Door lock - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Door lock in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by concorso The Polar Vortex made everywhere much colder then average, I get that. Im not sure it ...
    ClassyCaddys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 3.6 2004

Re: Door lock

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    The Polar Vortex made everywhere much colder then average, I get that. Im not sure it matters here,tho. -5 Celcius is an average temperature for most of Canada during the winter. Over the past couple weeks, Ive seen -20 Celcius without windchill. Ive had a CTS for approx. 10 straight winters now, and have yet to have the frozen door lock issue. If there was a problem with the capability of the factory grease, it should have happened during any one of the hundreds of days my CTS has seen colder then -5. If locks are freezing, its not the capabilities of the grease thats the problem. The grease could be dirty, there could be ice forming over/in the locks, etc...

When I said -5 I didn't mean that exact temperature I am just saying in the negative degrees one of the door latches always doesn't engage properly until warmed up maybe you got lucky but it is a known problem a lot of Cts owners have it and if you noticed like 7 new threads came up about the doors not working when the polar vertex happened ( or whatever is called )

----------

We shouldn't waste any time arguing 99% it's the grease lets see if the person reports back and if it's not the grease we will help accordingly

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    It's more than likely a bad door latch. The arm that comes over the check arm to latch may have just worn out. You can use a flat blade screw driver to operate the latch manually so you can se exactly what isn't working.

CaptSoloNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Re: Door lock

After another 2 weeks of sub-freezing temperatures, I can report that after cleaning out the latches with WD-40 and then lubricating with a silicone spray, the latches are staying in operative condition even at single digit Fahrenheit degrees.

It is never a single reason for the latches freezing. A combination of lock/latch design, the grease can hold dirt and moisture differently, water drainage via glass slots, and the wind directions where you park outside will clog up the latch fittings and moving parts.

I believe that I have solved my own situation for now.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.