Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The Great Air Intake Challenge

93K views 283 replies 52 participants last post by  Stuff_buster 
#1 ·
OK, I'm willing to do the dyno runs at FAST Specialties. They've agreed to discount me some dyno time on a slow day. I'll put my stock air intake back in to baseline. I'll do multiple runs for each modification and post the dyno sheets. That way the tests will all be on the same car, on the same dyno, on the same day, on the same fuel. I'm not, however going to cut up my stock airbox or buy a K&N kit. So if you True Believers out there want a real comparative test someone needs to send me the parts. I'll pay the freight on any part back to the owner.
Any takers? Time to put up or......

#153 ·
HaveBlue and everyone involved, a great debt is owed to you all for giving up your time, money and parts to make this test happen. I have been following this thread since I bought my car and was eagerly awaiting the results. I am not sure that I am interested in spending the time or money to to get an 8-13hp gain - very nice test.

MUCHOS KUDOS to you all... thanks.

:highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive:

#154 ·
Correct me if I'm reading these wrong Scott, but my reading of the score on the first sheet shows max HP's:

Stock 220.2
TonyA 225.1 (+4.9 HP)
Volant 233.5 (+13.3 HP)

It looks like the K&N and the Volant have very similar curves, except for the jump at 5900.

What's with the dips between 4600 and 5900? What I find interesting is that the curves appear to be the same shape, with different offsets, meaning the HP gains are across the board, and not only at higher RPMs.

#155 ·
:cloud9: :cloud9: Great job , but your work is not done . For all of us that are not car literate could you explain these results for us in more detail. Sorry missed the post with the written results . Sorry Robert the TonyA not much better than the original. Where is my happy meal?

#156 ·
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Thank you so much HaveBlue!!! Now get those intakes back to Ody for "The Great Air Intake Challenge, Part Deux!"

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

#157 ·
odysseus said:
What's with the dips between 4600 and 5900? What I find interesting is that the curves appear to be the same shape, with different offsets, meaning the HP gains are across the board, and not only at higher RPMs.
:yeah:

#159 ·
HaveBlue said:
hey we had a great time today. I was very interesting. The dyno operator, Travis keep looking at the screen and saying, "that motors doing some srange stuff in there"
:histeric: You know you have something special if you can get someone who does dyno runs on a daily basis to make a comment like that!

#160 ·
odysseus said:
My SWAG is the dips have something to do with VVT. and yes the increases were definatley through out the RPM range.

#163 ·
MontySkull said:
So in general, the K&N and Volant were identical as I predicted.
The Volant made about 2 HP on average better than the K&N thru the entire RPM range. I was surprised. The K&N has a bigger filter (more surface area)and with no box there is no chance of a bog due to pressure drop when the throttle opens. I really expected the K&N to do better. Again I think it's in the tube design. No contest on the noise factor though.

#167 ·
Yeah, the K&N is incredibly noisy; I kind of like it, but I'm one of the younger guys so that might explain a bit. A five HP trade-off for noise levels...hmm.

But all things aside, HaveBlue, great job putting this experiment together; we're pioneering a track for all the future CTS owners to follow, I find that pretty awesome and humbling, and we owe you a lot of gratitude for your time and effort. I was honored to be a part of it.

#173 ·
Dubbed Stealth said:
Awesome Job Blue! Your work is greatly appreciated...........
changed my mod list to give you credit for your work! (see above)
Hard Facts dont lie! We need to do the same test on rotors.......
LOL, that's pretty funny, thanks.

As far as the rotor deal, we'd need a brake dyno like this

I will have some more to talk about after SEMA in regards to friction products though.....

#176 ·
Yes guys, thank you very much for all your efforts. I have to say that I'm really surprised to see that we can realistically obtain a 5.7% increase in RWHP for under 300 bucks. As a guy that has done alot of drag racing in the past, I can that that isn't an easy feat.

Thanks again!

#178 ·
To temper all of this, remember the TonyA mod made 4.9 HP for only $40 ($8.16/HP). The volant made 13.3 HP, but runs around $250 ($18.80/HP). Bang for the buck, the TonyA is clearly the winner. But for overall HP gains, Volant (and K&N) likely due to the larger filter area on the cone filters. If one doesn't have $250 to spend, there's no excuse NOT to do the TonyA mod. I've had both, but run the Volant since putting the V front bumper on, which closes up the lower air intake for the TonyA.

For reference, the B&B dual exhaust claims to make 12 HP on the 3.6L, but runs closer to $1000!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.