The Great Air Intake Challenge
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; OK, I'm willing to do the dyno runs at FAST Specialties. They've agreed to discount me some dyno time on ...
    HaveBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The Great Air Intake Challenge

OK, I'm willing to do the dyno runs at FAST Specialties. They've agreed to discount me some dyno time on a slow day. I'll put my stock air intake back in to baseline. I'll do multiple runs for each modification and post the dyno sheets. That way the tests will all be on the same car, on the same dyno, on the same day, on the same fuel. I'm not, however going to cut up my stock airbox or buy a K&N kit. So if you True Believers out there want a real comparative test someone needs to send me the parts. I'll pay the freight on any part back to the owner.
    Any takers? Time to put up or......

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BozzMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

i have a Volant i'd send but it's for the 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by BozzMan
    i have a Volant i'd send but it's for the 3.2
    Thanks BozzMan, I've got the Volante. Need the TonyA & K&N.

MCD40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'll volunteer my K&N, since I think I'm one of the last few guys who still haven't gone to the Volant or TonyA yet. When is your dyno day? I can probably take it off tomorrow.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Now this is what I like when someone steps up to the plate to end all the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank
    I'll volunteer my K&N, since I think I'm one of the last few guys who still haven't gone to the Volant or TonyA yet. When is your dyno day? I can probably take it off tomorrow.

Cool, thanks Krank, I just pm'd you my address.
    I'm traveling for 8 out of the next 10 days. SO the test will probably be the week of the 24th.

jteolis is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

I'm willing to help defry some of the cost, how much will the dyno runs cost? If I contribute say $20 via paypal will that help?

wratran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

HAVEBLUE...do you have a modify exhaust...V or Corsa...etc...

Quote Originally Posted by wratran
    HAVEBLUE...do you have a modify exhaust...V or Corsa...etc...
    No stock exhaust. This will be an air intake only test.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

how long does the pcm take to relearn?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_concours
    how long does the pcm take to relearn?
    I was wondering about that myself, even though in past threads, it has been said to be an "almost instant learning curve"; I believe those were Robert's words, correct me if I'm wrong. I know with my car after I put my K&N on, I had to run it through all the gears at WOT to actually get it to set into a certain shift point, which would mean that HaveBlue would need to drive his car around a bit before putting it on the dyno. Anybody with the Volants notice anything like this?

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

My input and it may be moot. Part of the TonyA design incorporates an attempt for ram-air at the front bumper. If the car is at a static position this will not be reflected on the dyno. Like I said, it could be a moot point if the ram-air doesn't increase the HP. We know it did for the ram-air '68 442 Oldsmobile. HaveBlue the TonyA will require you to cut a 3" hole in your airchamber flap!:disappoin

But I must say this is a cool test using the same engine on the same dyno on the same day! Can't wait for the results.

1968 Ram-Air Oldsmobile.

Special 5-inch diameter hoses pick-up cool fresh air via scoops mounted between the quad head lamps (over and under the parking lamps) for the Quadrajet 4-barrel. Option was listed as dealer-installed

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    My input and it may be moot. Part of the TonyA design incorporates an attempt for ram-air at the front bumper. If the car is at a static position this will not be reflected on the dyno. Like I said, it could be a moot point if the ram-air doesn't increase the HP. We know it did for the ram-air '68 442 Oldsmobile. HaveBlue the TonyA will require you to cut a 3" hole in your airchamber flap!:disappoin
    The TonyA might be hard to come by because, afterall, it is done with owners' stock airbox so it's not something easily temporarily replaced. I'm not too worried about the ram-air problem, just make sure the fans they hook up in front of the car are big, and have them point one head-on to the front bumper instead of downward onto the engine block.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by Krank
    The TonyA might be hard to come by because, afterall, it is done with owners' stock airbox so it's not something easily temporarily replaced. I'm not too worried about the ram-air problem, just make sure the fans they hook up in front of the car are big, and have them point one head-on to the front bumper instead of downward onto the engine block.
    Some of the guys bought a second airbox to modify. Maybe one of those mightbe kind enough to supply?
    How about shipping cost both ways. Who pays?

Regarding Ram-Air, did you notice in that pic that Olds used TWO 5" air hoses up to a single 4 barrel carb? That's bigger than our whole air chamber. Of course the were feeding +400HP engines too

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

HaveBlue, great minds think alike. I just bought a used Volant this week from Doug (forum member), and I contacted AED Performance in Richmond (about an hour away) yesterday. They have a publicly available Mustang Chassis Dyno. I want to do a few runs with the TonyA, plug the hole and replace with factory filter for a second run to replicate the factory airbox, then install the Volant for a third run. As am engineer, I'm also tired of all of the spectulation and want to really know what difference it all makes. Although we can't replicate the 'ram air' effect of sucking air from the front, it will at least be less restricted cold air. My gut feel is that the TonyA and Volant will be neck and neck, but no more than 5 RWHP above the stock airbox.

I'll also pick the best of the airboxes, based on the runs, and re-run in a few weeks, after installing the Borla dual exhaust (also thanks to Doug). My runs will be on a 3.2L, so we should have some great datapoints. I may be required to do another run, after Pete releases his ESC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.