New owner of a 07 cts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, New owner of a 07 cts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; hello all, just wanted to join the forum as i just traded my 07 mustang gt-cs for a cts. im ...
    butters is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

New owner of a 07 cts

hello all, just wanted to join the forum as i just traded my 07 mustang gt-cs for a cts. im so happy to get that car outta my life!

ill get pictures later but i got the dark blue 3.6 not sure if its base or sport but it has the 18" wheels and spoiler so i assumed it was the sport.

i was curious about adding some extra pep and seen next to zero parts so i thought id look on here. im going to wash/wax her today so pics to come. i look forward to some new friends and info but for now i bid you farewell

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

johnsav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts luxury sport package

Re: New owner of a 07 cts

Congrats on the new car! and welcome..what made you trade in the mustang? I was never a fan of mustangs either lol.

i had put lt headers on and since had o2 problems. i was 6 months past due on tags so i finally got ready for inspection and failed emissions. i spent a week trying to fix it but failed. was a nice car but dont do me no good if its illegal.here are some pics of both. i need to get those windows tinted and a volant cai and after that i want that cowel hood

johnsav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts luxury sport package

Good choice I think thats my favorite year first gen. you got the sport package, my spoiler I just put on looks exactly like that one too.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Congrats on the 07 CTS and welcome aboard.

However and unfortunately, if you are looking for reliability you will not find it here. What you have done is jump from a car that wasn't that good (albeit has more power) to a car that is more fun classier however has major issues by design.

First and foremost you got oil consumption to deal with. These cars typically burn 1qt / 1000 mile so watch your oil level every week once at least or else you will end up with a hole in your wallet without warning.

Everything nearly is prone to failure almost pretty early on as well.

The stock radiator(with built-in transmission cooler) and it's quick connect fittings are prone to failure resulting in transmission damage.
    The ECMs fail often resulting in a costly replacement think hundreds for that.
    The PCM has failed on my car as well and was replaced.
    The oil consumption issue in itself is resulting in damaged catalytic converters in many cases that you have to replace if the emissions warranty is over and no one will help you with that, so if you want to stay legal without continuously spending money you will not find that luxury here.
    Furthermore, a horrible PCV system design issue causes blow-by to end up in your air filter and tubes and all over the car's throttle body then it ends up in the intake manifold messing up your air flow and the cleanliness of your air-fuel mixture. Some are rightly so theorizing that oil consumption is decreasing this car's mpg.
    Even knock sensors failure early on is likely
    The differential carrier bushing is constructed from utter none-sense, ends up deteriorating by the 50k-60K mile mark, you then end up having to replace it with a pricey urethane unit from Creative Steel / polyurethane one from Revshift.
    Drive-line components typically fail before you get to 100K miles, that includes rubber flex discs being torn to pieces, drive shaft support failure and to top it off a weakly constructed Getrag differential is used for a good measure, drive-line components and bushings repairs / replacement with quality aftermarket parts can quickly pile up to a grand easy.
    Rubber trim all around the car is prone to failure, that includes windshield reveal molding, and you've got trunks which leak water because bezels are not properly insulated from the environment.
    My rear windshield entirely shattered to little pieces while intact on it's own even one day while my car was parked!
    Electric sunroofs failure have been reported as well.
    Squeaks and rattles galore in the CTS hardly a luxurious ride most year around. Even the armrest squeaks like mad without maintenance.
    FOB range is typically pathetic
    My light control stick at the steering column failed early on as well and even the wiper motor cover board has gone bad resulting in a wiper that stays on for 2 minutes every time the windshield spray button is used. Dang now that's about a $100 out the window!
    Battery drain issues are very very common you've got to watch for that if you leave your car parked for a few days most of the time.
    CD changers often swallows CDs and they end up stuck, which locks up your CD player and renders it useless.

If you have all the time in the world (and plenty of money to spare) you will enjoy the CTS I have for years, but you can tell I highly doubt there will be second Cadillac in my future, I will be moving on to better things and Cadillac as it is is not one of them.

I would like to add that these failures above are just from my car (I'm at ~83K), with the exception of the ECM failure and the drive shaft related failures but those are very commonly reported here on the forum so I'm sure my turn is up pretty soon.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    hello all, just wanted to join the forum as i just traded my 07 mustang gt-cs for a cts. im so happy to get that car outta my life!

ill get pictures later but i got the dark blue 3.6 not sure if its base or sport but it has the 18" wheels and spoiler so i assumed it was the sport.

i was curious about adding some extra pep and seen next to zero parts so i thought id look on here. im going to wash/wax her today so pics to come. i look forward to some new friends and info but for now i bid you farewell
    Welcome to Cadillac Owners and congratulations on your recent purchase of a 2007 CTS, butters! Thank you for sharing the pictures with the forum; your Cadillac is looking sharp. If you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist and can be reached via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

poncho89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS- V

Nice way to rain on the dudes parade.

it's sad and yes it's very negative I admit, but every bit of it is true. I'm currently dealing with multiple issues in my car and would like to warn newcomers about them, i wish someone rained on my parade like that, because i was happy thinking I were getting a quality car, someone should have woke me up from that dream. Now at this point, I have so much invested in it I don't have it in me to just hand it over for peanuts after all that work and time. he gave up on his Mustang because of the issues he was having with oxygen sensors that was not allowing him to pass emissions testing. Well, he came to the wrong car, this car from my experience goes through cats like it's no one's business thanks to the oil consumption issues. That alone should make him reconsider his decision.

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

It's really hard to judge without statistics. I just checked MSN auto ratings at and it rates an 8.4 which not bad. I have only owned mine for about a year, and yup, have oil usage issues (about a quart after every 5-7 tanks of gas - that depends on type of driving too), have had a rear wheel bearing replaced, and once had the problem with the transmission oil cooler lines disconnecting on their own. Then again, I am the fourth owner of the car. No idea how the previous three owners treated it.

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    Congrats on the 07 CTS and welcome aboard.

However and unfortunately, if you are looking for reliability you will not find it here. What you have done is jump from a car that wasn't that good (albeit has more power) to a car that is more fun classier however has major issues by design.

First and foremost you got oil consumption to deal with. These cars typically burn 1qt / 1000 mile so watch your oil level every week once at least or else you will end up with a hole in your wallet without warning.

Everything nearly is prone to failure almost pretty early on as well.

The stock radiator(with built-in transmission cooler) and it's quick connect fittings are prone to failure resulting in transmission damage.
    The ECMs fail often resulting in a costly replacement think hundreds for that.
    The PCM has failed on my car as well and was replaced.
    The oil consumption issue in itself is resulting in damaged catalytic converters in many cases that you have to replace if the emissions warranty is over and no one will help you with that, so if you want to stay legal without continuously spending money you will not find that luxury here.
    Furthermore, a horrible PCV system design issue causes blow-by to end up in your air filter and tubes and all over the car's throttle body then it ends up in the intake manifold messing up your air flow and the cleanliness of your air-fuel mixture. Some are rightly so theorizing that oil consumption is decreasing this car's mpg.
    Even knock sensors failure early on is likely
    The differential carrier bushing is constructed from utter none-sense, ends up deteriorating by the 50k-60K mile mark, you then end up having to replace it with a pricey urethane unit from Creative Steel / polyurethane one from Revshift.
    Drive-line components typically fail before you get to 100K miles, that includes rubber flex discs being torn to pieces, drive shaft support failure and to top it off a weakly constructed Getrag differential is used for a good measure, drive-line components and bushings repairs / replacement with quality aftermarket parts can quickly pile up to a grand easy.
    Rubber trim all around the car is prone to failure, that includes windshield reveal molding, and you've got trunks which leak water because bezels are not properly insulated from the environment.
    My rear windshield entirely shattered to little pieces while intact on it's own even one day while my car was parked!
    Electric sunroofs failure have been reported as well.
    Squeaks and rattles galore in the CTS hardly a luxurious ride most year around. Even the armrest squeaks like mad without maintenance.
    FOB range is typically pathetic
    My light control stick at the steering column failed early on as well and even the wiper motor cover board has gone bad resulting in a wiper that stays on for 2 minutes every time the windshield spray button is used. Dang now that's about a $100 out the window!
    Battery drain issues are very very common you've got to watch for that if you leave your car parked for a few days most of the time.
    CD changers often swallows CDs and they end up stuck, which locks up your CD player and renders it useless.

If you have all the time in the world (and plenty of money to spare) you will enjoy the CTS I have for years, but you can tell I highly doubt there will be second Cadillac in my future, I will be moving on to better things and Cadillac as it is is not one of them.

I would like to add that these failures above are just from my car (I'm at ~83K), with the exception of the ECM failure and the drive shaft related failures but those are very commonly reported here on the forum so I'm sure my turn is up pretty soon.
    sounds like you got screwed on your car. did you have it checked out first? maybe it's time to move on to some other car. I know if it were me, I'd dump it and get something else.

to the OP.... not all CTSs are POS. I have none of those problems. my 0 had 82k miles and doesn't burn or leak oil, no electrical issues (except to replace the OE battery last November), I did have to replace the water pump at 78k miles. BUT, I expect routine maintenance on all the cars I've ever owned. nothing lasts without a little TLC. congrats on the coolest car on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-QC View Post
    It's really hard to judge without statistics. I just checked MSN auto ratings at and it rates an 8.4 which not bad. I have only owned mine for about a year, and yup, have oil usage issues (about a quart after every 5-7 tanks of gas - that depends on type of driving too), have had a rear wheel bearing replaced, and once had the problem with the transmission oil cooler lines disconnecting on their own. Then again, I am the fourth owner of the car. No idea how the previous three owners treated it.
    I understand what you are saying, but reviews on MSN auto or other places really doesn't mean much. Most of them are not doing a long-term test, most people will put a review based on short-term experience. And really the short term experience with this car is typically fantastic mine included! As I said this CTS is nothing less than fantastic to drive, when I first bought it I was blown away and as I started to do my minor upgrades the experience went from good to just great. I can't tire from driving this car ever, I know I can drive it till the rest of my life if it would last that long. However, unfortunately, when you own a car for almost 5 years, things start wearing you out, it's -1 F out there where I am and having to check the oil level then add some while oil is flowing like honey from the bottle and my hands are near getting frostbite is not a good experience with a car, dealing with this snow while my windshield sprayer and wiper are not working normally due to the bad windshield wiper motor cover board is not a fun experience and so on.

Tell you what, go to any Cadillac dealership, give them your VIN and have them print you a service history report. They will give it to you. Then you will have a much better idea about what did the previous three owners do. Then report back on your findings. I think you will change your perspective, I foresee no less than a ten significant entries on your car, then maybe we can discuss statistics.

Speaking of statistics have you been keeping an eye on the forum lately? It's the same failures coming back again and again and again. In no specific order, I mean dear Lord, that ECM seems to have been made from crackers. Everyday almost it seems there is a guy with a failed ECM and some guys are return complainers, these ECMs are supposed to be designed to last really last, not your regular maintenance item and the proof is in how much it costs to get yourself a replacement labor and part wise these aren't easily accessible things you can get from your hardware store. Driveshaft components as well, at some point no one made a replacement flex disc, you had to buy a complete OEM drive shaft assembly with two flex discs. Again, not something made to deteriorate so fast.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
    sounds like you got screwed on your car. did you have it checked out first? maybe it's time to move on to some other car. I know if it were me, I'd dump it and get something else.

to the OP.... not all CTSs are POS. I have none of those problems. my 0 had 82k miles and doesn't burn or leak oil, no electrical issues (except to replace the OE battery last November), I did have to replace the water pump at 78k miles. BUT, I expect routine maintenance on all the cars I've ever owned. nothing lasts without a little TLC. congrats on the coolest car on the road.
    Dude, these issues are since it was brand new till today ~83K miles. And all work and maintenance until the bumper to bumper and powertrain warranties expired was done at Cadillac dealerships, that includes very regular oil and other fluid changes, simple maintenance, major maintenance and all recalls were done immediately with no delay at Cadillac dealerships, I have cabinet in my office loaded with documentation from the tens of visits.

i appreciate the warnings. i notice you have the borla system, you think that has anything to do with cat failure? as soon as i took off the factory manifolds and cats my problems began. the cts has very few performance parts so i cant do as much as id like so im not going to get balls deep in this car. ill get the volant and the cowl hood and im done. i understand you have a good amount invested but at some point you gotta part with it. i lost a bunch of cash as well but im happy now. the cts is damn near as fast as that gt was stock and that shocked me. the cts had one owner and her name was something crazy old like gurtrude or mildred so im sure it was cared for (besides the rear pass door that is peppered with dings prolly from a grandchilds bike or scooter) car has 57k miles and i have a bumper to bumper warranty that goes until the car hits 100k. i can promise this car will be gone by then as i get bored fast with everything. if i had half the money ive wasted on drum sets, golf clubs, car parts, guns/ammo, that i have sold only to buy again then sell i could pay cash for a 14 cts-v (exaggerated)

bottom line is if i start having a bunch of trouble ill happily take peanuts over gut wrenching stress and getting pulled over daily (thanks to the wifey i dont get fines) but getting stopped still sux. in the end its only money, time and busted knuckles (wrenching) which i have gotten somewhat good at and i must thank that stupid ford for that as knowledge is priceless.

before mustang

after

i appreciate the warnings. i notice you have the borla system, you think that has anything to do with cat failure? as soon as i took off the factory manifolds and cats my problems began. the cts has very few performance parts so i cant do as much as id like so im not going to get balls deep in this car. ill get the volant and the cowl hood and im done. i understand you have a good amount invested but at some point you gotta part with it. i lost a bunch of cash as well but im happy now. the cts is damn near as fast as that gt was stock and that shocked me. the cts had one owner and her name was something crazy old like gurtrude or mildred so im sure it was cared for (besides the rear pass door that is peppered with dings prolly from a grandchilds bike or scooter) car has 57k miles and i have a bumper to bumper warranty that goes until the car hits 100k. i can promise this car will be gone by then as i get bored fast with everything. if i had half the money ive wasted on drum sets, golf clubs, car parts, guns/ammo, that i have sold only to buy again then sell i could pay cash for a 14 cts-v (exaggerated)

bottom line is if i start having a bunch of trouble ill happily take peanuts over gut wrenching stress and getting pulled over daily (thanks to the wifey i dont get fines) but getting stopped still sux. in the end its only money, time and busted knuckles (wrenching) which i have gotten somewhat good at and i must thank that stupid ford for that as knowledge is priceless.

You're welcome and I really do hope you don't face any of them issues but statistics on this forum beg to differ, you are at least prone to the oil consumption problem since a vast majority on the forum do in fact face that problem.

As for the Borla exhaust, that went in after the third cat went bad, so I highly doubt that's the reason behind it. But it does put a smile on my face to compensate at least for my trouble, gotta say since on that topic, the Borla catback and the Volant are a wicked combination, the car feels unstoppable on the road and on the highway. I would be accelerating on the highway I hit 80 and the CTS just wants to go way beyond that you can feel the engine has not reached it's max effort still. That's thanks to the gearing, at 80 MPh it's doing ~3100 RPM which is precisely were the factory torque peak is at.

As for bumper to bumper warranty, I'm afraid you don't have that. Bumper to bumper warranty on the CTS expires at 50K miles, what you have if you really still have a warranty is powertrain warranty which goes 5 years from date of first sale or 100K miles which ever hits first. Are you sure you have that still we are in January of 2014 after all. I would check my VIN with the dealership before assuming anything about a warranty on an 07 Cadillac in 2014.

im paying over 2k for the b2b warranty and i have a copy of what it covers. besides the door dings this car was babied. im not scared off by burning oil as i have a friend that works for amsoil. so far the car is great, doesnt have the torque the stang had but it still gets going. rides like a dream and its low enough to make me care less about lowering it. that pony looked like it had a lift kit on it and body roll and bumps where killin me

im paying over 2k for the b2b warranty and i have a copy of what it covers. besides the door dings this car was babied. im not scared off by burning oil as i have a friend that works for amsoil. so far the car is great, doesnt have the torque the stang had but it still gets going. rides like a dream and its low enough to make me care less about lowering it. that pony looked like it had a lift kit on it and body roll and bumps where killin me
    Ah I see, that's a warranty you purchased, that's actually very smart to do with this car. I thought you were referring to the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.