Tire Balance Problem?........
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Tire Balance Problem?........ in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just switched out the stock wheels and tires for 18" American Racing spokes and Sumi rain tires (I live ...
    J.E.T. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Tire Balance Problem?........

I just switched out the stock wheels and tires for 18" American Racing spokes and Sumi rain tires (I live in FL). Up to about 80 mph it's smooth as glass. After that speed I'm getting some vibration, probably from the rear as the steering wheel is rock solid. I've taken it back in twice and the shop said they've got the rears down to .10, the best they can do. The salesman did offer to give me back my money and mount my original tires and wheels back on if I was still not satisfied. I dunno, I like the new tires and rims and want to keep them, should I give another shop a shot a balancing these out? I know that the guy on the machine makes all the difference when it comes to balancing tires. I believe the shop I used has the FVB machines but never could get into their back room area as they keep it closed off to the public.

JET

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TCSisOFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Tire Balance Problem?........

I ran in to the same problem but with different rims, 20" to be exact.
    I'm not so sure there isn't something othere than the wheel balance playing in to this somehow.
    After 2 balancing sessions, still getting vibration at 80 + mph!

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Go to a tire shop or dealer with a Hunter Balancing machine. The mounted tire is loaded and spun up. The machine can detect a bad cord or other internal defect that would be nearly impossible to find using a conventional spin balance machine.

http://www.gsp9700.com/ click on "find a gsp9700" to find a location near you. They claim if vibration exists after using their equipment it is not in the wheel / tire.

My factory mounted 17" tires are rock steady at 100 mph, no hint of vibration after 8500 miles. Don't put up with annoying vibrations.

MCD40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I get this vibration at 75mph+ and I'm on the stock 16's w/ Eagle RS-A's, I haven't changed a thing.

TCSisOFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

OK, just learned this today, but the CTS is very VERY sensative to lug pattern specs.
    Sometimes the wheel shop might fit 5x114.3's on there when it should be 5x115
    THEY WILL FIT! The problem is that they don't "sit" 100% flush on the hub causing a vibration around 80MPH.
    Take a closer look at the lug pattern to possibly solve this issue.

Smokin' 04 CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior

Quote Originally Posted by TCSisOFF
    OK, just learned this today, but the CTS is very VERY sensative to lug pattern specs.
    Sometimes the wheel shop might fit 5x114.3's on there when it should be 5x115
    THEY WILL FIT! The problem is that they don't "sit" 100% flush on the hub causing a vibration around 80MPH.
    Take a closer look at the lug pattern to possibly solve this issue.
    So is the CTS 5X114.3 or 5X115?

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' 04 CTS
    So is the CTS 5X114.3 or 5X115?
    The CTS is 5x115

When I first drove onto the interstate after leaving the store for the very first time the front end shook VERY bad around 80 mph. I took the very first exit and went back. The salesman took the car into the back and when he brought it back he said that this particular model rim need some type of shim to accomodate this particular car. The front end vibration was gone but I still noticed the rear. When I came back the second time one of the kids who does the balancing came to me and said he couldn't figure out the problem so I took him for a ride. He immediately said "it's the right rear". So......he worked on the rears and brought it out about an hour later. I had to get home but still didn't like the over 80 mph "feel". I dunno, think I'll take 'em back........

JET

BozzMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

make sure they are 5x115 and make sure they have the correct hub centric rings. there should never be any type of spacer/adapter between the wheel and the hub. the wheel should always rest against the hub, nothing in between.

Bozz,

I just visited American Racing's website and saw that the model I have (388) is 5x115&45mm. It mentions an "off-set" also. Could this be the problem?..........

JET

45 mm offset is the distance between the back surface of the center of the wheel and the back edge of the wheel lip. that is fine. most aftermarket wheels use a hub centric ring that lines up the wheel concentrically with the hub. these hub centric rings are interchangeable depending upon the vehicle that the wheel is put on, if left off, there could be a balance issue. that is why even though 5x114.3's might fit, they are not recommended.

So Bozz, think I should get rid of them or not? The salesman said there was some type of spacer needed for these to work on the CTS. He said it was "paper thin" but absolutely necessary.

JET

if they can't fix the problem i'd get rid of them. there are plenty of other nice wheels out there for the taking. will they give you a refund?

Slapshot70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is bad news ... just had 18" 5x14.3 put on mine last weekend. I was assured they would fit - no problem. Right after they put them on, drove a few miles, got a bad vibration at 55mph. Brought it back, they said hub centric rings woud fix it, but had to order them. Had those put on Wednesday, now the vibration dosen't start until 70-75mph. I was hoping it just needed to be rebalanced...

I'll give a rebalance a shot. If that dosen't work I'm going to try to get my $$$ back. Any vibration in a Caddy is unacceptable!!

I agree, think I'm going to just take 'em back and try something else.........from another source this time. This place is just huge and they move TONS of wheels and tires on a daily basis. I like dealing with a smaller store where I can see what's going on in the backroom. Can anyone suggest a different brand rim/tire combo that they've had good luck with? I need a rain tire.........LMK.

JET

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.