The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 20
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Your the one that called out my post like I was wrong in saying the K&N was better on the ...
    FlyFlip420 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

Your the one that called out my post like I was wrong in saying the K&N was better on the 3.2L......You even said you gotta call me out and quoted my post.......I think your confused or something.......Go away from your computer and leave this site for at least 5 minutes and come back and you will be back into reality

....I never quoted you in any way shape or form....so why does it matter what you were referencing in your post, I was never talking about your post...I was talking like people do on this forum....And as to talking about the 3.6, this ENTIRE thread is about both 3.2 and 3.6......So what are you trying to say????

Silly Kid, trying to make a strange weird point....I was never talking to you or about you in the first place, YOU brought me into your conversation with the quotes

FL01SS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    Depends where you measure the HP. Rear wheels or at the flywheel. When you want big numbers you do it at the flywheel. I'm sure K&N did that as they can afford it and the numbers look good to the uninformed.
    The 3.6 VVT is rated at 255 hp at the flywheel. Therefore it's obvious that the numbers they are claiming (203 stock & 217 w/K&N) are rwhp.

There are numerous factors that could contribute to the differences in numbers between Hav's dyno runs & the K&N info such as milage of the car, atmospherics/weather, size/type of tires/wheels, etc. Plus the fact that K&N would more than likely do anything possible to make their product show the highest gains possible. Not that their dyno info isn't true, but without having the Volant tested at the exact same time, you really can't make an accurate comparison.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

In both the Great Air Intake Challenge (for the 3.6L) and part II (the 3.2), all intakes (stock, TonyA, Volant, and K&N) were tested back to back. The Volant and K&N were unique to each car (3.6 vs 3.2). Actually, HaveBlue and I also used the exact same stock airbox, and TonyA modified airbox in both cars (we mailed them coast to coast). In both cases all runs were done over about a 2 hour period. I never trust vendor HP gains claims, but rather real world RWHP and Rear wheel torque numbers, done back to back on the same car, under the same conditions.

To be honest, it comes down to personal preference as no driver is going to be able to tell a 5 HP difference by the seat of his pants. The K&N is much louder, due to lack of an airbox which also muffles the sound, and some find that offensive in a refined car like a Cadillac. I recently switched from my Volant airbox to the TonyA modified airbox, as they produced nearly identical power in my runs. I was much more impressed with how much power the Borla added to the lowly 3.2L engine.

Other factors also come into play with RWHP. Put 20's on, and you'll negate any power gains over stock, going to the rear wheels. Aluminum may be light, but it's much heavier than air! Add chrome, and it's like adding lead.

rblimas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los

Quote Originally Posted by rblimas View Post
    *bump*

i found that this was helpful and hope others will to

here is the "Great Air Intake Challenge, Part 2" for the 3.2L cts(es)
    lol i guess i was so sleepy that night that i forgot to add the link

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
    buy a Volant
    I like the sales pitch. Very nice...

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
    OK Guys (and Gals) I just walked in the door.
    First special thanks to Fast Specialties in Vancouver,WA. They let me use their shop and a dyno technition for about 4 hours today at no-charge. If you can throw any business their way it would be appreciated. They do carry Volant and K&N.

http://home.fastspecialties.com/

The test results were a little surprising. One thing was very clear, this was a great comparison of the kits but not of the potential of the engine. The motor was pulling right up to the top speed cutoff at 140mph/6000 rpm in 4th gear. It will be very interesting to see how much more it will make with this switched off.

Test Vehicle, 2006 3.6 VVT 5 speed auto, no modifications to powertrain.
    Shop temperature was a constant 68°
    Car never got hot at all, temp needle straight up the whole time.
    Fuel, Chevron Unleaded Supreme 92 octane
    Dyno operator was experienced in running late model auto trans cars and had no problems slowly rolling on the throttle to prevent a down shit.
    Runs were made in 4th gear, TC off.

STOCK INTAKE
    splash guard in place, radiator air deflector in place. lower valance panel in place.

220 RWHP

TONY A MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX
    splash guard cut to match opening (supplied by Ody). Lower valance panel removed.

225 RWHP
    made a few more HP than stock all through the rpm range

K&N FIPK KIT
    splash guard removed. lower valance panel removed

A quick spike at the end showed 236 hp but 228 hp what showed on the screen on both runs.

228RWHP

VOLANT
    splash guard removed. radiator air deflector folded over to expose front snorkle.

233 RWHP

consistant each run.

IMO the K&N was not worth the addtional noise. The differnce in the 2 intake tubes is obvious when side by side. The K&N take a sharp radius into the throttle body to clear the electric fan mounting stud. The Volant sweels up around the stud in a bulb that allows a clearer entry for the air into the TB. They took the time to do it right.

Overlayed dyno sheets scanning now.

There ya go folks.
    So what happened when you switched up the order of the intakes on the dyno??

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

on a mission from bump again I see

No. This was in conjunction with the lame assault on Tony...

Tlorenzen is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

13 rwhp difference with the volant, just made my decision when I ever go to get one. wow. Thank you so much.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

oh dear lord

Jdubski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L- HID's, L.E.D's, Volant CAI, Formula 1 tint.

Hey there, I just installed the volant intake on my '04 3.6 cts, and I was wondering where or what do I do with the breather hose that came with the kit? I have it connected to the intake on one end but where does the other end go? Can anybody help? Thank you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.