Brand of oil - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Brand of oil in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I've never used 5W30. Never. Winter 0W40, spring and autumn 5W40, summer 10w40. Always Mobil. Always 100% synthetics without hydrocracking. ...
    sandalet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic

Re: Brand of oil

I've never used 5W30. Never. Winter 0W40, spring and autumn 5W40, summer 10w40. Always Mobil. Always 100% synthetics without hydrocracking. Mileage my car about 500 thousand kilometers. Personally, I drove 90 thousand km. Probably my caddy like my careful approach to the selection of oil. That is why he is always in order and never breaks.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Again, all the wrong viscosities.

.....But what do engineers know. Only owners REALLY know what their engines need .

jran0823 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Everywhere I've read the recommended viscosity is 5w-30. I haven't seen 10w-30 recommended by GM since the 3800 was discontinued. My car has run Mobil 1 5w-30 since new. The only time it used oil is when the valve covers leaked. 140k on it now and it doesn't use oil in between oil changes and I do mine every 7500.

2 different online PDF versions of the owners manual show 10W-30 as recommended above 0 degrees F and 5W-30 as acceptable, for an '03 CTS.

In any case, 0W-"anything", and "anything" W-40, are incorrect.

My caddy lucky GM engineers wanted him immediately crumbled after the warranty period. But his owner decided that the caddy will live long. "Wrong" owner uses oil with the "wrong" viscosity. And so the Caddy has a "wrong" high mileage, 6.5 liters of fuel per 100 km and 7.5 seconds to 100 km \ h and "wrong" no problems. How live a long time your Cadillacs with "proper viscosity" and "right" problems - can be seen on this forum.

I'm just saying its probably not the best idea to suggest using the wrong fluids on a public forum.

Sorry, there are ordinary people communicate rather than discussing the constitution senators))) Someone suggests, others discuss, everyone draws conclusions . Internet is accessible to all!)))
    I recommend the hot season on cars with high mileage use synthetic(only!) oil Mobil 10v40. To act anyway-a private matter.

lrock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac cts
    My Manuel says 5w30 was using valvoline but since I'm reaching 100 just wanted to know what everyone opinion on a high mileage brand. Like always. The forum is very helpful in reading your comments. So. Thanks.

CoachGreg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Have 158k miles on my '05 3.8L. Don't use anything but Mobil 1 5W-30 high mileage for about the past 100k miles. Still consumes a bit of oil, change oil about every 5k miles.

Thought about using a quart of slick 50 but forget to buy it in advance. Anybody have any experience with slick 50 products?had several people recommend it.

Go back to post #3. GM specifically recommends not using oil additives. They'll do nothing but lighten your wallet anyway. NO automobile or engine manufacturer recommends or endorse oil additives.

Read your owners manual, use the correct oil type and viscosity, regardless of age, mileage, or phase if the moon. The rest of the car will fall apart and be in a salvage yard LONG before any lubrication related engine failure takes place.

Want to use a "high mileage" oil? Go right ahead, as long as it doesn't advertise that it slows/stops leaks. That's done by causing the seals to swell, which eventually makes the leaks worse.

Want to use synthetic? Great, no downside besides price.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Again, all the wrong viscosities.

.....But what do engineers know. Only owners REALLY know what their engines need .

good point, but what engineers recommend and what is stated in the manual isn't the always the same. Otherwise the recommened oil grade wouldn't change on the same engine for a different year without any actual changes to the said engine. ei 2003 CTS 3.2 Manual Recommends 10W-30 Above 0 F, in 2004 CTS 3.2 Manual Recommends 5W-30 for all temps.
    The manual states what GM wants it to state not necessarily what engineers recommended.

with that said I use Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 (Synthetic Blend)

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The owner's manual for my '06 only requires that the oil be 5-30W and meet spec GM6094M. No mention of synthetic except indirectly on the oil cap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.