The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Krank That's odd cause he's definitely checked into the forums lately. Is anyone else willing to step ...
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Krank
    That's odd cause he's definitely checked into the forums lately. Is anyone else willing to step up and make one?
    HaveBlue on the other hand, hasn't been online in a couple weeks+. I'm working on a high-schooler, part-time job budget, so in order to get that Volant I plan on getting, I need to sell that K&N kit that I sent in for the test; so I'm kind of stuck in a jam. I'm sure you understand my concern that it's been somewhere for more than a month and that I haven't been able to get in contact with either of them. Does anybody know any way I can get in contact with him or find his phone #?
    JT did reply. He has the extra box but needs a nudge to get him moving He hasn't drilled the box yet. Send him a PM. I'm sure he will answer.

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Does anyone know when odysseus is going to run his dyno? I also have the 3.2 and have been wondering what intake to get.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

I've simply got to make the time. The closest dyno that I've found is about 90 miles away. I travel for business 3 days a week, and sail (race) on the weekends. I'll need to take a half day off during the week to get there.

The car is ready and I've got the Volant on, now. I've got my old TonyA modified airbox ready to slip back in, and a stock filter to exhange (with a temprorary blockoff plate for the front hole), for the TonyA and base runs.

I have the Borla on, since I didn't want to wait any longer, but at least I'll get a comparison of intakes. I'll likely put my stock 17" wheels and tires on for the dyno run, since they're 9 lbs (each) lighter than the 18" Milli Miglia's.

Diane (F1Fanz) sold her CTS and is selling her 3.2L volant on EBay as we speak, for those interested. Bidding ends tomorrow morning, and it's currently under $50.

DDS, the TonyA mod is very cheap ($40 for a filter) and for only an hour or so of drilling, you'll have a much higher flowing intake than stock. It's much cheaper than the $250 Volant. It will be interesting to see the HP differences, but I expect they'll be minimal (within a few HP of each other).

[QUOTE=odysseus]I've simply got to make the time. The closest dyno that I've found is about 90 miles away. I travel for business 3 days a week, and sail (race) on the weekends. I'll need to take a half day off during the week to get there.
    The car is ready and I've got the Volant on, now. I've got my old TonyA modified airbox ready to slip back in, and a stock filter to exhange (with a temprorary blockoff plate for the front hole), for the TonyA and base runs.
    QUOTE]

Ody I think you're Our hope as the "Great Air Intake Challenge" seems to be petering out.

Didn't you find a dyno that ricers use that was closer?

I found one about 5 miles from my house, but they didn't answer emails or phone calls. So I went to drop by, only to find out they're out of business.

So, it looks like the dyno in Richmond will be my next bet. I'm also looking into one of those PC based ODB-II scanners that has a virtual dyno feature that calculates HP and torque based on sensor data on the ODB-II port. It basically uses RPM, car speed, and you input Cd, car weight, air temp, etc. Then accelerate to redline. The problem is, fourth gear (1.0:1) is usually the best, but you'd be doing about 145mph at redline! Looks like a cool toy, anyhow.

http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforwican.html

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    The problem is, fourth gear (1.0:1) is usually the best, but you'd be doing about 145mph at redline! Looks like a cool toy, anyhow.
    Bah, minor problem. I'll look forward to hearing your results.

On the topic of the "TonyA mod" is there a "how-to" posted somewhere? I'm too busy/lazy to look for it right now.

Although TonyA did the research and pioneered the Mod, RobertCTS did a great job writing it all up. PM him, and I'm sure he'd love to email the writeup to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    On the topic of the "TonyA mod" is there a "how-to" posted somewhere? I'm too busy/lazy to look for it right now.
    DDS,
    I know have it in the FAQ section.
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ram/index.html

HaveBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hi All, I've been traveling for work. Still no TonyA box yet. I have to go to DC late this week. I''l schedule the dyno test for the 7th. If the TonyA is here great. If not I'll run stock/volante/KN comparison and then get Krank's kit back to him.

Thanks guys, actually I overcame my laziness yesterday after posting and looked up the mod on my own. Horray for boring as heck classes! I'll look forward to hearing the results of the comparison before I make the decision of what way I want to go.

Ryno9123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    Hi All, I've been traveling for work. Still no TonyA box yet. I have to go to DC late this week. I''l schedule the dyno test for the 7th. If the TonyA is here great. If not I'll run stock/volante/KN comparison and then get Krank's kit back to him.

Sucks to be scammed fellas. You aint gettin no dyno hes takin your money and parts just as i predicted in my quote on page 2 or 3 a month or so ago..

IHIeiniken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

man. i've been debating whether to purchase a Volant or go ahead and "Ghetto Rig" my stock airbox to a TonyA. Been watching this thread for quite sometime and yet still no Dyno results. is there anything i can do to help speed things up. im in norcal!

Quote Originally Posted by IHIeiniken
    man. i've been debating whether to purchase a Volant or go ahead and "Ghetto Rig" my stock airbox to a TonyA. Been watching this thread for quite sometime and yet still no Dyno results. is there anything i can do to help speed things up. im in norcal!
    I think more than likely Odysseus will have results first. Ghetto Rigged?! Funny

I went out last night and bought everything to do the TonyA mod last night. I'll install it tonight and test it out on the drive to Ohio tomorrow. Its gonna be Ghetto Fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    I went out last night and bought everything to do the TonyA mod last night. I'll install it tonight and test it out on the drive to Ohio tomorrow. Its gonna be Ghetto Fabulous!
    Any trouble finding the Fram PPA7597 filter?

Yep, seeYa at Schmidt's in the Morning!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.