100K Maintenance Suggestions for an '07 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By mattt0305
  • 3 Post By cswimc
  • 1 Post By Kingoftypos
  • 1 Post By mattt0305
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 100K Maintenance Suggestions for an '07 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So, I've reached the 100k mark this month and it's time to think about normal maintenance. Recently I got a ...
    cswimc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Sports Sedan

100K Maintenance Suggestions for an '07 CTS

So, I've reached the 100k mark this month and it's time to think about normal maintenance. Recently I got a check engine light that turned on and off on its own a few times, but has decided to stay on now. The error code indicates the engine is misfiring and I've determined that it's most likely the spark plugs. I got a quote from the dealership for $700 to change the spark plugs but I think that is excessive. Does anyone have any idea the normal cost of this? Also, what other things should I have them check out being that I'm just over 100k?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Re: 100K Maintenance Suggestions for an '07 CTS

I did my plugs for the cost of the plugs. Ac delco like 18 bucks. Look in FAQ there's a writeup on how to do it. Have to take loose the intake manifold. I can't fathom how they could justify 700 dollars for that.
    CTSjones and SHORTSTACK like this.

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    700 is excessive considering a good mechanic could have it done in an hour. If youve done all the pre-100k maintenance: coolant flush, trans flush and filter, power steering flush, cabin/air filter, fuel filter/ fuel system flush, diff flush, there shouldnt be much to do. Plugs would be the best place to start. Then swap coils until you find the cylinder misfiring. thats if the plugs dont do the trick.

UPDATE:

After getting quotes for $700 and $300 give or take from a local shop, I went to Advanced Auto Parts with a friend (who is a skilled hobbyist that flips cars), shelled out $18 for 6 Double Platinum spark plugs and spent the morning replacing them. It took a few hours and we were able to follow the guide from the sticky post - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ug-change.html - and changed them all out.

Here was the culprit - spark plug from Cylinder 2 - that was misfiring (see pic)
    WP_20140118_12_29_24_Pro.jpg
    (removing the spark plug)

WP_20140118_12_30_04_Pro.jpg
    Faulty spark plug that was misfiring

Since changing it out I drove 60+ miles with no check engine lights coming back on (we reset the obd2 codes with a scanner), and the car ran smoothly with no hesitations, vibrations, jerking, or anything. All in all I believe the problem is solved, and for a mere $18!
    CTSjones, s_tharsan and mattt0305 like this.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Nice job. But how the heck did you buy 6 plugs for $18?

They are normally $5 to 7 each.

KOT
    s_tharsan likes this.

Advanced Auto Parts had them on sale. I placed the order online for in store pickup and applied a discount code I found online. The total was actually $19.08 (off the top of my head I though it was 18 :-X)

Here is the receipt:
    WP_20140118_23_09_59_Pro (1).jpg

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Advance always has crazy coupons like 20% or $10 off $40 etc. I always check retail me not before I go. Feels good saving $680 dollars lol.
    concorso likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.