So this is what happens when a CTS rolls...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, So this is what happens when a CTS rolls... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My wife and almost 2 year old son were coming home the other morning. It was raining and the road ...
    Rc102782 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

So this is what happens when a CTS rolls...

My wife and almost 2 year old son were coming home the other morning. It was raining and the road is curvy. She was doing the speed limit (55), said it felt like she hit a little bump and a puddle, and the car started sliding. Slid across the road, down on the grass, and then the wheels dug in. It went on its side and then rolled on to the roof. Thankfully, Britax car seats must be really good. Both my son and wife walked away without a scratch. However the car is done. It had 260,000+ miles. It is funny that it still runs and drives. Should I cut the roof off and drive it like that? lol j/k... Anywho, I thought you guys might enjoy the pics, and I may part it out. It is a 2003 with the 3.2 (duh!) and an automatic. Wood wheel and shifter, memory seats, etc. Interior is in excellent condition. It ran great. If I do decide to part it out, I will update this thread. If we don't get another CTS, I probably won't be on here much after this is all done.
    Attached Images
    CTSM likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: So this is what happens when a CTS rolls...

Glad your wife and kid are ok that's all that matters, also on the plus side, a roll over at 55MPH could have been much worse, glad the vehicle held up well.

BTW what options are you considering for a replacement?

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Wow! Did it roll just once? No matter how many times it rolled, it held up pretty well. Thank you for the pictures and I am glad that they are ok. Any soreness?

KOT

More pics of it at the scene...
    Attached Images

My wife is picking out the replacement (she picked this one, with a little guidance from me). We didn't have full coverage, so it will be a cheap car. I am an unemployed college student, and she works at Dollar General. We also have two kids and a mortgage payment, so it is not like we are banking. Because of all that, we are thinking of trying to find a CTS with mechanical/electrical issues for really cheap, since we have a whole parts car.

It was only one roll, and I am happy how it held up. She said she was a little sore, but not bad at all. Trenton checked out fine, and he was securely strapped in his car seat, so I don't think he was sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rc102782 View Post
    My wife is picking out the replacement (she picked this one, with a little guidance from me). We didn't have full coverage, so it will be a cheap car. I am an unemployed college student, and she works at Dollar General. We also have two kids and a mortgage payment, so it is not like we are banking. Because of all that, we are thinking of trying to find a CTS with mechanical/electrical issues for really cheap, since we have a whole parts car.
    Well, it's a good and bad idea at the same time. This is a 230K miles car. So I'm assuming, your engine, transmission, drive-train components pretty much have that much wear on them. If this car had much less miles on it, I would say go look for a CTS with a bad trans or bad engine and then swap all that stuff out (especially if you are doing the work it would be cheap) but even that is not much of an option with the age you have on the parts on hand. It might be wiser to get a 3.6L CTS since those engines had much less issues than the 2003's 3.2L

Ya, I know the mileage is a lot. I had to figure out the exact mileage since I swapped instrument clusters to get a temp gauge. Even if I get one that needs a couple of doors, or a sunroof, interior etc, it would be nice to know that I had a running drive train on hand. The previous owner had all maintenance done at a Caddy dealer, and just did the timing belt around 35000 miles ago. I like the idea of having spare parts on hand. I don't know, we will see...

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    I'm glad your family is OK. You should get a Subaru since apparently those owners think they have the only vehicles that they can survive a crash in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

^Are you sure you are not talking about Volvos? Because it's a fact that Volvo drivers are immortals.

DaveFla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Wow! So glad all made it out OK!

DopeEffect is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Glad to hear your wife and child were not harmed. I know some people like to say Cadillacs are crappy cars but you definitely can't say they aren't built tough. Some cars disintegrate when they roll at that speed.

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    ^Are you sure you are not talking about Volvos? Because it's a fact that Volvo drivers are immortals.
    Lol, yes, them too.

Keep us posted on what you get as a replacement.

Planktron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5M Luxury/Sport: V rear bumper and V exhaust
    Wow man. Super happy about the outcome of your family on that. Not many parts left to sell lol. It's incredible how safe cars these days can be under the right conditions. 30 years ago everyone may have been pancakes. I'd part out what's left and use it as a down payment on a '14 CTS or ATS depending on budget ;-)

Planktron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5M Luxury/Sport: V rear bumper and V exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    Glad to hear your wife and child were not harmed. I know some people like to say Cadillacs are crappy cars but you definitely can't say they aren't built tough. Some cars disintegrate when they roll at that speed.
    Granted Cadillac had some dark days, but they were never crappy in my opinion, just a different breed than people were moving to buy. The STS competed with the 5 series IMO but both cars served totally different purposes and each excelled at them. The German was a sporty executive sedan while the STS was an uber comfortable cruiser with some punch. Hijack over.

CTSM likes this.

We looked at Volvos before we got the CTS. The ones from a decade ago had too many issues (and I HATE Ford). Subarus are too ugly. I would actually love an 05+ STS. I am thinking you meant CTS though. Anywho, There are quite a few good parts. The interior is near mint, it still runs and drives (it sucks driving with no windshield by the way), both headlights, hood, trunk, 1 tail light, and prolly a bunch of other stuff are still perfect. I may part it out if we don't get another CTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.