Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2003 CTS PCV and Valve cover gaskets

19K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  rick001 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 CTS 3.2L with 130000 mi on it.The pass side valve cover is leaking oil. Not a lot, but onto exaust so I'm getting some smoke. I read about reaming out the holes on the PCV so they don't clog as easy, and I did that. But I also read that to test the PCV, remove oil filler cap with engine running and check for suction. I get none. Is it possible that the suction is leaking at the valve cover gaskets? I want to fix this before I do the valve cover gaskets. Should I get the kit and do the whole PCV, and oil filler tube? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
so sounds like your PCV is clogged somewhere

The vacuum source for the PCV is the intake manifold, the big white painted aluminum thing on top of the engine
then vacuum get's sucked thru the black panel looking thing on top of the intake manifold
the black panel thing has ports on the bottom and and 4 barbed fittings on the back
you can unplug the hose 3rd hose from the left (passenger side) while the Engine is running and check if there is vacuum from the barb fitting
if there isn't you can take off that flat black panel and clean it out and drill it out

the purple color is the PCV vacuum

if there is vacuum in the barbed fitting plug the hose back and follow it,
the hose should go to the back of the head on 1st Cylinder bank (passenger side)
there will be the "PCV box" looking thing

circled in red is the barbed port on top of the "PCV Box"
unplug the hose and check the hose for vacuum (if the hose is worn out it could be collapsing from vacuum)
and check if you can see if barbed fitting on the box is clogged

In my case the that's where it was clogged, and my PCV hose was collapsing,

I drilled out the port on top of the PCV box to 3/16"
replaced the hose
and drilled out the port in the black flat panel thing on top of the intake manifold

#4 ·
haha no problem,
the original port size is less than 3/16" and it took me a while to drill it out, you might want to start with a smaller drill bit.
and possible get an Oil Catch can, it's a useful upgrade for any engine and it will prevent any of the drill shaving from getting sucked into the engine

#6 ·
well start from the top again
Do you have suction from the back of that black flat panel thing on top of the intake manifold
is it strong vacuum or weak, it could be that this panel thing is half clogged as well
Do you have suction inside your new hose
The hose could be pinched?
Can you actually pull air from the drilled out barbed fitting

#7 ·
I took the flat black panel thing off and drilled out the small holes, I get strong suction from the hose coming from it to the nipple. I took the hose off the black panel thing and sucked on it and felt no restriction coming from the barbed fitting. I made sure the new hose was not pinched. It does idle better than before I replaced the hose and drilled out the barbed fitting and the panel thing on top of the intake. But no suction at the oil filler tube. My valve cover gasket on the pass side has a small leak though, is it possible that its losing suction there?

#8 ·
well the suction isn't suppose to be strong like a vacuum cleaner but it should be noticeable. And I don't think a gasket leak could effect the vacuum in the crankcase unless it's an open air hole.
how about when engine is running and not running do you see steam/gases coming out of the oil filler tube.
also this might sound dumb but I wanted to check, are you sure you're checking the oil filler tube and not the oil dip stick tube lol

#10 ·
Vacuum itself is not as important as making sure that your crankcase is vented in someway or another, as oppose to sealed.
because if it's sealed the pressure inside then crankcase will build up and blow out a gasket or two.
So as long as your engine is not a sealed pressure chamber, it shouldn't blow out any gaskets prematurely.

However it is good to have vacuum in the crankcase because that will evacuate the harmful blow-by gasses

note: if you didn't know this already the pressure inside crankcase is created by the blow-by gasses, the exhaust gasses that have escaped between the piston and cylinder wall. And you don't want thins gasses hanging around in your crankcase like it's their hood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.