The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 16
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 296
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS Ody said he sent the modified skirt with the tonya box. Changing the ...
  1. #226
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    Ody said he sent the modified skirt with the tonya box.
    Changing the skirt, as you know, wouldn't be easy. Hopefully HaveBlue went through the effort.

  2. #227
    odysseus's Avatar
    odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,035

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    He got the matching rubber front intake seal (rubber flap between the airbox and the headlight) with a matching hole cut out. HaveBlue has a normal CTS with the stock front bumper, so the test should have been apples to apples.

  3. #228
    HaveBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    127
    Thread Starter

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    Changing the skirt, as you know, wouldn't be easy. Hopefully HaveBlue went through the effort.
    I made all the changes,
    give it up Robert , the TonyA is a good budget mod, but not a substitute for a real air intake system.

    Krank, Ody, your kits went out Friday via UPS Ground. Ody I sent my stock airbox and the uncut air seal.

    As for those who feel they are owed Happy Meals, see the guy who twice in this thread accused me of perpetrating a scam to get free intake systems

  4. #229
    05CTS's Avatar
    05CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 CTS
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Port Richey FL
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    I made all the changes,
    give it up Robert , the TonyA is a good budget mod, but not a substitute for a real air intake system.
    I don't even think the mod is worth the time for the gain you get.

    [/quote]
    As for those who feel they are owed Happy Meals, see the guy who twice in this thread accused me of perpetrating a scam to get free intake systems[/quote]

    That guy was an ass. I wouldn't worry about him Blue.

  5. #230
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    I made all the changes,
    give it up Robert , the TonyA is a good budget mod, but not a substitute for a real air intake system.

    Krank, Ody, your kits went out Friday via UPS Ground. Ody I sent my stock airbox and the uncut air seal.

    As for those who feel they are owed Happy Meals, see the guy who twice in this thread accused me of perpetrating a scam to get free intake systems
    I felt you must have but wondered how you did the cut. Ody straighten me out there. Hey, I'm convinced. I started a thread to round up the new Volant guys wanting to buy and the possibility of a "Group Buy". Tomm found us a heck of a deal at $234 w/ S&H

    Some before and after test with the various exhaust systems should be next.

  6. #231
    trukk's Avatar
    trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elkridge, MD
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by AmesCTS-V
    That was what I predicted, but I'm suprised the numbers are that high. I think everyone with a CTS should be happy to see this. 13 more hp out of the Volant is a good mod.

    I'll second that. I just tested an LPE CAI on my V (which was installed about 3 months before I dynoed it). http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=56069
    I ended up with about a 9 RWHP difference (or 3% gain.) You ended up with a 6% gain on 13 RWHP.

    I haven't read everything in the entire post, but I will make a few observations:

    1) In LSx land, the PCM will cause the engine to run lean when you first install a CAI, as it is operating on fuel/air maps from the old less air config. This GREATLY increases the RWHP untill the engine 'learns' the new amount of air going into the engine is going to stay at that level, and then it changes it's maps. This is how many of the CAI vendors for LSx engines can advertise 20 RWHP gains (because it is true untill the PCM recalibrates). [Food for thoughts that 20 is a bit more than double my actual gain. I wonder if yours may fall in that same boat, and eventaully settle around 5-6 RWHP actual gain??] I know your engine uses a more advance PCM that ours, so I'm not sure if your's will suffer this type of lag, but it is something to consider. I will assume that you will keep the Volant, since it showed the most gains. It may be worth going back in a few months and checking to see if you are still getting the same gains.

    2) I usually compare my 3rd pull when trying to gauge actual gains, as by this point, the engine is usually fairly heat soaked, and it also best reflects 'real world' driving.

    Great test BTW.

    -Chris

  7. #232
    tonelocdog's Avatar
    tonelocdog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Holiday Fl.
    Posts
    100

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Is the k&N air intake sound very noticeable after its installed, compared to the stock intake for the 04 cts 3.6 litre.

  8. #233
    DDS rollin a CTS's Avatar
    DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,639

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tonelocdog
    Is the k&N air intake sound very noticeable after its installed, compared to the stock intake for the 04 cts 3.6 litre.
    Most everyone who's had the K&N has complained a lot about the sound. It makes a lot more noise than stock or the Volant. Lots of whistles and such, not very "cadillac-like".

  9. #234
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    I had one. It's loud, it whistles and it uses hot under the hood air. I removed it and sold it. That guy also removed it and sold it.

  10. #235
    SdMarineGuy's Avatar
    SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Does the K&N for the 3.2L replace the intake tube?

    For the 3.2L dyno runs, I only plan on running stock, TonyA, and Volant, unless someone has a 3.2L K&N they want to loan. HaveBlue is shipping me my TonyA back, along with a stock intake for the runs, which I'll be 'forced' (due to the popularity of this thread) to schedule asap.

    I'll also be doing identical runs with the stock wheels and tires, and 18" wheels and tires (9 lbs heavier, each), just for grins. Unfortunately, I've already installed my Borla dual exhaust, so I likely won't be doing a completely stock baseline.
    I am more interested in the wheel test than the intake test. What size are the stock ones? Also you have the run scheduled yet?

  11. #236
    odysseus's Avatar
    odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,035

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    I am more interested in the wheel test than the intake test. What size are the stock ones? Also you have the run scheduled yet?
    I'm going to show up with my 18's and 245's on the car, do a baseline run, then switch to the stock 17's with 225/50R17's for all other runs. I want to keep wheel size out of the equation, if I can, but I want a run to show any affects too. If anyone has a set of 20's mounted with tires they want me to do a run with, they can meet me at AED Performance south of Richmond in two weeks. I want to get these done before the thanksgiving holiday.

    I've got all of the 3.2L cold air intakes as of last week. I called to schedule dyno time, but they told me they only need a day or two notice and to call back when I'm ready. I was going to do it this Friday, but I have a yacht racing awards banquet Friday evening, and I'm not sure if I'll make it back in time. Tentatively, I'm shooting for the following Friday, so I can take half a day off work to make the 90 mile trek. I also want an afternoon to test fit the K&N and make sure I have all of the fittings and tools ready for quick airbox changes. All tests will be in fourth gear, AC off, and 93 octane. The Borla exhaust is on and will keep me from getting a fully stock baseline, but that's the breaks!

    I'm figuring about 1.5 to 2 hours of dyno time (@ $90/hr!). Here's my plan for runs:

    1) 18's and Volant
    Rest of runs on stock 17 on the back
    2) Volant
    3) K&N intake tube (possibly filter, if it all fits) on Volant airbox
    4) K&N
    5) TonyA
    6) stock airbox

    If that doesn't get us all the possible data, I don't know what will!

  12. #237
    SdMarineGuy's Avatar
    SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    I'm going to show up with my 18's and 245's on the car, do a baseline run, then switch to the stock 17's with 225/50R17's for all other runs. I want to keep wheel size out of the equation, if I can, but I want a run to show any affects too. If anyone has a set of 20's mounted with tires they want me to do a run with, they can meet me at AED Performance south of Richmond in two weeks. I want to get these done before the thanksgiving holiday.

    I've got all of the 3.2L cold air intakes as of last week. I called to schedule dyno time, but they told me they only need a day or two notice and to call back when I'm ready. I was going to do it this Friday, but I have a yacht racing awards banquet Friday evening, and I'm not sure if I'll make it back in time. Tentatively, I'm shooting for the following Friday, so I can take half a day off work to make the 90 mile trek. I also want an afternoon to test fit the K&N and make sure I have all of the fittings and tools ready for quick airbox changes. All tests will be in fourth gear, AC off, and 93 octane. The Borla exhaust is on and will keep me from getting a fully stock baseline, but that's the breaks!

    I'm figuring about 1.5 to 2 hours of dyno time (@ $90/hr!). Here's my plan for runs:

    1) 18's and Volant
    Rest of runs on stock 17 on the back
    2) Volant
    3) K&N intake tube (possibly filter, if it all fits) on Volant airbox
    4) K&N
    5) TonyA
    6) stock airbox

    If that doesn't get us all the possible data, I don't know what will!
    Your gonna be a busy man. I just wish I can see the difference with the 17's and 20's I am sure someone can hook you up. I am going to Dyno my car Nov 19th to see how much performance the headers and cats did for my car. I was thinking of running it in the Dyno with the stock 16's but if I run 16's I wont really know exactly how much power the headers and cats added since I did my previous run on 20's.

  13. #238
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    I love you guys who give up their spare time and absorb the expenses to do these test. Ody, I hope you're taking some help like your older son.
    I just installed my Volant. If you come back with results contrary to HaveBlue regarding the Volant I'm gonna explode!

  14. #239
    SdMarineGuy's Avatar
    SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    I love you guys who give up their spare time and absorb the expenses to do these test. Ody, I hope you're taking some help like your older son.
    I just installed my Volant. If you come back with results contrary to HaveBlue regarding the Volant I'm gonna explode!
    cool Robert now tell me you honestly don't feel the Volant give you more power when you get on the gas compared to the Tony-A....

  15. #240
    TripleOught's Avatar
    TripleOught is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    st clair shores, MI
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

    on installing the volant, i used pieces of dark foam to wedge between the back of the volant box and the fender. this eliminates any slip and helps eliminate vibrations from the engine.

    *note* when i took a screw driver to the top of the airbox (the 7 set screwes on the carbon fiber) they were all quite loose. i'm hoping the foam eliminates some of that. MAKE SURE TO OCCASIONALLY CHECK THE SCREWS. it has been roughly 2 months with my volant...just for your information...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting