My upper control arm super close to my 17inch rims
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, My upper control arm super close to my 17inch rims in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Is it normal for the stock 17s with 225 50 17 tires to be like hella close to my upper ...
    AlpineCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Is it normal for the stock 17s with 225 50 17 tires to be like hella close to my upper control arms in front on my 04 cts 3.6? I mean i got a lot of tire noise that turns into a vibration at high speeds and i got a place telling me my tire is scraping my control arm. Theres no marks on my upper control arms or tire they are super close though the little tiny rubber needles on the inside of my tires are for sure hitting the upper control arms but not the actual side wall and this is on both of my front wheels. I would like to point out i got a new subframe because i hit the other one by the bottom radiator mount. This shop put a 05-07 2.8L subframe on my 04 3.6 but i already verified they are the exact same gm part number and everything. I do have a little road rash on my lower control arms from bottoming out though. I have already had my wheels balanced and alighned. I mean im not sure whether this is just my tires making this noise on their own or theres something wrong with my suspension. Anyone got any opinions? Thanks already

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package

Re: My upper control arm super close to my 17inch rims

My stock 17's were extremely close too but never rubbed or hit. I just put 20's on and was a little worried I would hit up top on turns but they don't.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Unless your wheel bearings are shot, there's no way for that gap to change, so that small clearance is fine.

And if there are no signs of rubbing on the tire or the control arm, then clearly the shop is feeding you bull.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC
    Unless your wheel bearings are shot, there's no way for that gap to change, so that small clearance is fine. And if there are no signs of rubbing on the tire or the control arm, then clearly the shop is feeding you bull.
    My wheels bearings in front are under 4 months old i dont remember when i threw those on exactly and they are tight ass hell i have literally no play in either wheels at all. But i 100% agree about being fed bull lol. I think there may be a chance ive got faulty tires and this tire place is trying to screw me by claiming its the subframe i had put on when its there ****ing tires cause they still under warranty. They are some 850 or so dollar avid envigors though which makes me question it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260
    My stock 17's were extremely close too but never rubbed or hit. I just put 20's on and was a little worried I would hit up top on turns but they don't.
    Yeah i really dont think mine is really hitting but i can see those little rubber needles that come out a half a cm or so from the tire sidewall's surface are touchin it. Im gonna see if its tire/ bent rim noise today i think ill do a quick rotation.

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I run the 17 dts 9 spoke on my cts. Same tire dimensions. In machining .001 might as well be a mile and the same applies to most other components. That said, if the rubber isn't rubbing, then it's not. I'm unclear what the issue is like loud noise, wired noise etc. hard to imagine over a forum. Start with the simple things first, tire balance, tire pressure, work to the ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings. Take measurements with calipers. Then compare to known dimensions or ask one of us to measure ours.
    Ps, I hear these guys running 850 dollar tires all the time...not trying to throw stuff at you, but all I ever run are 20 dollar used tires. Just a suggestion if you haven't thought about it but I get down the road just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by holsgo
    I run the 17 dts 9 spoke on my cts. Same tire dimensions. In machining .001 might as well be a mile and the same applies to most other components. That said, if the rubber isn't rubbing, then it's not. I'm unclear what the issue is like loud noise, wired noise etc. hard to imagine over a forum. Start with the simple things first, tire balance, tire pressure, work to the ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings. Take measurements with calipers. Then compare to known dimensions or ask one of us to measure ours. Ps, I hear these guys running 850 dollar tires all the time...not trying to throw stuff at you, but all I ever run are 20 dollar used tires. Just a suggestion if you haven't thought about it but I get down the road just the same.
    If i could post pics on here i would its barely scraping i went up to a chevy dealer and found 3 gen 1 CTS and all had almost the same spacing between the wheel and control arm as mine. I already figured out the issue is much bigger than i thought. Supposedly (according to NTB) one of my wheels is 2 degrees off (worse than right after the accident) and is unalignable. Now i get to yell at autotire for lying and faking the numbers on 2 wheel alignments that ive had since the subframe got swapped and this collision shop put a already bent subframe on my car from some junkyard hunk. Not saying you cant get good parts from junkyard cars cause i have in the past for other cars but the dude that ordered this thing wasnt to smart. I was just pointing out the 850 tires cause those have been pissed away now they werent even 2 years old yet and they worn from driving 700miles cause autotire told me my [car] was aligned and visually its not far enough off to tell (except the obviously uneven tread wear that i can see now).

Now i got to go fight for my money back from these autotire guys and the dude who put on the subframe. Again reinforcing my hatred for other people working on my cars wish i had a fat lift to just do this myself cause honestly its a couple bolts....

Well, anything is fixable. I have a welder and an Oxy/Acetylene cutting torch that would tell me that we can move metal anywhere we want. What you seem to need is to find the guy who is similarly equipped and has some suspension knowledge. Now, I'm not saying to go cutting on your car, but I remember working with guys in the 80's who would truly fix things vs replace parts.
    Un-alignable? Which way is it out? I find it hard to imagine you can't gain 2 degrees to correct it unless you are on the last thread of the tire rod.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineCTS View Post
    Supposedly (according to NTB) one of my wheels is 2 degrees off (worse than right after the accident) and is unalighnable.
    What spec is 2* off? Caster? Camber? Toe? In what direction? Why is it only "supposedly" 2* off? Did they show you the car on the alignment rack and show you whatever adjustment is maxed out? Did they give you a print out?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineCTS View Post
    I was just pointing out the 850 tires cause those have been pissed away now they werent even 2 years old yet and they worn all ****** from driving 700miles cause autotire told me my [car] was alighned and visually its not far enough off to tell (except the obviously uneven tread wear that i can see now).
    So your tires looked fine, you went and got an alignment at Autotire, and then 700 miles later the tires are worn out? Worn out how? What do they look like? What are the alignment numbers (camber, caster and toe) on the print out that Autotire gave you after the alignment 700 miles ago?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

What he just asked...^
    I can't remember all the terms all the time.

I had a 1 degree camber and one front wheel was 2degree toe still supposedly. Pretty much my tires are wearing excessively on the outside im pretty sure im gonna have this place put in a brand new subframe. The one they got definately looks like it came off a car that hopped a considerable curb so pretty sure they got a bent one based on the big concrete scratches in it.

----------

Autotire lied and fudged my numbers lol o well my tires have a warranty there so they ****ed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.