Sport mode stopped working in my CTS today...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CTSM
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Sport mode stopped working in my CTS today... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Update: So got home today, found the shifter assembly I ordered waiting, rolled back my sleeves and got to the ...
    CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Sport mode stopped working in my CTS [FIXED]

Update:

So got home today, found the shifter assembly I ordered waiting, rolled back my sleeves and got to the replacement. Tested it before I remove the old one, sport mode came back on right away. So then I dug in took me an hour to seal my baby back up and take it on some back roads for a joy ride. I drive my car almost like I would drive a manual 90 % of the time, so this past week it has really sucked driving just in D all the time and not even having sport mode let alone manual shifting.

Hopefully this info helps someone who's running into the same problem. If sport fails to enable in your CTS and nothing looks out of place, the switch in the shifter assembly is broken and a new assembly is in order.

----------------------------------------------------------

So I was driving my car around lunchtime (stunning weather out there today BTW ), my car was in sport mode, I went over a railroad crossing that is atop of a a crest in the road and then down again, after I hit the the top the sport mode indicator flickered and then went off.

I found that very odd, so I moved the shifter into D and back into Sport and that still didn't enable sport mode again.

So I'm thinking the module on top of the shifter probably has a broken switch??

Hope someone ran into this before me, I removed the cover didn't see any loose wiring now wondering what to do with this now, probably need to buy a replacement shifter assembly

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Year of car would be helpful. My 04,has a button, doesn't sound like yours does. Sounds more like you have the shiftable automatic type where you move the lever over. Either way. Sounds like a switch broke to mr

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Sport mode stopped working in my CTS today...

Since your profile states that you have an 07. what happens when you shift it "manually"?
    What about at first start up, when all lights are lit up?

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    Year of car would be helpful. My 04,has a button, doesn't sound like yours does. Sounds more like you have the shiftable automatic type where you move the lever over. Either way. Sounds like a switch broke to mr
    It's an 07 with the sport shifter, it sounds like that to me. I took it apart today tried to poke around inside there definitely looks like the car is not getting the signal from the switch. If I weren't away from home I would have access to much more tools to diagnose this. But my money is on the switch on the shifter being broken or loose and now it's always in an open position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Since your profile states that you have an 07. what happens when you shift it "manually"?
    What about at first start up, when all lights are lit up?

KOT
    Nothing happens when I shift it manually KOT. At first startup the sport mode button doesn't light up and normally it doesn't so I don't think we can learn anything from that.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Were you airborne as you went over the RR crossing?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Were you airborne as you went over the RR crossing?
    Slightly haha, but it's a straight down hill after the rail road crossing so it was more of a quick up and down thing. It's a an exciting roller coaster feeling as you come down from that crest. I cross that road many times a year always spooks the heck out of my passengers as that dip is just unexpected, it's not a rough thing, just more of going up and down fast. But my sport mode switch happened to die as I was doing that...just a coincidence I think.

I snagged a shifter assembly online for a great deal, we'll see what happens when I get that in. I'm tempted to hack the connector and add a manual sport swich, but it if the replacement does the trick I'll stick with the factory setup.

So got home today, found the shifter assembly I ordered waiting, rolled back my sleeves and got to the replacement. Tested it before I remove the old one, sport mode came back on right away. So then I dug in took me an hour to seal my baby back up and take it on some back roads for a joy ride. I drive my car almost like I would drive a manual 90 % of the time, so this past week it has really sucked driving just in D all the time and not even having sport mode let alone manual shifting.

Hopefully this info helps someone who's running into the same problem. If sport fails to enable in your CTS and nothing looks out of place, the switch in the shifter assembly is broken and a new assembly is in order.
    mattt0305 likes this.

I don't know about you. But there are times where mine doesn't get out of Sports mode...

Either the S with the gear around it stays in dashboard after being slapped into D. Or the odometer still shows what gear it's in when the shifter is in D. it just depends on whether I was in just Sports mode or in manual mode.

Funny thing is I was just thinking about this after I originally read your post. Then I went on a 5 hour drive and it happened during that drive. Whenever it happens, I wish I could think about coming to a stop to see if it's in 1st or 2nd.

KOT

KOT it definitely sounds like your switch could be on it's way out, might want to prepare for the possibility that one day either sport mode will always be on when you are in D or it will never enable again with that shifter. 10-15K miles started to misbehave on rare occasions just like yours did. I would be in sport mode then move the lever to D and the sport mode light was still on. Then I moved it back to sport and then to D and it went away. Looks like these switches are pretty poor considering the age of and sub 100K mileage of my car.

It's been 4 years and 75,000 miles, currently 124K, since I first noticed my problem. If it happens I'll be prepared.

I wonder if one of my PDFs has the switch with a physical location.

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.