The Great Air Intake Challenge - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, The Great Air Intake Challenge in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So why all the moaning and whinning? This is what we have been waiting for. Cheers!...
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Re: The Great Air Intake Challenge

So why all the moaning and whinning? This is what we have been waiting for.
    Cheers!

MontySkull is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    All the filters will be cleaned and properly reoiled. The stock filter only has a few hundred miles on it.
    Right on.

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    So why all the moaning and whinning? This is what we have been waiting for.
    Cheers!
    --> --> -->

IHIeiniken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what are we all fighting for? we are literally days away from the moment of truth!!! haha. BTW any bets yet? lol

Quote Originally Posted by IHIeiniken
    what are we all fighting for? we are literally days away from the moment of truth!!! haha. BTW any bets yet? lol
    Dont worry guys, my grumpiness yesterday had nothing to do with the forum. I was crashing the party and got called out on it. Better now and you can be I'll be checking up every 5 minutes on thurs until those results come in!

So this: --> --> -->

Translates to this: Me being pissy on a happy day in the forum --> Bob and 3-0 taking turns savagely beating me with a stick and a frying pan --> delirious from the pain, I buy them a round of beers.

*EDIT* - wow, the new upgrades let me use way too many smileys.

*EDIT**EDIT* - oh yeah, I'll put 5 happy meals on 1) Volant, 2) TonyA, 3) K&N.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

BTW, is there any way you can make that same opening aside the radiator that the Volant is using, for the K&N for it to get cooler air too???

MCD40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo
    BTW, is there any way you can make that same opening aside the radiator that the Volant is using, for the K&N for it to get cooler air too???
    I wanted to do something like this when I had the K&N kit on my car, but in the end I concluded that the results wouldn't be worth the work. You would have to cut the rubber piece next to the radiator and then route some kind of rectangular tube through the aperture so that while the car is driving, the air would be forced through the grille, through the tube, and into the corner of the engine bay where the head of the intake is. And the heat-shield that K&N provides with the kit will get in the way of whatever tubing you plan on running through the opening next to the radiator after you cut the rubber away; the head-shield doesn't do it's job very well either. To fully harness this affect, I just thought I would be better off getting something else with an enclosed box so the cold air wouldn't mix with the air from under the hood. I do notice you have a 3.2 though...might be different.

Yeah, the problem is the clearance between the radiator and the back of the headlights. plus I know with the OEM airbox, that would only give you access behind the filter so thats a no-no. What I'm thinking about doing is running a hose down below the headlight. Down at the bottom of the bumper theres just a thin rubber lining that I'd have to get through to get to the lower grill area. That whole areas open so I could then mount the hose to collect air just about anywhere I want. There still may be a clearance issue here having to do with the headlight assembly, plus the horn is mounted in that lower area which might make it a little complicated to run the hose. Having not worked with the K&N, I'm not sure if this would work for you, but it might lead you in the right direction. I recommend just popping the hood and looking around. you might also be able to better visualize this route if you pull the front drivers side wheel off and pop out the wheel well liner.

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    Yeah, the problem is the clearance between the radiator and the back of the headlights. plus I know with the OEM airbox, that would only give you access behind the filter so thats a no-no. What I'm thinking about doing is running a hose down below the headlight. Down at the bottom of the bumper theres just a thin rubber lining that I'd have to get through to get to the lower grill area. That whole areas open so I could then mount the hose to collect air just about anywhere I want. There still may be a clearance issue here having to do with the headlight assembly, plus the horn is mounted in that lower area which might make it a little complicated to run the hose. Having not worked with the K&N, I'm not sure if this would work for you, but it might lead you in the right direction. I recommend just popping the hood and looking around. you might also be able to better visualize this route if you pull the front drivers side wheel off and pop out the wheel well liner.
    Doc,
    What's that in your Avatar? Looks like a dental hearse or sumptin'
    You know I just threw away a 6' section of 4" hose that was too big for my brake duct. You may have been able to use it. Sorry.

rich9426 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'll tell you what , my money is on the volant. I installed mine today and it is incredible . I could feel the car lift when I nailed it. Extreme sound improvment and great power increase . Any takers?
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveBlue
    OK All,
    I've got all the kits, (thanks to Krank & Ody). The dyno day is scheduled for this Thursday the 20th at 10:00am Pacific Time.
    Let the Games Begin!

AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

All this comes down to airflow. In most cases the filter itself is the choke point since it's, well filtering. On my GTO I just figured out the surface area of the stock panel filter is 84 sq inches and the cone filter is 155 sq in. If both filters are filtering the same it's easy to see that the cone gets almost twice as much area to pull air in.

Now my V's stock panel filter is more like 70 sq inches.

I've seen dynos of 10 to 15 hp gains on a GTO with a cone filter.

Unless the V-6 CTS engine can't make use of the extra air the Volant is going to be an improvement over stock and should be better than the Tony mod since the panel filter can't flow as much air as a cone.

It will be interesting to see how it comes out.
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TripleOught
    i bet these 20" guys don't wanna hear the results...
    I know I do..actually, I'm getting mine dynoe'd also at a dyno shop in LA...just have to make the appointment...$90.....guess we'll see what the Volant, V-exhaust and Magnaflow is pushing out..and oh yeah, 20" wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    Doc,
    What's that in your Avatar? Looks like a dental hearse or sumptin'
    You know I just threw away a 6' section of 4" hose that was too big for my brake duct. You may have been able to use it. Sorry.
    Bob - Obviously you never dreamed of growing up to be a Ghost Buster!!!

*EDIT* - since I changed my avatar, I better link the old one here or no one will understand.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS
    Bob - Obviously you never dreamed of growing up to be a Ghost Buster!!!

*EDIT* - since I changed my avatar, I better link the old one here or no one will understand.
    Is she the new Love of your life Doc? Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by AmesCTS-V
    All this comes down to airflow. In most cases the filter itself is the choke point since it's, well filtering. On my GTO I just figured out the surface area of the stock panel filter is 84 sq inches and the cone filter is 155 sq in. If both filters are filtering the same it's easy to see that the cone gets almost twice as much area to pull air in.
    Now my V's stock panel filter is more like 70 sq inches.
    I've seen dynos of 10 to 15 hp gains on a GTO with a cone filter.
    Unless the V-6 CTS engine can't make use of the extra air the Volant is going to be an improvement over stock and should be better than the Tony mod since the panel filter can't flow as much air as a cone.
    It will be interesting to see how it comes out.
    Ames,
    Here's my take on the cone vs the panel filter. You have an air flow pattern through the filter. The air will seek the closest and fastest area of the filter. You have an entrance and an exit point. I don't think air can be taken in at an exit point. So how much air comes into the filter requires the same amount filter space for the exit. So in a way half is intake and half is exhaust air. I think that reduces the available filter space by 50%.

Next I think the flat panel is more than than enough surface space. After many miles we've looked at the flat panel filter and only about a 3" diameter is being used. That's a very small portion of the filter surface.

After the TonyA mod the air is directled in a completely different direction which totals at two sources. Ody provided us with a nice pic that depicts the increased air flow. All of those small circles are the new flow. That was the proof we were looking for to show the TonyA was functioning.

But all of this bantering will come to light at the dyno soon! The only factor that won't be addressed is the at speed air pressure boost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.