need new battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By curtc
  • 1 Post By curtc
  • 1 Post By curtc
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, need new battery in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I need a new battery for my 2004 CTS. I'm a little strapped financially so I'm looking for something relatively ...
    giomedina88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

need new battery

I need a new battery for my 2004 CTS. I'm a little strapped financially so I'm looking for something relatively cheap. Which batters works good and doesn't cost much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Don't buy the recommended type 101, get a type 78. They're cheaper, have more CCA's, fit just fine, and are much easier to find. I got one for my STS for like $90 at Walmart.
    mattt0305 and CTSM like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

giomedina88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks for the reply bro appreciate it.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: need new battery

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Don't buy the recommended type 101, get a type 78. They're cheaper, have more CCA's, fit just fine, and are much easier to find. I got one for my STS for like $90 at Walmart.
    Very interesting info CurtC, what do you think is the main difference in between the 101 and 78, is it just the high CCA rating? Dimensions exactly the same? Mount holds it tight? No wiggling at all? If that's the case then it's a great tip! BTW wish I knew that, just bought a 101 AC Delco today for $130 could have saved me some money CurtC

jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

The 78 is about 1/2" taller than the 101 but will fit snugly. I believe the cranking amps are higher than the 101. Be aware that if you buy your battery at Wal-Mart and need a warranty replacement, they may try to void your warranty on the technicality that the 78 doesn't belong in the CTS. I had to take it to their national customer service number because the store management refused to honor the warranty.

mattt0305 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

I bought a group 78. Fits just fine just a little bit taller, the top touches the bottom of that rubber seal that runs along the cowl. Higher CCA than the 101. I would take a pic but it's 11 degrees out and 30 mph winds lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jgclark View Post
    The 78 is about 1/2" taller than the 101 but will fit snugly. I believe the cranking amps are higher than the 101. Be aware that if you buy your battery at Wal-Mart and need a warranty replacement, they may try to void your warranty on the technicality that the 78 doesn't belong in the CTS. I had to take it to their national customer service number because the store management refused to honor the warranty.
    I wouldn't tell Walmart what the battery was in. I'll come armed with info though, if they ask I'll be sure and know which cars the 78 goes into and name one. Walmart of all places isn't screwing me on a technicallity.
    CTSM likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

OEM from the dealer will only cost you 150.

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    OEM from the dealer will only cost you 150.
    And net you less CCA than the cheaper 78, no thanks on the 101. Why spend more for less?
    mattt0305 likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

Missilw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

I can absolutely confirm that a Group 78 Sears Diehard fit just fine in my 2005 CTS 3.6. I purchased the Sears 50778 (775 CCA) AGM battery for an online price of $134 and picked it up at my local Sears Auto Center. The 50778 is top rated by Consumer Reports. It is just a little snug but fits OK. The hood seals fine and no damage whatsoever to the hood insulation. The gray battery cover will sit up a little higher because the side terminals are a little higher on the Group 78 versus the Group 101, but this not an issue either.

Also, although the overall published dimensions of this battery would lead you to believe it is 9/16" higher, it really isn't. That dimension is deceiving because this battery appears to have been converted from a top post battery so the highest point of the battery is at the front and the back part of the battery which is sitting under the cowl is just a bit higher that the Group 101 and at least with the Sears battery was not 9/16" higher at the critical height dimension that sits under the cowl.

-Mike

Stuffy504 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

A 101 battery for $150? I would have to go to the "stealership" and pay $225 for the battery.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.