The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; In my install I came up with two problems. The instructions are horrible. They provide you with a tube that ...
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

In my install I came up with two problems. The instructions are horrible.
    They provide you with a tube that looks like it has a donut around it. Inside of it is another tube that is a tight fit. I found out after wrestling with the darn thing that the inner tube had to go. Then the fit was perfect. I have a part left over that I don't know where it goes. It has a clip molding on one side and a nice finished round edge like a beading on the other end. I think it may be a trim detail but I couldn't find a place for it.

I thought the Volant was supposed to be louder but that's not the case IMO. The old SWAG Dyno said maybe more power in the mid ranges. To me it's a more refined sound. Besides the AirHog was scaring my chickens! I've got a deal on my old TonyA Air Box in another Thread. FREE..free!!!

When I get my engine bay parts back from Pete I'll do some posting with the pics.

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    They provide you with a tube that looks like it has a donut around it. Inside of it is another tube that is a tight fit. I found out after wrestling with the darn thing that the inner tube had to go. Then the fit was perfect. I have a part left over that I don't know where it goes. It has a clip molding on one side and a nice finished round edge like a beading on the other end. I think it may be a trim detail but I couldn't find a place for it.

I thought the Volant was supposed to be louder but that's not the case IMO. The old SWAG Dyno said maybe more power in the mid ranges. To me it's a more refined sound. Besides the AirHog was scaring my chickens! I've got a deal on my old TonyA Air Box in another Thread. FREE..free!!!

When I get my engine bay parts back from Pete I'll do some posting with the pics.
    what engine bay parts?

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

The directions do suck but if you look at the pictures you can figure it out. The clip I believe that you have left over is probably the mounting clip that holds the Volant in place. Does it look like a small "L" bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by tomm
    The directions do suck but if you look at the pictures you can figure it out. The clip I believe that you have left over is probably the mounting clip that holds the Volant in place. Does it look like a small "L" bracket?
    I used the L bracket and the factory factory screw. This is a rather large piece. Maybe 6-8". Did you remove the inner tube? Your tip on the screws really helped!

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    what engine bay parts?
    Engine cover, Fusebox cover, & Radiator A/C seal cover. I'm also doing the chrome strip above the grill..all in black chrome.

I used the L bracket and the factory factory screw. This is a rather large piece. Maybe 6-8". Did you remove the inner tube? Your tip on the screws really helped!
    I did not have any extra pieces. Did you install it yet? If not then thats why you have some leftovers. I'll take a picture shortly of the install but the tube that you have left over is probably the tube that connects the Volant Tube to the factory MAF outlet.

Here is the picture:

I did not have any extra pieces. Did you install it yet? If not then thats why you have some leftovers. I'll take a picture shortly of the install but the tube that you have left over is probably the tube that connects the Volant Tube to the factory MAF outlet.
    I installed it last week. The part I speak of doesn't show in the Pic. I'll try to get a pic when I get home.

The only other piece not pictured would be around 8 or 9 inches long which is the seal that mounts around the inlet of the volant box to prevent the warm engine air from entering the box where the box sits near the fender opening.

PAW 47 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

That rubber gasket goes between the Volant and the fender intake. It seals the fitment gap. You will have to trim about a 1/4 off it to fit around the main intake hole of the box.

I might do a install FAQ..if I have time over the upcoming holidays..

Here's a pic of the piece. What does the clip go onto and the rubber tubing?

Here's a pic of the piece. What does the clip go onto and the rubber tubing?
    Yes, Thats the piece I described above. It goes around the opening on the volant box. You may need to trim it as Paw mentioned above. Mine was around 1/8" too long.

Yes, Thats the piece I described above. It goes around the opening on the volant box. You may need to trim it as Paw mentioned above. Mine was around 1/8" too long.
    What does the clip fasten to?

tonelocdog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    Most everyone who's had the K&N has complained a lot about the sound. It makes a lot more noise than stock or the Volant. Lots of whistles and such, not very "cadillac-like".
    Well I just got my k&N air intake installed, and it is pretty loud, but if you only rev up the engine while driving. Then you would hear it more. Its still loud but "to" noticeable when driveing "Normal" . I got a good deal on mine, so Im not exchanging it, but if the noise starts to interfere, or agitate other people, then I will remove it and put back the stock intake. But they're is a big difference in speed when installed, regardless whether it a K&N or not.

What does the clip fasten to?
    It clips right on the opening of the volant box. I cant show you a picture since its on the outside of the volant box and its pushed up against the fender.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.