About To Buy A 2006 CTS, Then This Happened, Insight?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, About To Buy A 2006 CTS, Then This Happened, Insight? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys. Found a pretty good deal on a 2006 CTS 2.8, 6 speed stick, black with black leather interior. ...
    BiznessMoney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2.8 6 speed stick, black on black

About To Buy A 2006 CTS, Then This Happened, Insight?

Hey guys.

Found a pretty good deal on a 2006 CTS 2.8, 6 speed stick, black with black leather interior. 180,000 KM

The guy said it has been in storage for a while so I kept that in mind checking through the car but wanted to hear other opinions.

So, I go meet the guy and first thing I notice is the engine sounds a bit rough, not to the point of concern, but just a little rough.

Took it for a test drive and restarted it a couple times and notice it hesitated a bit to start, so already i'm think battery or alternator or perhaps something with the belt since it sounds and ran a BIT rough, again though not that noticeable.

So after the test drive it just started POURING fluid out of the back near bottom side of the engine, couldn't really tell if it was tranny or coolant but I assume it was coolant.

Anyways the guy is getting it fixed and let me know his mechanic found the leak and is fixing a "cooper tube" of some sort that its leaking from.

Also noticed, from inside the car, it smelled a bit like fuel ( just a hint ), but I think thats just cause it was in storage like the guy said.

What do you guys think? Do the signs point to something major? Everything else seemed fine to me.

I'm 21 and spending that kind of money in cash scares me a bit with this car haha, any help / insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: About To Buy A 2006 CTS, Then This Happened, Insight?

God has given you all the signs you need, now all you have to do is not jump into the fire that awaits you.

In layman terms, just walk away dude.

And what copper tubes?? AFAIK OEM cooler lines, brake lines...etc are mild steel / aluminum am I missing something here?

Chris 78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 Seville SLS 4.6L, '05 CTS 3.6L

Probably the infamous transmission cooler line failure, endemic to these cars. Quite possibly, since it failed while parked and is being fixed right away, things might not be so bad although I've read a lot of posts here about damage to the transmission if all that coolant doesn't get flushed out thoroughly. And good luck!

Yeah, well I mean he is getting it fixed and it is a good price because its outside the city quite a ways no one wants to go that far for a car haha.

I have been reading there is a problem with the tranny cooler line with the CTS's, if thats the only issue there I still want to get it, its a beautiful car, mint exterior and interior.

Thanks!

I guess what I was trying to ask as well is, what are the known issues with the CTS besides that cooler line?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BiznessMoney View Post
    Yeah, well I mean he is getting it fixed and it is a good price because its outside the city quite a ways no one wants to go that far for a car haha.

I have been reading there is a problem with the tranny cooler line with the CTS's, if thats the only issue there I still want to get it, its a beautiful car, mint exterior and interior.

Thanks!

I guess what I was trying to ask as well is, what are the known issues with the CTS besides that cooler line?

Cheers
    Well I understand your enthusiasm, but honestly if you insist on that car, get it inspected professionally is my best advice hire a mechanic it'll cost you a $100 but if he's a good reputable mechanic and the car is a possible Lemon he'll catch it. Things like compression test, eye examination of the frame, checking diagnostic codes and historical diagnostic codes speaks volumes about what the car has been through. Also have you checked the vehicle history reports?

Have you asked the seller for copies of maintenance records? You are assuming so much based on it's mint. Again your enthusiasm for the car is blinding you. You mentioned an engine vibration do you know what that is? Well an experienced mechanic should know.

I'll leave you with two resources and I highly advise you to read them well:

How to Check out a Used Car Before Buying It

From the FAQ/DIY sticky thread at the top of this forum:

Common Issues and recalls
    Transmission Coolant Line - Primary Issue #1
    Timing Chain on 3.6 / 2.8 - Primary Issue #2
    Brake Hose Line Recall for Cold / Winter states / Countries
    Steering Recall
    Passenger seat airbag Recall
    Rear Differential Pinion Seal Recall
    ECM Reprogram for Fuel Delivery Recall
    3.2 Common issues: PCV valve TSB, Valve Cover Leak, Crank Position Sensor
    Wiper/sprayer motor failure

And I would like to add to that oil consumption last but not least a very common problem might affect 3.6L CTSs more than the 2.8L CTS but no reason to assume that car doesn't consume oil. I see on this forum a good number of CTSs burn oil, some due to a bad PCV system some due worn / gummed rings. Timing chain failure also is a major issue....these are things I would bring to the attention of the inspecting mechanic to focus on if I were you.

Good luck.
    mmvvt and mattt0305 like this.

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

It's a 6 speed so no trans cooler lines. If coolant was pouring out the back of the engine and said it was a pipe it's the outlet assembly for the heater hoses. If its the original clutch you will soon need a clutch and flywheel. Steer clear if you don't have a couple of grand laying around for repairs. The rough idle bothers me the most here as timing chains are notorious. The check engine light on? Run don't walk.
    CTSjones, CTSM and Ikera like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mattt0305 View Post
    It's a 6 speed so no trans cooler lines. If coolant was pouring out the back of the engine and said it was a pipe it's the outlet assembly for the heater hoses. If its the original clutch you will soon need a clutch and flywheel. Steer clear if you don't have a couple of grand laying around for repairs. The rough idle bothers me the most here as timing chains are notorious. The check engine light on? Run don't walk.
    Silly me I completely missed that he was talking about a manual...and Matt's right run and look for a better example of what you like. Maybe OP you can score a 3.6 CTS they are dirt cheap these days.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 78 View Post
    Probably the infamous transmission cooler line failure, endemic to these cars. Quite possibly, since it failed while parked and is being fixed right away, things might not be so bad although I've read a lot of posts here about damage to the transmission if all that coolant doesn't get flushed out thoroughly. And good luck!
    It's a manual transmission, which means there is no transmission fluid cooler. So no lines breaking.

KOT

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

So after the test drive it just started POURING fluid out of the back near bottom side of the engine, couldn't really tell if it was tranny or coolant but I assume it was coolant.

Anyways the guy is getting it fixed and let me know his mechanic found the leak and is fixing a "cooper tube" of some sort that its leaking from.
    Transmission fluid and engine coolant are two very different things, so if you couldn't tell what it was I would find that a bit alarming.

And is that supposed to be "copper tube" or "cooler tube"? Either way, you need to know what exactly was wrong and how it is being fixed.

What do you guys think? Do the signs point to something major? Everything else seemed fine to me.
    CTSM's reply has some great advice. A bunch of people on the internet who've never seen the car in question can't tell you if it's a good deal or not, particularly since you haven't told us what else you checked. Just because the car is cosmetically clean doesn't mean the mechanicals aren't shot. You need to do your due diligence (having the car professionally inspected, checking all of the maintenance records the owner has, checking status of recalls - all the stuff in CTSM's post and in the link he posted) if you want to be sure you're getting a solid car.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Not trying to be a dick but if you buy this car you're an idiot. Too many problems and if you don't have like 3 or 4 grand just to fix it plus the additional 2 grand you'll want to spend on upgrades, it won't be worth it. Find a CTS with lower mileage and in better condition. You are buying a problem car.

I'm getting it professionally inspected, wet and dry compression tests, checking the timing belt, everything.

If it comes back clean I'm going to buy it, no doubt, It's have to find one with the black interior in my area and not the tan.

Thanks!

I'm getting it professionally inspected, wet and dry compression tests, checking the timing belt, everything.

If it comes back clean I'm going to buy it, no doubt, It's have to find one with the black interior in my area and not the tan.

Thanks!
    Also get the car's VIN run both an Autocheck and Carfax report on it that is a must as well.
    CTSjones likes this.

Thanks for the help

One more question, I want to scan the car myself, but I was reading and people are saying OBll doesnt work and some say it does work

What scanner do I need for a 2006 2.8?

Thanks

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by BiznessMoney
    Thanks for the help One more question, I want to scan the car myself, but I was reading and people are saying OBll doesnt work and some say it does work What scanner do I need for a 2006 2.8? Thanks
    OBD 2. Whoever is saying that a standard OBD 2 doesn't work, obviously doesn't know that by law it's suppose to work. ALL cars 1996 and later are to work with a standard OBD2 reader. Granted there are some codes that are brand specific, but any engine code is going to work.

KOT
    mattt0305 and CTSM like this.

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Thanks!
    . Just to keep you from getting ripped off in the inspection the 2.8/3.6 hfv6 have chains, very expensive problematic chains. Only the early cars with 3.2 had a belt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.