven't found anything pertaining specifically to the 3.6 manual. I'm not sure if the transmissions are the same as the V or at least the same setup.

I'm looking to tighten up the shifts because it seems a little loose for such a sporty car. So, is there a short throw shifter made for the 3.6 or can I just use the B&M for the V? And if there is another kit besides B&M...which is it? Shit is too hard to find for these cars.

Thanks,
    John

EDIT: Okay, spending a little time on the V section of the forum, it seems the options are B&M(not sure if its still avalible), Katech, UUC and a modified stock one. I'm still wondering though if anyone here has one on the 3.6?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Short-Throw Shifter?

The transmissions are definitely different - V has a Tremec T56, V6 has an Aisin AY6. However, from looking at a couple of pictures I found online, and from my past experience (see next paragraph), I think the shift lever itself is the same on the two. Since the various short throw shifters just replace the lever, it might work.

A few years ago I fixed the shifter on my brother's CTS-V, and to do so I bought a used shifter assembly off Ebay. I'm almost positive what I bought was actually a CTS shifter assembly. I remember the linkage that comes off the bottom of the shift lever and attaches to the shift mechanism on the tranny was different, but I didn't need that part, so I didn't care. The linkage on the V attaches to the tranny with a single horizontal pin, whereas the linkage I had on the Ebay shifter looked like the one in the drawing (2nd attached picture) in this thread. (That linked thread might be something you should look into doing on your car as part of helping to get rid of slop.)

Interestingly enough, the line drawings in the 2005 Service Manual for the Aisin shifter replacement appear to show the Tremec shifter - note the single pin at the tranny end of the shift linkage. (This is a picture I took of my FSM this morning.)

In this other thread, someone linked to a thread in which a guy tried installing a B&M CTS-V shifter and ran into a problem. Unfortunately, the thread falls a bit short in its description of what the problem was, and he only provides a couple of rough drawings rather than any actual pictures. Based on the description, I can't understand why there would be a problem - the short shifter shouldn't change how far the bottom of the shifter has to travel in order to move the shift linkage to the correct position, so it doesn't make sense to me that installing a short shift lever would make the shifter contact something to one side if the stock lever wasn't contacting that.

So, I think you could use one of the CTS-V shift levers in there, but there might be an issue, as reported in that thread above. Even if you don't replace the lever, I think there's room for improving the shift feel by replacing some of the bushings. If you did some partial disassembly and took some good pics we could tell whether or not the AY6 shifter assembly has the same type of bushings that the T56 does just ahead of the shift lever (where the "4" is pointing in the pic above) - a couple of companies make those in polyurethane, and they make a huge difference on the V's, since the stock rubber bushings are typically shot.

As for shifter options, in addition to the ones you mentioned, there are a couple of different shifters from guys over on the V forum of LS1tech - 54inches and 07CTS-V.
    JayDohn07 likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Ah, yes. I did read through that thread which made me pause on the whole project. I also do not understand why he would have an issue, but if it is, I don't want to have to make a modification like he said he did.

I will try and take pictures of the bushings. I don't have to get under the car to just open it up and look right?

Also, thanks for taking the time to reply with a through answer. I hope we can actually get somewhere with this. I'm sure there are others on here with the 6 speed that would love to have the short shifter as well.

If you go here and skip down to steps 10-12 you should be able to pull that plastic plate and rubber boot out of the way, and then be able to see down into where the shifter pivot and mounting bushings are. That's assuming that your looks the same once you pull the shifter boot and big chunk of insulating foam out of the way.

Note that when you remove the 2 bolts just in front of the shift lever, the shifter assembly will drop down a bit. When it comes time to reinstall that plate, you'll have to grab the shift lever and pull up so the shifter assembly is up against the bottom of the floor pan/tranny tunnel, otherwise those bolts won't be long enough to reach the plate they thread into. Hopefully that makes sense.

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L manual

I put a short throw shifter on my 2003 3.2L 5 speed Getrag MTX a few years ago.

I ordered a modified stock shifter from a guy that makes them over on the CTS-V forum, along with the linkage bushings and shifter isolators (at #4 in photo above). Got the CTS-V parts and they did not fit my car. My car is an early build, coming off the production line in November 2002, and have found a number of generic CTS parts that simply do not fit. The isolators sent were a different design, and the stock shifter linkage connection was wider than the modified CTS-V short throw shifter. I ended up adding a machined spacer to make up the difference.

I would post a photo I dug up, but it is way oversized and cannot resize it on my iPad to fit the format size required here.

The point here is that while there may be differences between short throw shifters made for the CTS-V (the only ones with short throw shifters available) and our V6 cars, do not expect a direct bolt-in solution. You might have to do a quick redesign to get it functional. It should not be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSjones View Post
    I would post a photo I dug up, but it is way oversized and cannot resize it on my iPad to fit the format size required here.
    But it's an Apple product!! Shouldn't it automatically sense what you want to do and just do it?!

I'll shoot you a PM with my email. Send me the pic and I'll post it up.

^ Sent.

Thanks!

So I take it the shiny silver bit is the machined spacer you added?

Yeah.

The u shaped yoke on my 5 speed shift linkage was wider than what is on a CTS-V. So I made the washer to take up the added clearance. On the cheap, one could fit flat-washers.

Also, I had to get a new outer pivot housing (the white inside the black mount), as the white ball pivot diameter was different between shifters too.

So I sat down, finished reading the thread, climbed in the car and followed the directions. I put it in reverse, pushed forward and pulled up. Nothing. I wondered... and it looks like I was right..

CTS-V shift pattern:
    4619506627327038.JPG
    CTS shift pattern:
    securedownload (2).jpg

Reverse is on the opposite side. Therefore halting my progress and wondering if I figured out why the other guy had an issue with reverse on his v6 cts as well. This would also be different from the 5 speed as mentioned above. What do you guys think?

P.S I still wanna get into there and take pictures along with possibly getting better bushings..

Does not matter. The shift pattern is determined by the rod protruding from the rear of the transmission that the shift linkage connects to. Near #2 in the lower assembly drawing above

Basically, when you shift into Reverse, you move the shifter handle to the far left (this rotates the rod counterclockwise) then forward (this moves the rod forward). The rod locks into gear with a positive detent. To shift to First, you pull the shifter back from Reverse (moves the rod back), then move the shifter to the right and up (rotates the rod clockwise and moves it forward). To shift to Second, pull the shifter all the way back (moves the rod back). And on up the gears...

Its easy to see from under the car with a buddy inside shifting thru the gears.

As far as the other guy's problem installing the B&M shifter, that is a whole 'nother can-o-worms.

Ahh, nevermind then haha. You're saying it'll all work the same with one from the V, I see. So removal of the shifter would be the exact same thing even though reverse is on the opposite side, meaning I just need to push and pull harder?

You don't have to have the shifter in reverse to get the knob off. Just put the lever in whatever position is easiest for you to get leverage. Try to twist the knob as you pull up as hard as you can (pulling alone probably won't pop it free, but if you try to twist it back and forth at the same time it should come off pretty quickly). Be careful not to hit yourself in the face as you're pulling up as hard as you can in the cramped confines of the car and the knob suddenly pops loose.

So, did you ever get a chance to look at this some more, JayDohn?

Sorry for the late reply, I have not attempted this yet but plan on doing so within the next two weeks. I was considering selling the car and getting into something new but I'm not sure yet and didn't want to potentially mess it up. If I keep the CTS I'll definitely get right into this and get a short throw somehow or at least new bushings. I will update as soon as I do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.