I think a V6 is a good idea for Cadillac - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, I think a V6 is a good idea for Cadillac in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; The I6 in the trailblazer would be perfect. Cadillac is beginning to put displacemnt on demand, not on any current ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    The I6 in the trailblazer would be perfect.

Cadillac is beginning to put displacemnt on demand, not on any current engines, but later ones. Which ones, couldnt tell you that.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    A V-6 in a Cadillac? These are callad luxury cars for a reason! And the V-8 is a large part of that reason. The luxury of power on demand, When you need it! The rest of the time you pay a small premium for the LUXURY of it being there when you need or want it! A V-6 is working harder to pull the same car the same distance. It WILL wear out faster and you lose the LUXURY of long engine life! These cars are not built so that some guy that's worried about whether he can afford to pay the gas can look "BIG TIME" to his idiot friends! If you can not afford a LUXURY car....DO NOT BUY ONE! But don't ask that they cheapen the brand so that people without money can afford them! They Can't!!! THAT"S why they're LUXURY cars! It's a LUXURY that comes with success if you work hard and all goes well.....Then you too can afford to own a true luxury car. They make Cheesey Chevys, Buicks and Oldsmobiles with V-6's for those who want the nominal fuel savings combined with the lack of power associated with that choice. I do not think we need to repeat the debacle of crappy engines that we all had to deal with in the '80s and CHEAPEN the nameplate so that people that really can't afford them will buy them anyway!....Oh! I'm sorry, Do I sound like a snob? Too bad! I drive a luxury car 'cause I want and can afford luxury and I don't want to change because somebody else feels left out! That's how I feel about it! A V-6 In a Cadillac? NOT! In My garage!!

That is all true, fine and dandy, but ultimately its going to be what the market wants. If they want 6cy caddys, then that is what they will get. I would think that most people would want to get the 8cy, and most likely the dealer would push people to get the 8cy.

Yes, That's true! I find it interesting that we push the standards down....Then we're upset because standards are so low. I could see a reason to put an Inline 6 in a cadillac if it was shown to live up to the power requirements for a car this size/weight. Inline 6's tend to be torque monsters and that's a good thing and they can easily be made to perform remarkably well. V-6's on the other hand tend to be lacking in both torque and low end power making them unacceptable in my opinion for the performance required for a decent luxury car application.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    Oh! I'm sorry, Do I sound like a snob? Too bad! I drive a luxury car 'cause I want and can afford luxury and I don't want to change because somebody else feels left out! That's how I feel about it! A V-6 In a Cadillac? NOT! In My garage!!
    A snob would say that America and Cadillac built it's last real luxury car before WWII. A snob looks at a front wheel drive car as something his maid drives. A snob would look down on the lowly V8 as something the middle class people purchase. Snobs beleive that only a 12 cylinder is worthy of a true luxury car.

No, snob wasn't the word I was seeking.

Having been born quite a while after WWII I never had the chance to own or drive any of the fabulous cars that were around in those days. I only have the more recent past to draw from. I have driven V-12 Jaguars and I really like the feel and the power and would truly love it if we had something like that in the Cadillac line. I have for some time here been on record as only being interested in American vehicles Particularly Cadillacs and Harley Davidsons. Since Cadillac does not currently offer a V-12 I must be snobbish about the lowly V-8. I just can't see lowering the standards of an otherwise fine car with the gutless V-6. The V-6 is in my opinion the only real problem with the CTS other than the interior being a little cramped!

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    i think finely tuned v6/i6 will be appropriate for the cts. However, current v6 in the cts seems like nothing but disgrace to me (maybe they should put the 4.4l 300hp north* from the gxp concept.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    an I6 would be good but still if there was a V8 option I'd check that box. there's just kinda something wrong with a caddy with less than 8 slugs

I agree too, its like having a honda without a 4 banger!!

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    yeah like that too

My thought is that a 6CY would be pointless, because it would either a) be not powerful enough and wear out quick, B) Be powerful enough (and would probably require premium), but consume as much fuel as the 8cy, or C) a combination thereof.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    but are we even sure that the CTS is a pure luxury car? I view it more as a sporty midsize sedan with many ammenities. The 3-series, Audis, G35, and others don't have 8 cylinders under the hood but they are luxurious in nature. Maybe what we are want is a base CTS with a V8 sort of as the car that sticks out. But wait until the v-series hits the pavement. Then the M3 will raise an eyebrow, and the G35 Coupe and Audi S4 will be crying home to mama.

I hope that's the case! Although it's hard for me to get my arms around the idea of a sporty midsize sedan from a company like Cadillac! I will concede that I thought the Seville was a bad idea when they were first introduced. It took me a few years to accept them and now they're my favorite model. The V-6 is just too much though, Makes me think of that reworked Cavalier ( Can't even speak the name!) that they tried to pass off as a Cadillac in the '80s. The CTS is way too cramped inside to EVER be considered a pure luxury car and therein lies the problem. Cadillac is a luxury car and has some great luxury/performance models out there. The CTS seems to be a little far from the fray to qualify as either one.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    Cadillac is a luxury car and has some great luxury/performance models out there. The CTS seems to be a little far from the fray to qualify as either one.
    The CTS is pretty much smack in the middle of the current luxury car fray.

By these numbers, it would appear that the majority of luxury car buyers in the USA prefer the entry level 6 cylinder sedans.

Jan 2003
    Acura
    TL................................................ 3,279
    RL (I)........................................... 558

Audi
    A4 (I)........................................... 3,152
    A6/100 (I).................................... 1,377
    A8 (I)........................................... 135

BMW
    3 series (I) ................................. 8,389
    5 series (I) ................................. 2,809
    7 series (I) ................................. 1,744

Cadillac
    CTS ............................................. 2,816
    DeVille ......................................... 5,940
    Seville.......................................... 2,387

Infiniti
    G35 (I)......................................... 4,743
    I30/I35 (I).................................... 1,170
    M45 (I)........................................ 320
    Q45 (I)......................................... 234

Jaguar
    X-Type (I) .................................... 1,673
    S-Type (I) .................................... 1,202
    XJ (I) .......................................... 439

Lexus
    ES 300 (I).................................... 4,526
    GS 300 (I) ................................... 738
    GS 430 (I) ................................... 167
    LS 430 (I).................................... 1,535

Lincoln
    LS................................................ 3,205
    Town Car ..................................... 3,605

Merceded Benz
    C class (I) ................................... 4,613
    E class (I) ................................... 4,513
    S class (I) ................................... 1,824

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Go sit in a CTS with a manual tranny. VERY VERY nice. I was at a Cadillac dealer in the Norfolk area and I begged the guy to let me drive it, but that was their only manual-equipped CTS and he wasn't going to pull it out of the showroom for a casual test drive. He said they couldn't keep their hands on these cars -- they're sold before they even sit a week!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.