Door lock
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Door lock in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have an 04 CTS. The drivers door will not stay closed. It seems that the door lock will not ...
    KBFINGERS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Door lock

I have an 04 CTS. The drivers door will not stay closed. It seems that the door lock will not hold it closed. I'm not sure if its the door lock mechanism or the actuator. I would really appreciate some insight on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    What is the issue at hand? Is the door not able to latch closed? Whether the door lock is up or down? Or is it not able to lock with the door lock down?

KOT

KBFINGERS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Door lock

It wont stay closed weather the lock is up or down. It will close, but you can push it open from the inside fairly easy... The latch seems to be catching onto the stricker pin but it wont hold the door closed.

I would then suggest spraying WD-40 up in there and open close it for a few minutes. Spray some more and try again.

KOT

mstonya610 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Hello
    Were you able to get the door to close? I am having the same issue sprayed it with WD40 and still no luck.

ClassyCaddys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 3.6 2004

^ Use synthetic spray grease. Had same problem only comes up when it gets really cold like -5 celcius and only on some doors fixed it with the synthetic grease.

Factory grease actually turns solid in these cold temps and dont act as grease, use a synthetic compound and the problem is fixed.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyCaddys View Post
    ^ Use synthetic spray grease. Had same problem only comes up when it gets really cold like -5 celcius and only on some doors fixed it with the synthetic grease.

Factory grease actually turns solid in these cold temps and dont act as grease, use a synthetic compound and the problem is fixed.
    FYI, the CTS engine block heater doesnt turn on until its -18 celsius. -5 celsius is refreshing. Have never had a problem with teh factory grease in -20 degrees. Really cold is in the Dakotas and Alberta and Alaska, etc, where you have to keep the car plugged into the engine block heater while shopping at a mall, or it wont turn back on.

ClassyCaddys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 3.6 2004

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    FYI, the CTS engine block heater doesnt turn on until its -18 celsius. -5 celsius is refreshing. Have never had a problem with teh factory grease in -20 degrees. Really cold is in the Dakotas and Alberta and Alaska, etc, where you have to keep the car plugged into the engine block heater while shopping at a mall, or it wont turn back on.
    We are talking about the door latches .................... but good info i guess..

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyCaddys View Post
    We are talking about the door latches .................... but good info i guess..
    Im aware of that, which is why I said Ive never had a problem with the factory grease. My point is that the car is designed to open, turn on and run well, in temps much colder then -5 celcius. If the latch isnt working, I have a hard time believing its because the grease has gotten too hard. If that was the case, it would have been an issue for most Canadians during the past 10 years this car has been on the road...
    Kingoftypos likes this.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

We have problems with the CTS doors in the winter believe me !!!!!

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Where did you read that the block heater doesn't turn on until it is -18 C?
    Owner's manual states:
    "In very cold weather, 0°F (-18°C) or colder, the engine coolant heater can help. You’ll get easier starting and
    better fuel economy during engine warm-up. Usually, the coolant heater should be plugged in a minimum of four
    hours prior to starting your vehicle. At temperatures above 32°F (0°C), use of the coolant heater is not
    required."
    Here they are giving advice when to use it. Not that it won't work at temperatures above -18 C.

CaptSoloNJ is online now Cadillac Owners Member

During the Polar Vortex in the previous weeks, other cars as well as the CTS had the freezing latch problem.

My CTS also had a couple of frozen latches after door opening. In one case I used a hair dryer blow heat for about 5 minutes, which unfroze it. I also used a silicone lube spray into it. (WD- 40 makes a silicone spray also.)

I have since found that when the temperatures are warm, spray wd-40 to clean it (water displacement).
    Lock de-icer spray can also work, I am told. This gets rid of any moisture, and then finish with silicone spray. I will follow-up to report on this when the temps get real low again.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I wish they would have used the same locks on the CTS as on my DTS never a problem with the DTS, I always use touch less car washes both freeze up next day. DTS no problem CTS nightmare especially back door latches. Tried synthetic oil all kinds of things, so far the best is lithium spray grease. Might have to get a heated garage.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSoloNJ View Post
    During the Polar Vortex in the previous weeks, other cars as well as the CTS had the freezing latch problem.

My CTS also had a couple of frozen latches after door opening. In one case I used a hair dryer blow heat for about 5 minutes, which unfroze it. I also used a silicone lube spray into it. (WD- 40 makes a silicone spray also.)

I have since found that when the temperatures are warm, spray wd-40 to clean it (water displacement).
    Lock de-icer spray can also work, I am told. This gets rid of any moisture, and then finish with silicone spray. I will follow-up to report on this when the temps get real low again.
    The Polar Vortex made everywhere much colder then average, I get that. Im not sure it matters here,tho. -5 Celcius is an average temperature for most of Canada during the winter. Over the past couple weeks, Ive seen -20 Celcius without windchill. Ive had a CTS for approx. 10 straight winters now, and have yet to have the frozen door lock issue. If there was a problem with the capability of the factory grease, it should have happened during any one of the hundreds of days my CTS has seen colder then -5. If locks are freezing, its not the capabilities of the grease thats the problem. The grease could be dirty, there could be ice forming over/in the locks, etc...

Is it possible that the country of destination determine the type of grease used? Possible, but not practical.

Unless there's a huge cost difference between a normal grease and grease that will be able to handle the extreme cold. Then I wouldn't blame GM for putting cheap grease in cars going to a warmer climate compared to colder climates.

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.