Rolling Fenders
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Rolling Fenders in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok, I have given up trying to find where my rear tires are rubbing since there appears to be plently ...
    tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Rolling Fenders

Ok, I have given up trying to find where my rear tires are rubbing since there appears to be plently of clearance. There are no plastic parts loose and everything in the wheel well looks good.

The only area that I can guess its rubbing is the metal lip on the wheel wells since the tire is wider and if i get the car to bounce high enough you can tell that the tire width would just does not clear the inner lips.

How have you guys rolled the fenders or what ever you call it? Do you have a picture to show me one that has been done so I can see what it looks like?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Rolling Fenders

You can roll your front fenders but you cannot roll the rear ones. The rear ones you have to trim them. What size are your wheels? that is weird that your rubbing I wouldn'r rub with 20x8.5 lowered I started rubbing when I switched to 20x10 in the rear.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

what's the offset on your wheel tomm?

Smokin' 04 CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior

you could ask for a "knuckle" to be installed, its like 20 bucks and prevents your rear suspension from bottoming out and rubbing. I ordered some for mine, just need to in and install them. I think its a lot better than cutting/trimming/rolling the fenders in that you do not risk any damage to the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_concours
    what's the offset on your wheel tomm?
    The offset is 40mm and the rims are 8" with 245/45 tires. The lip on the fenders just touches the tire when the car dips 2 inches after a high to low grade change. It never happens over bumps but hits every time I go over a hill at a decent speed.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by tomm
    The offset is 40mm and the rims are 8" with 245/45 tires. The lip on the fenders just touches the tire when the car dips 2 inches after a high to low grade change. It never happens over bumps but hits every time I go over a hill at a decent speed.
    That is so strange. We have identical set ups and mine doesn't rub. Do you see any scuff marks on the tire?

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

ditto!

05CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 CTS

Your in Jersey, every bump is a decent size.I'm from there and they have to be about the worst roads in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by 05CTS
    Here's how to roll your fenders.

That device looks like it swings a radius of a circle. Of course the wheel lip is not a circle, so how does it compensate?

Don't know, I just saw it yesterday in the magazine and thought it was pretty cool. My fenders look pretty round.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    That is so strange. We have identical set ups and mine doesn't rub. Do you see any scuff marks on the tire?
    Maybe my fender lips are wider than yours. If you measure the front fenders there is less than 1/2 of an inch of a lip and the tires go into the tire wells with no problems.

On the rears there is exactly 1" of lip in the center above the tire. I cleaned the lip good and took a drive until it rubbed and felt the lip and there was black from the tires on there.

So what do I do? There is about an 1/8" that sticks out on the lip in certain spots and I will try to take pictures later and I guess I could file these parts off but then I would have to deal with possible rust building up on that area.

If I could bend the inner lips up slightly that would also give me enough clearance and the problem would go away but I would have to pay a shop to do the job since I dont have the tools to do it properly.

What about the knuckle idea? Anyone install these? It might be the cheapest way out but what side effects could occur from using those? I also have the luxury suspension and most of you guys have the sport so I dont know if the shocks difference is why mine has this problem and yours dont.

Maybe my fender lips are wider than yours. If you measure the front fenders there is less than 1/2 of an inch of a lip and the tires go into the tire wells with no problems.

On the rears there is exactly 1" of lip in the center above the tire. I cleaned the lip good and took a drive until it rubbed and felt the lip and there was black from the tires on there.

So what do I do? There is about an 1/8" that sticks out on the lip in certain spots and I will try to take pictures later and I guess I could file these parts off but then I would have to deal with possible rust building up on that area.

If I could bend the inner lips up slightly that would also give me enough clearance and the problem would go away but I would have to pay a shop to do the job since I dont have the tools to do it properly.

What about the knuckle idea? Anyone install these? It might be the cheapest way out but what side effects could occur from using those? I also have the luxury suspension and most of you guys have the sport so I dont know if the shocks difference is why mine has this problem and yours dont.
    I just went and measured mine and the rear is 7/8". an 1/8" difference. That could easily be your problem. Don't know what a knuckle is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbed Stealth
    Tomm- There is two ways you can do this at home..... One is to take a rubber mallet and just fold the raw edge over. The other way is to take a baseball bat and insert it between your wheels and fenders and actually roll the baseball bat. You might have to jack the car up just slightly to take a little wieght off the wheels. If you use an aluminum bat it will scuff the paint. I had this same problem when i put four adults in the car...................
    I've heard of what Stealth has mentioned but that would concern me about possibly stressing the paint and having it crack. Are both rear wheels making contact? Myself I'd probably entertain the thought of grinding some material off. You could touch the edge up the edge with one of those micro rollers and some paint. It won't show.

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Ok, I have given up trying to find where my rear tires are rubbing since there appears to be plently of clearance. There are no plastic parts loose and everything in the wheel well looks good.

The only area that I can guess its rubbing is the metal lip on the wheel wells since the tire is wider and if i get the car to bounce high enough you can tell that the tire width would just does not clear the inner lips.

How have you guys rolled the fenders or what ever you call it? Do you have a picture to show me one that has been done so I can see what it looks like?

Thanks!
    This is what mine looks like...You can't really tell because the "rolling" is actually on the inside portion of the fender, where the sharp edge of the fender is...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.