side airbags deployed for no reason !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, side airbags deployed for no reason ! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So... this morning i waa driving to school, as usually. And a strange thing happened, when i was making a ...
    minde360 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

side airbags deployed for no reason !

So... this morning i waa driving to school, as usually. And a strange thing happened, when i was making a turn the side airbags deployed, for no reason i was going like 20km/h or less... has this ever happened to anyone? What could be the problem? Latter i will post a photo

index.jpeg

index.jpeg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Re: side airbags deployed for no reason !

wow that would scare the sh!t out of me, haven't heard of this before and I hope it's not a common problem

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

What the heck? Glad you're ok. Would have spooked me pretty good.

That's very interesting the passenger airbag deployed but not the drivers...hmm so it wasn't like the car fooled itself into believing that you crashed well it shouldn't any ways especially if you were alone the passenger airbag should be disabled. Hmm, might be worth checking if the airbag harness to the passenger side is sound connection wise. Something is up with that I say.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    In a side impact crash, normally only the side that got hit has the air bags deployed.

So here's a question for the OP. Is there any damage on the passenger side from an accident? Whether it happened a couple days ago or months ago?

Then are there any aftermarket antennas in the windshield? Such as for a remote starter?

KOT

It wasnt the passanger airbag that had deployed, the side airbags near the roof

Quote Originally Posted by minde360 View Post
    It wasnt the passanger airbag that had deployed, the side airbags near the roof
    Ok, which ones? The 03 to 07 CTS has 8 airbags.

The driver and passenger frontal impact. Driver located in the steering wheel, passenger located in the dashboard. Then there are three for each side for side impact. Drivers are located in the A pillar, B pillar and C pillar. Same with passenger but on that side.

The frontal will only go off from a frontal crash, driver will all the time. But passenger will only with a passenger in the seat. For side impacts, the driver will go off all the time. But passenger, I don't know. I would assume so since there isn't a passenger sensor for rear compartment passengers.

KOT

I updated the thread with a photo , the airbags that deployed on the photo are called- "curtain airbag" , just this ones ..

On what side?

And correction, 10 air bags. I keep on forgetting the one's located in the front seats.

KOT

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    On what side?

And correction, 10 air bags. I keep on forgetting the one's located in the front seats.

KOT
    damn that's a lot of air bags, kinda make wanna have an accident

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by minde360 View Post
    And a strange thing happened, when i was making a turn the side airbags deployed, for no reason i was going like 20km/h or less... has this ever happened to anyone? What could be the problem?
    I haven't heard of it happening to a CTS specifically (although I imagine you're not the first), but I have read stories online of airbags deploying without an impact. Just like any system or component, there can be failures - you were just unlucky enough to be in the tiny percentage of cars that has an inadvertent airbag deployment. Here's an example of a V2 that had it happen at an auto-x.

I'm curious what it'll cost to repair - I'm guessing it's not cheap to replace it. I would take it to a dealer to get an estimate, and then I would go straight to GM to try to get them to cover the cost of repair. Explain the circumstances, emphasize how dangerous this could have been, show the accident history of the vehicle (if you know it), pictures that show the airbags deployed and show the car has no impact damage that would have caused them to deploy, etc etc.

(PS - Feel free to fill in the rest of your profile so we know what model/year/engine/etc you've got and where you're located. All of that isn't necessarily needed for this case, but it can come in handy if you have questions in the future.)
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

both sides, back and front

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.