The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; HaveBlue and everyone involved, a great debt is owed to you all for giving up your time, money and parts ...
    FSU_Noles is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante, 06 CTS

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

HaveBlue and everyone involved, a great debt is owed to you all for giving up your time, money and parts to make this test happen. I have been following this thread since I bought my car and was eagerly awaiting the results. I am not sure that I am interested in spending the time or money to to get an 8-13hp gain - very nice test.

MUCHOS KUDOS to you all... thanks.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Correct me if I'm reading these wrong Scott, but my reading of the score on the first sheet shows max HP's:

Stock 220.2
    TonyA 225.1 (+4.9 HP)
    Volant 233.5 (+13.3 HP)

It looks like the K&N and the Volant have very similar curves, except for the jump at 5900.

What's with the dips between 4600 and 5900? What I find interesting is that the curves appear to be the same shape, with different offsets, meaning the HP gains are across the board, and not only at higher RPMs.

rich9426 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Great job , but your work is not done . For all of us that are not car literate could you explain these results for us in more detail. Sorry missed the post with the written results . Sorry Robert the TonyA not much better than the original. Where is my happy meal?

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Thank you so much HaveBlue!!! Now get those intakes back to Ody for "The Great Air Intake Challenge, Part Deux!"

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    What's with the dips between 4600 and 5900? What I find interesting is that the curves appear to be the same shape, with different offsets, meaning the HP gains are across the board, and not only at higher RPMs.

HaveBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by yomommas
    can you be thanked enough?
    hey we had a great time today. I was very interesting. The dyno operator, Travis keep looking at the screen and saying, "that motors doing some srange stuff in there"

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    hey we had a great time today. I was very interesting. The dyno operator, Travis keep looking at the screen and saying, "that motors doing some srange stuff in there"
    You know you have something special if you can get someone who does dyno runs on a daily basis to make a comment like that!

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus

My SWAG is the dips have something to do with VVT. and yes the increases were definatley through out the RPM range.

Quote Originally Posted by rich9426
    Great job , but your work is not done . For all of us that are not car literate could you explain these results for us in more detail
    buy a Volant

MontySkull is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So in general, the K&N and Volant were identical as I predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by MontySkull
    So in general, the K&N and Volant were identical as I predicted.
    The Volant made about 2 HP on average better than the K&N thru the entire RPM range. I was surprised. The K&N has a bigger filter (more surface area)and with no box there is no chance of a bog due to pressure drop when the throttle opens. I really expected the K&N to do better. Again I think it's in the tube design. No contest on the noise factor though.

MontySkull is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't mind the noise since it doesn't drone when cruising down the highway.

rich9426 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I already have a Volant installed in my 05' 3.6 and I think it is incredible . Already expected the answer you got . Thanks again , Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    buy a Volant

Quote Originally Posted by MontySkull
    I don't mind the noise since it doesn't drone when cruising down the highway.
    your golden then

MCD40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah, the K&N is incredibly noisy; I kind of like it, but I'm one of the younger guys so that might explain a bit. A five HP trade-off for noise levels...hmm.

But all things aside, HaveBlue, great job putting this experiment together; we're pioneering a track for all the future CTS owners to follow, I find that pretty awesome and humbling, and we owe you a lot of gratitude for your time and effort. I was honored to be a part of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.