Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Save my day!! my car wont start

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Johny 
#1 ·
Hello guys im new to the forum but I really need help my 03 cts 3.2 L v6 had the check engine light and the code was to replace the cramshaft position sensor it looked simple i replaced the one that was on the top right of the engine I follow the instructions disconnecting the negative cable from the battery and I was very careful to replace the sensor but after I placed the new one my car wont start at all I tried everything I even placed the old one back one to see if maybe the new one was bad but it still wont start any ideas I really need my car is the only I got if any one new how could I start it atleast to drive it to the dealer thatll be great plz any help?

#5 ·
It wont crank I checked the battery and it's good I took the starter motor and it was bad so I replaced but it still doesnt start and you known whats weird I noticed a starter fuse was burnt so I went to the store bought a new one and when I turn the key to start it it burnt the one!! Any ideas of whats going on?

#8 ·
Best way is to take a multimeter on DC volts and measure from the ground to the positive battery terminal. A good ground will measure the same as battery voltage(measure battery voltage before you start), and if it's lower than battery voltage you have high resistance in that ground.

#9 ·
You had a check engine code and the car started OK. You replaced a sensor and then the car fails to start. As was suggested, go over the work area and check for improperly replaced connectors and cables, dislodged components, etc.
I am at a loss as to why your starter is faulty if it was working before. How was that determined? Was the fuse blown before the starter was removed or was that noticed only after the starter was replaced? Could the fuse have been blown during the installation of the new starter? Was the starter tested at the store (do you know that it works and not the cause of the blown fuse)?
A blown fuse tells me that you have a short circuit between a positive feed and ground. A 'bad' ground does not blow a fuse but does offer a high resistance to current flow such that your device will not work properly. Since the fuse is in the 'starter' circuit that you were in when you replaced the starter, that is where you need to look.

#10 ·
Yes I had the check engine light on and I took it to 3 different places they all said that I needed to replace the camshaft position sensor so I did and after that my car wouldnt start and it made a ticking noise as if it didn't have power to start but it didn't crank just made a ticking sound I placed the old one thinking the new sensor was bad but same story just a ticking noise I even took the battery thinking maybe the battery had died but its fairly a new battery and they checked it and it was good I cleaned the terminals that are connected to the battery and nothing still a ticking noise my dad came over the weekend he's pretty good with cars and said that it sounded as if the starter didn't have enough power to start he took it off and we took it to auto zone and they said that it was bad so we bought a new one and as soon as we tried to start it it only tick once and after that didn't make a noise so we spent hours checking what could of been until we noticed the fuse was burnt we bought a new one and as soon as we started it it burnt the fuse we did that a couple of times he even took almost everything off from the bottom that could possibly touching a wire from the new starter and nothing it would burn the fuse again right now we got nothing I was very careful replacing that sensor which was pretty easy to replace and there was nothing around that I could of knocked off the only thing I did was unplug the sensor unscrew it place the other one I did notice one of the ends of the sensor has something that looks like a magnet idk if theres a trick to put them in or what or if theres just something else wrong

#11 ·
It looks like a computer problem to me. If your starter don't crank at all, you have to reset the ECM (or ECU). To do that, just follow the procedure hereafter. But before doing that and before spending money at the garage or at the dealers, the first thing to do is to connect a good AUTOMATIC battery charger to your battery and give it a slow charge (10 amps or less) for a long time (24 hours or more) EVEN IF YOUR BATTERY IS STRONG ENOUGH TO CRANK THE ENGINE, ITS VOLTAGE MAY NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH TO SUPPLY YOUR ELECTRONIC SYSTEM WITH A STRONG AND STEADY VOLTAGE. Most of the problems should be solved. If not, than go to your dealer, but make sure you have a lot of money in your pocket.

Now, if you want to reset the ECU or ECM, here is the good and safe way to do it:

First you,ve got to know that your ignition switch has 4 different positions; "A", "B", "C" and "D".

"A" = fully off (you can pull out your key), "B" = off (you can't pull out your key), "C" = ON (all the lights are ON in you dash board), "D" = cranking position.

1.- Turn the ignition switch to "A" or "B" position if "A" is not possible.

2.- Remove the fuse panel lid. (The fuse panel should be in the engine compartment, passenger side, near the radiator)

3.- Pull out the fuse labeled "ECM" or "ECU" (You may use a pair of long nose plyers or the small plastic tool that's allready in the fuse box) (The inside of the fuse panel lid shows a chart indicating where each fuse is located)

4.- Turn the ignition switch to "ON" (position "C") (be carefull not to go as far as cranck position "D").

5.- Leave it like that and wait at least 5 minutes.

6.- Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position ( it should go to "A" position)

7.- Replace the fuse carefully into its slot in the fuse panel. Press it down until it is fully inserted. Replace the fuse box cover

This should do it. Good luck to you.

#12 ·
AutoZone parts are complete garbage. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new one was faulty. I would have it tested.

As suggested, look over the work area, and inspect the wires/connectors in the starting circuit. It sounds like a short if the fuse is blowing as soon as the key is turned.

No complicated procedures required to "reset" (reboot/clear all temporary memory) the ECM. Disconnect both battery terminals, touch them together. That's all.

#14 ·
Alright guys just following up with you guys so I took the starter off and took it to auto zone and the one they sold me was bad so they replaced it thats why it kept burning the fuse but damn im so pissed I spended so much time on that car how are you suppose to know the part you just bought is bad?!?!?!?! How can they sell something thats broken?? Im furious not only for time but I didnt have car to go to work but anyways yea after I replaced it it turned on fine no problems atleast not yet but thanks guys for everything!!

#15 ·
Johny said:
Alright guys just following up with you guys so I took the starter off and took it to auto zone and the one they sold me was bad so they replaced it thats why it kept burning the fuse but damn im so pissed I spended so much time on that car how are you suppose to know the part you just bought is bad?!?!?!?! How can they sell something thats broken?? Im furious not only for time but I didnt have car to go to work but anyways yea after I replaced it it turned on fine no problems atleast not yet but thanks guys for everything!!
I've learned that parts from auto zone are TRASH! I've also bought brand new parts from there & they don't freaking work. Go to I Reilly's. Same price. But their stuff actually works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.