3.6 Engine swap --- help please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 3.6 Engine swap --- help please in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I'm about to buy an '07 3.6 to swap into my '06 CTS, replacing the old 3.6. Should I remove ...
    AlanEdwards is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

3.6 Engine swap --- help please

I'm about to buy an '07 3.6 to swap into my '06 CTS, replacing the old 3.6.

Should I remove the tranny along with the old engine, mount the tranny to the "new" one, and put them both back in together, or should I dismount the engine from the tranny and leave it in the car while I pull the engine out, then remount the "new" engine to the tranny while it's still in the car?

Thanks!!!

Alan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Re: 3.6 Engine swap --- help please

Thanks very much Matt, but I saw that thread in my initial searches. I was wondering if someone new for sure that it was better to take the tranny out too, as opposed to leaving it in like Brifinny did. Just because he left it in doesn't mean that it's best to leave it in, as he's a self-described shadetree mechanic. There's got to be someone here that can answer that question for sure.

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Well I did my clutch and pressure plate etc. If you can pull them as a single piece I would. If the auto is anything like my manual those bell housing bolts are a bear. One in particular is right behind the outlet pipes for the heater core you MUST remove the pipe assembly if you pull the trans first.Get a gasket and o ring for it. And don't mess with the heater hoses at the engine side take them loose at the core side and replace them while its all out. Also to clear the firewall you have to drop the back of the cradle two inches and rotate the trans clockwise 90 degrees. To drop the cradle too you must disconnect the steering intermediate shaft at the rack. Ideally seems that dropping them together from the bottom on a lift is the way to do it. Those trans bolts are external torx e14 if I remember right. One of those hose clamp pliers with the cable made my life a whole lot easier.

Thanks again Matt. I didn't consider pulling the engine and tranny from the bottom. I figured I'd have to pull from above, tilting the two while coming out and back in. I'll be doing the job at the Auto Hobby Shop at MacDill AFB here in Tampa, FL, giving me access to bays with and without lifts, and more than likely all the tools I'll need. I like the idea of R&R-ing them together from below. It seems it might be smarter to go that route. If I remember correctly, the factory actually puts them in from the bottom.

Since Matt has a manual tranny, I'll ask this... Is there anyone here that knows for sure that going at it from the bottom with an automatic tranny is better? Or should I go the traditional route of R&R-ing them from above?

Thanks for the tips Matt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.