The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; All these posts made me curious. I went to the shop that has a dyno in my area, because my ...
    cvelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

All these posts made me curious. I went to the shop that has a dyno in my area, because my friend is apparently good friends with the owner. My CTS is stock, but I was curious about the CTS and my wifes BMW. Talk about snobs !! They practically laughed at me. They specialize in Aston Martins, but will make special concessions for Ferrari, Laborghini,and Porsches. Literally, wouldn't take my money, told me it was a waste of time.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by cvelo
    All these posts made me curious. I went to the shop that has a dyno in my area, because my friend is apparently good friends with the owner. My CTS is stock, but I was curious about the CTS and my wifes BMW. Talk about snobs !! They practically laughed at me. They specialize in Aston Martins, but will make special concessions for Ferrari, Laborghini,and Porsches. Literally, wouldn't take my money, told me it was a waste of time.
    When you drive buy use this driving glove to show your attitude!

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    When next week? The only different in your car and mine is the Exhaust I have the Corsa and you have the Magnaflow maybe I can go run my CTS at the same time you think they will give us a Discount? What streets is this Dyno place on?
    Tuesday...Place is called Brainstorm Performance..12568 W. Washington Blvd. 310-313-0088. Depends on my schedule I may change the date, we'll see.http://www.turboperformance.net/bsp/default.asp

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnesq
    Tuesday...Place is called Brainstorm Performance..12568 W. Washington Blvd. 310-313-0088. Depends on my schedule I may change the date, we'll see.http://www.turboperformance.net/bsp/default.asp
    I cant go on a weekday I have work

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnesq
    Cool wesite PJ. You gonna feel intimidated by all those Ricers?

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Wow! Talk about timing.. I just recieved my Volant today, did a forum search to see if there were any hiccups to expect during installation and I find this thread!

:littlewes

[QUOTE=HITMONEY]Wow! Talk about timing.. I just recieved my Volant today, did a forum search to see if there were any hiccups to expect during installation and I find this thread!QUOTE]

Good luck! Second best intake.

MCD40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    On that note, did we ever find someone willing to ship over a completed TonyA method airbox to HaveBlue so he could throw it on for a dyno run? I'd personally be very interested in finding out how it stacks up to the Volant and K&N..it very well may sway my decision because my K&N isn't going back onto my car after the test and I'll be looking for something else.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

I originally found a shop with a dyno 90 minutes away. Then today, I found one 5 miles from my home. They dyno stock cars for the local speedway. I'm going to call them when I get home tomorrow or Thursday to schedule a time to get my 3.2 dynoed. I've got a full TonyA airbox, as well as a fresh Volant that I plan on trying. I'll also put a stock paper filter in the TonyA airbox, and block off the new intake to simulate a stock airbox. With the manual trans, it should be much easier to get a nice set of curves on the graph.

tonyabraham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Guys great Idea and about time.

Use the open lower air intake in the bumper if you have the ability to get cool air in. I was seeing 30-40 degF lower air temperature at the MAF temp sensor so that should show up in cooler outside air on all systems. Don't forget to seal the ram air area from the engine to get the best delta t. Nowthat the Caddy edge is down (but not out) I have been looking at this one more. If you need any help, I'll be glad to.
    This should help the guys waiting with the stock intake to see that there is an easy way to pick up some extra hp and the intake sound. Then again there will be the guys who say 5-10 hp isnt enough to make the change. But that gets back to why I did the intake in the first place, who wants to pay big bucks for probable inflated claims. One thing is for sure that production box intake is definitely restricted.

Good luck on your testing.

Tony A

Quote Originally Posted by tonyabraham
    Hey Guys great Idea and about time.

Use the open lower air intake in the bumper if you have the ability to get cool air in. I was seeing 30-40 degF lower air temperature at the MAF temp sensor so that should show up in cooler outside air on all systems. Don't forget to seal the ram air area from the engine to get the best delta t. Nowthat the Caddy edge is down (but not out) I have been looking at this one more. If you need any help, I'll be glad to.
    This should help the guys waiting with the stock intake to see that there is an easy way to pick up some extra hp and the intake sound. Then again there will be the guys who say 5-10 hp isnt enough to make the change. But that gets back to why I did the intake in the first place, who wants to pay big bucks for probable inflated claims. One thing is for sure that production box intake is definitely restricted.
    Good luck on your testing.
    Tony A
    Hey Tony,
    I knew you'd get bored with the Edge down. I've been making a fortune by selling plans to your TonyA system.

Have you seen another member who has a system named after him? It's the ML-V Exhaust. Several of us have easily adapted the CTS-V exhaust to our cars. You pick up a larger 2 1/2" pipe, lower restriction muffler with a bass rumble plus two cool chrome factory exhaust tips. It cost me $100 including installation. So know I have the TonyA & ML-V.

I don't think many have addressed your sealing off of the air chamber. Some major opening that can only be sealed by removing a lower panel. It's on my to-do list.

We have another member who is also an engineer and has the 3.2 like you. Odysseus(Ody) already has The TonyA Mod, The Volant and an OEM Filter. He plans to test all 3 systems out on the same dyno and the same day. You should find the results interesting. The unfortunate part of a dyno test is it can't measure any effect the Ram-Air might have since its inside and static.

Hey, Visit more often.
    Bob

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

[QUOTE=RobertCTS]
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    Wow! Talk about timing.. I just recieved my Volant today, did a forum search to see if there were any hiccups to expect during installation and I find this thread!QUOTE]

Maybe.. We shall see... but mine looks cooler!

HaveBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hi Guys, been traveling for work. Still no offers on a TonyA box to test. Maybe it will be just a Volante/KN test.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    Hi Guys, been traveling for work. Still no offers on a TonyA box to test. Maybe it will be just a Volante/KN test.
    I'd send you mine but I don't have a spare to use. Odysseus already has a TonyA, Volant and stock box that he will be testing on a 3.2 very soon. I'm anxious to see his results.

jteolis is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue

I have an extra stock airbox that I haven't done anything to yet, was going to experiment with TonyA but haven't as yet. When will you be doing the dyno? I am taking the FL bar exam next week, tues & wed, after that I am FREE!!! So maybe I can do the mod to the box then and forward it to you?

When are you doing the runs??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.