Traction Engaged coming on in dry conditions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Traction Engaged coming on in dry conditions in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey everyone, need a little help. I recently had snow tires put on my 07 2.8 CTS. Ever since, I've ...
    harporu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Traction Engaged coming on in dry conditions

Hey everyone, need a little help. I recently had snow tires put on my 07 2.8 CTS. Ever since, I've been getting the Traction Engaged warning showing up on my DIC at random times. And when it does come on, it seems like it doesn't want to shift properly. And I must add that it will come on in totally dry conditions! Any help is appreciated. Thanks !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Traction Engaged coming on in dry conditions

What are the sizes of All four tires? Please post your answers for each one.

KOT

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by harporu View Post
    Hey everyone, need a little help. I recently had snow tires put on my 07 2.8 CTS. Ever since, I've been getting the Traction Engaged warning showing up on my DIC at random times. And when it does come on, it seems like it doesn't want to shift properly. And I must add that it will come on in totally dry conditions! Any help is appreciated. Thanks !
    Hello harporu,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your traction control engaging at random times after you had snow tired put on your vehicle. Are you planning on taking your CTS to a dealership to look further into this concern? I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment to look further into this, please feel free to private message me.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos
    What are the sizes of All four tires? Please post your answers for each one. KOT
    KOT, thanks for the reply. My two fronts are 225/55/16, the two snow tires are 225/50/16. Will the extra width really matter? Thanks again!

Extra width no. But you have the same width. However, you do have extra sidewall. Meaning your 225/55R16 are larger in diameter. And that is why your receiving the traction engage problems. If I recall correctly, the 225/55R16 is correct. It's the 225/50R16 that is too small.

KOT

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Back wheel is rotating more times than the front due to the smaller diameter, that's why TC is engaging.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by curtc
    Back wheel is rotating more times than the front due to the smaller diameter, that's why TC is engaging.
    Thanks guys for the help. Am I to assume this won't hurt anything?

mattt0305 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Since the rear wheels are turning faster it thinks they're slipping or spinning so it reducing your ability to accelerate which could be dangerous when you go to pass or merge.

It may, because the way that traction control works. It basically applies the brakes to the wheel(s) that's spinning. Or in your case the one that the car thinks that is spinning.

However, get into the habit if disabling the Traction Control. Button is located in the glove box. Or you can program it onto one of the buttons on the steering wheel or radio.

Or better yet, get proper size tires.

In the past, you could get away with different size diameter tires. But with all the sensors and what not. Tire sizing does matter.

KOT

The problem here originally is "will the extra width really matter?" I don't know how many people I've met think that the aspect ratio number is the width. I argued with a guy at a tire store behind the counter once about it. The op probably thought he was just getting wider tires not shorter ones. I think it comes from the early days of low aspect tires and they were on like c4 vettes and the tires were like steamrollers compared to everything else. 50% of 225mm is a 112.5mm sidewall height versus 123.76 mm for the 55s. So your fronts are roughly a half inch taller sidewall than the back ones x2 for the top and bottom an inch overall diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by mattt0305
    The problem here originally is "will the extra width really matter?" I don't know how many people I've met think that the aspect ratio number is the width. I argued with a guy at a tire store behind the counter once about it. The op probably thought he was just getting wider tires not shorter ones. I think it comes from the early days of low aspect tires and they were on like c4 vettes and the tires were like steamrollers compared to everything else.
    There's no extra width between the two sets or tires he has. So that shouldn't be a question. The fact is that his snow tires, mounted on the rear, are smaller in diameter just enough that it messes up the computer.

KOT

That's what I was trying to say the quote was from the OP in post #4. 225 is the width 50 or 55 is the percentage of the width that is the sidewall height. His rears are an .88 inch overall diameter smaller. I ran it through a tire diameter calculator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.