no start, all dash lights no turn over?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, no start, all dash lights no turn over? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2003 CTS 3.2. I got off work today and went to start my car , all the ...
    pearl03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

no start, all dash lights no turn over?

I have a 2003 CTS 3.2. I got off work today and went to start my car , all the dash lights came up like normal with key in on position, turn key to start and nothing at all, all dash lights went out and the gas gage went to empty. After about 15 minutes and 10 tries it finally started and got home. Any ideas of what it could be? Battery is new and I have had the CPS replaced .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Re: no start, all dash lights no turn over?

It sounds like symptoms of a dead battery but you said it was new. Are all the cables to the battery tight? Next time it happens, beep the horn to see if you have power there. My next guess is the ECM, it cant hurt to release the "lock-down clamp" to the ECMs, lift the cables and re-seat them, just in case there is a connection problem there.

Thanks... where is the ECM located? By the way battery is at 14.7 v

This issue is intermittent, I can go days even weeks with no starting issues, then have a day that every start takes 10-15 min. Of trying. Turn key to on position all dash lights light up ,gas gauge moves up... etc... turn key to start and absolutely nothing. No click, nothing... all dash lights go off and gas gauge returns to empty. Then after a number of tries , car starts up and all is fine. ?????????

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by pearl03 View Post
    This issue is intermittent, I can go days even weeks with no starting issues, then have a day that every start takes 10-15 min. Of trying. Turn key to on position all dash lights light up ,gas gauge moves up... etc... turn key to start and absolutely nothing. No click, nothing... all dash lights go off and gas gauge returns to empty. Then after a number of tries , car starts up and all is fine. ?????????
    Any progress on this? I think Sammy Z's question about the battery cables may be on track (assuming you haven't resolved this some other way already). I've had intermittent no-start issues with 2 of my cars on different occasions, and both times it was due to the battery cables. Even if the cables look good, there could be corrosion inside (under the insulation), or there could be bad connections at either end.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

ifit happens again check if ure door locks work when it acts up and see if it starts from neutral. i had neutral safety switch go

Thanks for all the help, turns out my 18 month old battery was shot, not holding a charge. Just had it replaced under warranty...... got my fingers crossed that's all it was. If I don't add anymore comments you'll no the new battery fixed the issue. Thanks again..

Well its three days later, worked great for those days volts was reading 14.7 v but today, no start battery reading 12.1 v. Only code I pulled was P0446H evap. That's usually gas cap. The killer is this time it won't even jump start. Scratching my head.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    With the engine running, you're seeing charging voltage, not battery voltage.

A healthy, fully charged 12 volt battery puts out 12.6 volts. 12.0 volts is dead. 12.1 is essentially dead. Have it load tested, replace if necessary.

New battery tested "good" .going to have to take it to the dealer , anyone good at amputating arms and legs.....lol...

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Could be the purge solenoid, does it happen after you fill the tank up with fuel?

No. It can happen any time, but I can't remember it ever not starting after I put gas in it.

As it turns out, it was a bad ECM. Had it replaced at dealer. They reprogrammed to my vin. Now everything is fine. Just a note, they needed both set of keys to do the reprogramming, with just set# 1 that I use the anti theft came up and they needed the other set to finish the programming. Had to go home and get them. All is good now.....cross fingers...

Well here we go again.... same day I got car back from dealer with brand new ECM the no crank, no start issue returns. Car started fine at dealership and the four stops I made before I got home. After dinner ( 3 hrs later) went to go to grocery store and same thing happened. Put key in turn to on , all dash lights come on, gas gauge moves etc, all normal things. Then turn key to start position and nothing, no click, nothing, dash lights go out, gas gauge returns to empty. After a couple of tries it starts. Car runs and drives fine, no engine lights on in dash, just everything normal. There must be someone who has had this issue and was able to have it figured out and fixed. Anybody?????

Pantherrilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 V6

i remember having this problem in my GM trailblazer, it was my ignition module, by the way pearl03, how much did the dealer charge you for that new ECM programmed out the door

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.