The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by IHIeiniken Ghetto Riggers VS. The Money Makers Let the battles begin! haha LOL!!!...
    DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by IHIeiniken
    Ghetto Riggers VS. The Money Makers

Let the battles begin! haha
    LOL!!!

TripleOught is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

my money is on the volant also...watch--it's gonna be the k&n...maybe i should wait until we dyno to sell it...use it as a selling point if it pulls out ahead...

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by TripleOught
    my money is on the volant also...watch--it's gonna be the k&n...maybe i should wait until we dyno to sell it...use it as a selling point if it pulls out ahead...
    Maybe this is an opportunity to make some Forum bet$ as to which intake wins.
    Instead on money, maybe it could be Happy Meals!

IHIeiniken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    Maybe this is an opportunity to make some Forum bet$ as to which intake wins.
    Instead on money, maybe it could be Happy Meals!
    and have a horsepower spread instead of a point spread.

TX_SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

cant wait to see the result.. when will it be done??

IHIeiniken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

After all the bets are in of course!!!

hahaha i crack myself up.

Ok, whos gonna be the first to put thier money...er..happy meals where their mouth is?!

Man that was lame....

1. volant
    2.25 HP spread
    2. k&n
    1.25 HP spread
    3. tonya

i got 3 happy meals on it

i hate to put the tonya last, but i think the ram cones yield more HP...hope i'm wrong, but i do have a volant, so i hope i'm not THAT wrong...

tonyabraham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Guys
    I have been watching this for quite a while and thought that its about time to say something. My intake was the only one that opened the outside air in the lower grille.

This can be used for all the intakes and that cooler outside air will definitely help the Volant and the K&N units. They didn't do that on their units but you guys can and it will reduce the air temp to the air flow sensor. Beside the decreased air restriction, the biggest help is the cooler air.
    Two things you can do if you need more performance:

If you want to get less restriction with my intake just use a larger Air Hog filter as there is plenty of room on the baffle plate. That will give you MORE air flow with less restriction for the SAME price. I think you will enjoy the extra time working on your car etc.
    Second, close the area off between the engine heat and the air intake with flexible rubber sheeting. This will assure that your intake air is the closest to the outside air at all times.

Have fun and enjoy your cars!!!

Tony A

Quote Originally Posted by tonyabraham
    Guys
    I have been watching this for quite a while and thought that its about time to say something. My intake was the only one that opened the outside air in the lower grille.

This can be used for all the intakes and that cooler outside air will definitely help the Volant and the K&N units. They didn't do that on their units but you guys can and it will reduce the air temp to the air flow sensor. Beside the decreased air restriction, the biggest help is the cooler air.
    Two things you can do if you need more performance:

If you want to get less restriction with my intake just use a larger Air Hog filter as there is plenty of room on the baffle plate. That will give you MORE air flow with less restriction for the SAME price. I think you will enjoy the extra time working on your car etc.
    Second, close the area off between the engine heat and the air intake with flexible rubber sheeting. This will assure that your intake air is the closest to the outside air at all times.

Have fun and enjoy your cars!!!

Tony A
    Tony A -

Thanks for developing this mod for all of us who are too poor/cheap to buy units like the Volant or the K&N. RobertCTS and myself have both been looking into improving it further by adding a hose that would route air directly from the lower grill into the box, thus completely eliminating hot engine air plus potentially generating a true "ram-air" effect at speed. Have you looked into this sort of thing as well? We'll let you know how it turns out, and I'm betting 3 happy meals the TonyA whomps the Volant and the K&N!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyabraham
    My intake was the only one that opened the outside air in the lower grille.
    i used your intake for a few weeks and definitely though it was well worth the money. if i hadn't found the volant for a really good new used price i would probably still have the tonya mod in.

now, i can't really see how the volant doesn't do the same...the irregularly shaped "scoop" on the volant goes right through to the right side of the grill and takes cold air from the front of the car (after you cut a small hole in that thin mesh lining). isn't that right? with the tonya, there was just the large hole in the front that opened up to the back of the headlight assembly...am i wrong in that? i think the volant gets it's far share of cold are as well. as for the k&n, well that all hot engine air...

...the irregularly shaped "scoop" on the volant goes right through to the right side of the grill and takes cold air from the front of the car (after you cut a small hole in that thin mesh lining). isn't that right?...
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a picture of this "scoop" on the Volant and where it goes? I've never had the chance to look at one up close so its got me intrigued.

i just sent this to another member...hopefully you have powerpoint...

http://www.msu.edu/~cronkmic/Cutting.ppt

i just sent this to another member...hopefully you have powerpoint...

http://www.msu.edu/~cronkmic/Cutting.ppt
    Sweet man, thanks! Only now that I see it, I'm starting to second guess my bet...but I think the TonyA will still beat the K&N. If it doesnt, I'm claiming experimenter bias!!!

MCD40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    Sweet man, thanks! Only now that I see it, I'm starting to second guess my bet...but I think the TonyA will still beat the K&N. If it doesnt, I'm claiming experimenter bias!!!
    Haha, experimenter bias? The K&N was my kit that I volunteered for the test, and I've even got it to come behind the Volant and TonyA...says something about the quality of the kit. On that note, the results should be coming out soon for the 3.6L. Can't wait.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.