2005 3.6 - oil consumption issue - can someone tell me why - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2005 3.6 - oil consumption issue - can someone tell me why in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; 040 is way to think in the winter, and too thin in the Sumer. 5-30 is what is recommended. Mine ...
    ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    040 is way to think in the winter, and too thin in the Sumer. 5-30 is what is recommended. Mine is at 122k and I go through about 1 quart every 2000 miles.

HawkzillaCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L

Re: 2005 3.6 - oil consumption issue - can someone tell me why

Timing chain stretch is a common issue on the 3.6. Mine was consuming oil at the rate of 1 qt per 1,000 miles. I had other signs of the stretched chain so i had it replaced and my car hasn't burned a drop in 3,500 miles.

Listen for a brief rattle or scraping noise at a cold start or feel for a noticeable wobble while idling. Mine did both of those things and since I got the chain replaced it has ran like brand new. $1300 was the bill, but worth every penny since I plan on keeping my CTS for a long time.

PS - I had them keep all the guides and chains that they replaced and they confirmed it was stretched. The guides were really worn as well. If the chain stretches too much on these VVT 3.6 engines it can result in engine death, so be cautious.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Quote Originally Posted by HawkzillaCTS View Post
    Timing chain stretch is a common issue on the 3.6. Mine was consuming oil at the rate of 1 qt per 1,000 miles. I had other signs of the stretched chain so i had it replaced and my car hasn't burned a drop in 3,500 miles.

Listen for a brief rattle or scraping noise at a cold start or feel for a noticeable wobble while idling. Mine did both of those things and since I got the chain replaced it has ran like brand new. $1300 was the bill, but worth every penny since I plan on keeping my CTS for a long time.

PS - I had them keep all the guides and chains that they replaced and they confirmed it was stretched. The guides were really worn as well. If the chain stretches too much on these VVT 3.6 engines it can result in engine death, so be cautious.
    That is very interesting, I have heard of the timing chain stretching due to oil being burned but I haven't heard of the opposite of that story.

Mine consumes 1qt/ 1000 miles and I do feel a minor wobble at idle it's not as smooth as I would like it to be. I don't hear a noise at startup, however, when it was -15F / -26C out there and started my engine the engine had this major whine for 3 seconds then it went away, I assumed it was due to the oil taking a while to lubricate the upper parts of the engine. And that happened whenever the car was started around -15F / -26C. Could it be that my timing chain is what's driving my oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    That is very interesting, I have heard of the timing chain stretching due to oil being burned but I haven't heard of the opposite of that story.

Mine consumes 1qt/ 1000 miles and I do feel a minor wobble at idle it's not as smooth as I would like it to be. I don't hear a noise at startup, however, when it was -15F / -26C out there and started my engine the engine had this major whine for 3 seconds then it went away, I assumed it was due to the oil taking a while to lubricate the upper parts of the engine. And that happened whenever the car was started around -15F / -26C. Could it be that my timing chain is what's driving my oil consumption.
    Yes, mine only made that brief noise at very cold start-ups as well. It sounded different with the windows up so I made sure to hang my head out my window and keep the garage door shut when I started one very cold morning (I have a detached garage so it was still well below freezing) and could hear the chain slapping against the engine case. It would only last a few seconds but was a very distinct rattle.

I knew replacing the chain wouldn't be cheap so I researched the hell out of the CTS 3.6 and read story after story (mostly ticked off CTS owners who's engines blew as a result of chain failure) and they all had a common theme... burning oil rapidly before their engine died. My theory (and it is total speculation) is that the chain being loose is playing a factor into oil consumption and eventually your CTS burns oil so rapidly (perhaps from being slightly off sync?) that the owner that doesn't check their oil daily is driving with hardly any oil at all and then the chain finally stretches to the point of engine failure.

Again, I have no idea because I am not a mechanic, but I know there are a lot of stories about that out there and I know that my CTS went from idling rough and burning oil, to purrrrring and hasn't burned a drop since my new chain. And the Caddy dealer service guy said it was indeed slightly stretched (he said it was so loose the tensioners were at their limit), and while I take what those guys say with a grain of salt, I believe him considering I had already paid for the job and told him not to feel bad if the chain was fine.

Oh, and if you do have the chain replaced you may want to to have them replace all the sprockets, guides, etc that are in there while they are at it. Those parts are cheap, it's the labor that you are ponying up for. I believe it is like 13 hrs standard mechanic rate? Might as well get all new parts in there while they have it cracked open.

One cool thing when I got mine done I asked to make sure they tell me if they see any sludge or signs of engine damage/ware because I had just bought the car and they said it was very CLEAN and looked excellent. Gives me a sense of security since I know I will be babying my CTS.

Yes, mine only made that brief noise at very cold start-ups as well. It sounded different with the windows up so I made sure to hang my head out my window and keep the garage door shut when I started one very cold morning (I have a detached garage so it was still well below freezing) and could hear the chain slapping against the engine case. It would only last a few seconds but was a very distinct rattle.

I knew replacing the chain wouldn't be cheap so I researched the hell out of the CTS 3.6 and read story after story (mostly ticked off CTS owners who's engines blew as a result of chain failure) and they all had a common theme... burning oil rapidly before their engine died. My theory (and it is total speculation) is that the chain being loose is playing a factor into oil consumption and eventually your CTS burns oil so rapidly (perhaps from being slightly off sync?) that the owner that doesn't check their oil daily is driving with hardly any oil at all and then the chain finally stretches to the point of engine failure.

Again, I have no idea because I am not a mechanic, but I know there are a lot of stories about that out there and I know that my CTS went from idling rough and burning oil, to purrrrring and hasn't burned a drop since my new chain. And the Caddy dealer service guy said it was indeed slightly stretched (he said it was so loose the tensioners were at their limit), and while I take what those guys say with a grain of salt, I believe him considering I had already paid for the job and told him not to feel bad if the chain was fine.

Oh, and if you do have the chain replaced you may want to to have them replace all the sprockets, guides, etc that are in there while they are at it. Those parts are cheap, it's the labor that you are ponying up for. I believe it is like 13 hrs standard mechanic rate? Might as well get all new parts in there while they have it cracked open.

One cool thing when I got mine done I asked to make sure they tell me if they see any sludge or signs of engine damage/ware because I had just bought the car and they said it was very CLEAN and looked excellent. Gives me a sense of security since I know I will be babying my CTS.
    Well my friend I believe you, and this time I've got an ace up my sleeve, GM's 2007 CTS timing chain warranty which I still have. It's time to buy me a stroboscope and some white paint, if my timing is off I will know.

If I can prove my timing chain is causing the oil burning or not, if my timing is off and the chain is indeed stretched then GM better pony up and fix it because I have really just about had it with opening my hood to top off with a quarter of a quart of oil every 250 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    Well my friend I believe you, and this time I've got an ace up my sleeve, GM's 2007 CTS timing chain warranty which I still have. It's time to buy me a stroboscope and some white paint, if my timing is off I will know.

If I can prove my timing chain is causing the oil burning or not, if my timing is off and the chain is indeed stretched then GM better pony up and fix it because I have really just about had it with opening my hood to top off with a quarter of oil every 250 miles.
    Booyah, I believe you will be very happy then. I don't think you will have much trouble having GM cover it, especially if you have it done and make sure to get all the parts and chains back and the service center confirms it was stretched. That's a massive amount of oil consumption, so hopefully you will dodge a HUGE bullet and have your CTS running like new when it's all said and done.

Oh, and I would be sure to use a Caddy service center if possible (no offense intended if this was obvious advice). I called around and my local Caddy dealership was a hundred dollars cheaper than local guys and they know how to pull apart a CTS so it took away a lot of the worry of things getting the dreaded "um, yeah, we got your CTS open and well..." phone call.

Booyah, I believe you will be very happy then. I don't think you will have much trouble having GM cover it, especially if you have it done and make sure to get all the parts and chains back and the service center confirms it was stretched. That's a massive amount of oil consumption, so hopefully you will dodge a HUGE bullet and have your CTS running like new when it's all said and done.

Oh, and I would be sure to use a Caddy service center if possible (no offense intended if this was obvious advice). I called around and my local Caddy dealership was a hundred dollars cheaper than local guys and they know how to pull apart a CTS so it took away a lot of the worry of things getting the dreaded "um, yeah, we got your CTS open and well..." phone call.
    I wasn't clear when I said quarter that wasn't a typo of a quart, I meant 1/4 of a quart every 250 miles. That's as low as let it go before I top off which conicides with about every gas fill-up.

But none the less, when I head back home I'm getting a stroboscope and checking if there's any play with my timing. And obviously and most definitely if GM approves it I will have the work done by a Cadillac dealership.

vec666 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

will its always winter in scotland last year we had 4 warm summer days so should i just stick with 040 oil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.