2003/4 CTS Base Model Updates? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003/4 CTS Base Model Updates? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally posted by Tyler80 From what I have heard: many people have called their dealers to see if the no ...
    peccles is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Originally posted by Tyler80
    From what I have heard: many people have called their dealers to see if the no manual transmission on the 3.6L is a mistake or to complain about GM only offering it on the 3.2L. What the dealers have said is manual transmission CTS's only account for 2% of total CTS sales. Basicially put, if people don't buy, dealers stop ordering, and manufactures stop producing.
    If that's the reason, then why keep the manual
    at all? Maybe they should make the auto
    standard and the manual and extra cost option
    like is done with the Corvette. Then the
    manual should be the same 6 speed that
    goes into the CTS-V.

The CTS has only been out one model year
    and probably has not attracted a high
    percentage of people that were not already
    considering a Cadillac purchase. If GM
    wants to continue to compare the CTS
    with the BMWs and be serious about it
    then a manual is needed with all engine
    options and especially the higher
    performance engines.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    if you ask me, the folks at GM are complicating the CTS...offer the 3.6L only with manual as an option and be done with it already!

Tyler80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS
    Honestly I agree with Chuck. Make the options simple, switch over to the 3.6L, offer the manual as an option, not standard and be done with it.

If GM wants to continue to compare the CTS with the BMWs and be serious about it then a manual is needed with all engine options and especially the higher performance engines.
    yes! let's talk about the new V6. Is it brand new? Anything special about it?

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate
    The optional engine is a ploy to keep the base msrp down ("see? almost no price increase!") while real-world prices jump. It will also guarantee the death of the manual transmission in all but the CSTv -- a shortsighted move in my opinion. If GM isn't selling manual transmissions they need to ask why instead of assuming there is no demand -- maybe their manual transmission is not competitive, or maybe the car is not attractive to sport-minded drivers. The competition offers manual transmissions. Production economies be damned, if you don't offer a manual, it's not a sports sedan, period.

.Jinx

letsgored is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    If you had to guess, what do you think the price difference will be between a 2004 3.2L with automatic and a 2004 3.6L with automatic? I'd like to get the 3.6L (assuming I can hold out until the 2004 models roll out --but that's another issue), but if it means paying through the nose, forget it. Part of the reason I ask is become I'm torn about whether to buy a 2003 or try to suck it up and wait until the 2004s come out, but if I wait and the prices spike up, I may have been better off trying to get a 2003 dealer inventory at a "must clear inventory" price.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Very untrue! Mercedes only offers its amgs in automatic simply because even the best race car drivers in the world would not be able to beat the time of the automatic shifting. If you can make it work and it has a higher demand, why bother with a stick?

Originally posted by Chuck C
    yes! let's talk about the new V6. Is it brand new? Anything special about it?
    255HP with 252 ft-lbs of torque. This is
    the GM high-feature V-6 with 4 valves
    per cylinder and variable valve timing.

Originally posted by letsgored
    If you had to guess, what do you think the price difference will be between a 2004 3.2L with automatic and a 2004 3.6L with automatic? I'd like to get the 3.6L (assuming I can hold out until the 2004 models roll out --but that's another issue), but if it means paying through the nose, forget it. Part of the reason I ask is become I'm torn about whether to buy a 2003 or try to suck it up and wait until the 2004s come out, but if I wait and the prices spike up, I may have been better off trying to get a 2003 dealer inventory at a "must clear inventory" price.
    There will still be '03's on the lot when the
    '04's arrive. You should have all the info
    you need to make your decision by Aug.

In addtion to the engine, rumor is the interior
    is getting an upgrade too. You will be able
    to order the sport package without having
    to get the luxury package with it.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    Originally posted by letsgored
    my question is what do you consider a spike? i would think the 3.6 would add no more than 5-6% to the sticker, plus the price of the auto trans too i guess. for a few k you could get the better engine and it will probably hold a little better resale so some of the money is coming back to you anyway.

Originally posted by peccles
    255HP with 252 ft-lbs of torque. This is
    the GM high-feature V-6 with 4 valves
    per cylinder and variable valve timing.
    i believe the new v-6 is 260hp, at least thats what it has in the SRX, im assuming they will be using same enigne, not that 5hp is a big deal

ill correct myself before anyone else gets a chance...255 hp it is.

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/030327_engine.html

that's a great article...question: what does "drumming" from the oil pan mean?

"For example, 90 percent of the 3.6L V-6's peak torque is available across a remarkably broad operating range, from 1,600 rpm to 5,800 rpm. "

Yea baby!

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black
    Buildingctsamg,

Not quite. Mercedes offers their AMG's with automatics because that is their target market. Not many people want a luxury sedan with a manual.
    Plus automatics sap power from the engine. Take a car with a manual and a car with an auto and put it on a chassis dyno and the manual will have more power at the wheels everytime.
    A manual also can shift faster than an automatic. (with a good driver of course).

You might be thinking of the manual transmissions that have been modified to shift automatically, like BMW's SMG and Ferrari's automanual. These transmissions rip off lightning quick shifts, fasster than any human can do. Even quicker than sequential manual transmissions that do not require the clutch to be used for an upshift or downshift.
    Since these are manual transmissions they do not have torque convertors and do not cost hp like a automatic does.

Porsche is not included in this list because it is an automatic that has been modified to shift manually if the operator wants.
    It's acceleration times are slower than a manual's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.