Ran my 3.6 hard. Then ran my sister's 3.2 hard. a few ?'s...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Ran my 3.6 hard. Then ran my sister's 3.2 hard. a few ?'s... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Feedback would be appreciated. A couple questions... I found a new back road coming home from work, I could see ...
    AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Ran my 3.6 hard. Then ran my sister's 3.2 hard. a few ?'s...

Feedback would be appreciated. A couple questions...

I found a new back road coming home from work, I could see for quite a few miles, but yet there were lots of twists and fairly long straights. Overall I'm faily satisfied because of the cost of the car, but...
    A few points...

-I had it up to 123 mph, I thought the gov'r kicked in sooner?
    -After repeated hard braking, maybe 4 times from 60 or so, I noticed huge brake fade. I can only imagine what Marine and PJ must go through with thier heavier bigger diameter wheels. Not a cheap shot, as I love big chromies, but you guys must hate the stock brakes with those rims! I'm thinking about a new brake system alot sooner now!
    -I also noticed that after repeated hard driving, the car definitely loses a bit of juice. I think a Volant and ML-V will take car of this, along with the x-pipe and magnaflows.
    -The cows didn't care...

So, when I get home, my sister is over with her new bf (he's older then I am...I don't like that) and I decide to take her 3.2 for a spin, maybe get back to this back area, and try the earlier sports model of the CTS. Well, I didn't get back there, but I did get a little spirited driving in before she called...what I noticed...

-without the stick, it's a lot less fun...but the sport mode is really good, surprisingly. it stayed in the right gear most of the time, and its shifts were very quick and crisp
    -there's engine braking in normal mode too! not just sport mode! I didn't know that...
    -not alot has changed since 2003 for the sport models
    -i like her rims more
    -her brakes fade even more?? is this possible? different brakes?
    -this really surprised me...if i brake-torque, the tach won't go past 2000 rpm, and I can't even chirp the tires, let alone peel out...can't really see the 3.2 having as much power...is this normal? should I not be able to light the tires up a bit? I know in my 4 spd auto fwd Buick Regal with only 200 hp/ 225 lbs-ft, I could chirp the tires all day long from a brake-torque launch...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Ran my 3.6 hard. Then ran my sister's 3.2 hard. a few ?'s...

Do you have the sport package, Azn? That upgrades the brakes and should moderate fade, although I haven't ran it hard enough to find out.

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AznPrydeRegalRyde
    Feedback would be appreciated. -After repeated hard braking, maybe 4 times from 60 or so, I noticed huge brake fade. I can only imagine what Marine and PJ must go through with thier heavier bigger diameter wheels. Not a cheap shot, as I love big chromies, but you guys must hate the stock brakes with those rims! I'm thinking about a new brake system alot sooner now!
    Yo Azn, -didn't think it was cheap shot BTW - But to give a little feed back and info to your post...I don't have that much brake fade as you would anticipate because I don't have stock brakes anymore...I have cross drilled and gas slotted rotors and ceramic pads...and I drive hard..So if you wanna do brakes, unless you do a big brake kit conversion, I think a minor upgrade as mine should do the trick....RobertCTS also has the same brake set up as I...I am also running with a Volant intake and Magnaflow....which takes care of your other issue..Love it..and you will too...I'm doing the MLV exhaust upgrade but just can't seem to get a set of V pipes here in LA.......Oh yeah, I chirp tires all day long in my current set up - without brake-torque launches....

PAW 47 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

I took my CTS out to our local autocross and I felt no brake fade what so ever... But then the car only had 300 miles on it! Only thing I could have done with out was the ABS..I'd rather regulate my brake lock up then for nanny do it for me.

Just my 2 cents.. different pads and a set of performance rotors. Big brake kits and large diamiter wheels sometimes make the issue worse. As it effects rotational mass = less power to the ground.

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AznPrydeRegalRyde
    -After repeated hard braking, maybe 4 times from 60 or so, I noticed huge brake fade. I can only imagine what Marine and PJ must go through with thier heavier bigger diameter wheels.
    I think braking has more to it than what it sounds like. Its all how how you press on that brake. I go from 60 to 0 pretty quick and my brakes dont ware at all. Just take it smooth yet hard kinda weird to explain it but I have always been really good and stopping fast without wearing the pads away.

Quote Originally Posted by ktills45
    Do you have the sport package, Azn? That upgrades the brakes and should moderate fade, although I haven't ran it hard enough to find out.
    Yeah, both cars have the sport package. Mine is fully loaded besides NAV and extra cost paint.

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    I think braking has more to it than what it sounds like. Its all how how you press on that brake. I go from 60 to 0 pretty quick and my brakes dont ware at all. Just take it smooth yet hard kinda weird to explain it but I have always been really good and stopping fast without wearing the pads away.
    I've done a few driving schools, don't worry about my braking ability The key is to brake as hard as you can, but don't cross the line to where ABS cuts in. By the way, Marine, I bet you don't have a problem with brake dust now hey?

It's not the brake wear thats the problem, its fading. I found they got really squishy after 4 hard stops.
    The first stop was great, it did really bite, and the 2nd too. But the 3rd wasn't so good, and the 4th felt like I was back in my Regal.

Can someone with a 3.2L auto chime in? Can you get your tires to chirp by brake torqueing? Will it rev past 2000 rpm?

BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

Well, I have the 3.2L manual but I'll chime in anyway.

I am not surprised that the 3.2L slushbox will not brake torque. The 3.2L does not have a lot of low end power. IMO, it really doesn't make good power until 4000 RPM.

I have driven the 3.6/Auto combo a few times and I can definetely feel a lot more low and mid range power. And the thing really pulls in 2nd second gear. Strangely, it does feel like the computer is limiting power in 1st gear on the 3.6 /auto.

The 3.2 manual will easily do a smokey burnout if you tach it up on launch. Watch out for that wheel hop though.

Before anyone gets excited I am NOT saying the 3.2 is faster than the 3.6. I would love to have a 3.6 / manual as I am sure it rocks.

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMalibu
    Well, I have the 3.2L manual but I'll chime in anyway.

I am not surprised that the 3.2L slushbox will not brake torque. The 3.2L does not have a lot of low end power. IMO, it really doesn't make good power until 4000 RPM.

I have driven the 3.6/Auto combo a few times and I can definetely feel a lot more low and mid range power. And the thing really pulls in 2nd second gear. Strangely, it does feel like the computer is limiting power in 1st gear on the 3.6 /auto.

The 3.2 manual will easily do a smokey burnout if you tach it up on launch. Watch out for that wheel hop though.

Before anyone gets excited I am NOT saying the 3.2 is faster than the 3.6. I would love to have a 3.6 / manual as I am sure it rocks.
    You wheel hop also?

Sigma is a nice platform, but it's hell to get going. Mine bangs around like the bass drummer in the marching band when I let it fly with off.

iconic is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can't speak for a 3.2 auto, but my 3.6 auto certainly lets me make smoke whenever i feel like it.. long as TC is off.

Also, your car may have a governor, or it might not at all. Mine didn't until the transmission in it dropped, prior to that I had gotten it up to around 143ish. Once I got it back from the dealer after 3 weeks there was a 125 governor.

Stag is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnesq
    .......Oh yeah, I chirp tires all day long in my current set up - without brake-torque launches....
    We now have proof that you were speeding mister...pull it over and hand ME the keys!!

TCSisOFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 3.2 auto and besides the normal brake fade with 20" rims, I have no problems or concerns about my brake system. Keep in mind, this is NOT a sports car, its a sporty sedan.

On another note, try racing your sister side by side and let me know what happens.
    Every 3.6 I've come across ends up in my rear view mirror. I'm currently investigating this strange phenomenon, but I'll keep ya'll posted. I have a dyno day scheduled for July 15 and I'm anxious as to what kind of wheel hp the 3.2 auto, in sport mode, puts down.

cvelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TCSisOFF
    I have a 3.2 auto and besides the normal brake fade with 20" rims, I have no problems or concerns about my brake system. Keep in mind, this is NOT a sports car, its a sporty sedan.

On another note, try racing your sister side by side and let me know what happens.
    Every 3.6 I've come across ends up in my rear view mirror. I'm currently investigating this strange phenomenon, but I'll keep ya'll posted. I have a dyno day scheduled for July 15 and I'm anxious as to what kind of wheel hp the 3.2 auto, in sport mode, puts down.
    Not to sound arrogant, or to "flame" as its put in the forum, but perhaps the 3.6 drivers that you race, aren't racing back. My neighbor a few doors down has a 3.2, and I am never in his rearview mirror. I would say my driving skills are way above average, and even driving a 3.2, I can't pull away from my '05 3.6 On a further note, my '05 BMW 530i w/ steptronic EASILY pulls away from the 3.2, it's never even close. Maybe you have a 3.2 "V" or just a one of a kind.

TCSisOFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.