V6/Auto to V8/T-56 Swap Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, V6/Auto to V8/T-56 Swap Questions in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi All, I've come across a high mileage CTS Sport/Luxury sedan with a blown head gasket. I'm told that this ...
    zachm89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

V6/Auto to V8/T-56 Swap Questions

Hi All,

I've come across a high mileage CTS Sport/Luxury sedan with a blown head gasket. I'm told that this is the only thing wrong with the car, but who knows. My thoughts however are to purchase the car, remove the motor and transmission and drop in a low mileage 6.0L and T-56 combo and still come out of the whole thing with a killer deal. My questions are, is this a fairly simple swap as it would be in an LS based truck or camaro or are there certain things that I should be aware of before trying to tackle this project? I've done engine and trans swaps before and am mechanically inclined, just wanted to make sure there weren't any hiccups when working with the Cadillac platform. Thanks for any and all responses!

Zach

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k
    The electrical system will be your biggest hurdle as none of the engine management software will mate up with the new motor and trans. I would venture to guess it'll be more work and money than it's worth. There was a thread here a while back from someone attempting to turn their non-V CTS into a V and from reading the posts it didn't sound like a smooth transition whatsoever.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Oefootball_70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS
    Search YouTube. There is a guy that did a LS1 into an 03 CTS. It's pretty slick. I have been wondering the same thing. I it is a possibility. Idk if it's something that can be hooked up to the current electrical and tuned to the new motor or not.

I know with my dodge, a guy swapped the 5.7 into a 4.7 truck with same harness and jut tuned the computer to work with the old electrical.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Save yourself the many headaches and find a different platform to play with. Just my .02 cents

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

Re: V6/Auto to V8/T-56 Swap Questions

with enough money - anything is possible.

me, I'd rebuild the V6 and turbo or supercharge it.

zachm89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the input and responses. I posted this over on cadillacowners forum as well and am awaiting more info there. I can see where the electrical system would be the largest obsticle. I can't imagine that it would be much different than taking an original V6 truck and swapping over to a V8 motor and harness but then again it could be a completely different ball game. My biggest interest in the car is the low price that it can be had for and with my knowledge and background with LS based platforms I figured it might not be too bad. I'll keep checking back for more info and keep researching before I pull the trigger on anything.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

As you said trust me it's a much different ball game. If I were you and I were determined, I would swap the diff and transmission and install a custom turbo system on that engine and then win. That way with some minor tuning all would be good and you would end up with a hella-fast CTS trust me.

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Take a look at the LY7 Saab turbo. The block is the same as the standard 3.6 with stronger heads and factory turbo. This would be a better match up I think. There are threads out there discussing this, take a look in teh Saab forum for guys using 3.6 blocks and mating them to the 2.8 turbo heads.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    As you said trust me it's a much different ball game. If I were you and I were determined, I would swap the diff and transmission and install a custom turbo system on that engine and then win. That way with some minor tuning all would be good and you would end up with a hella-fast CTS trust me.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by zachm89 View Post
    Hi All,

I've come across a high mileage CTS Sport/Luxury sedan with a blown head gasket. I'm told that this is the only thing wrong with the car, but who knows. My thoughts however are to purchase the car, remove the motor and transmission and drop in a low mileage 6.0L and T-56 combo and still come out of the whole thing with a killer deal. My questions are, is this a fairly simple swap as it would be in an LS based truck or camaro or are there certain things that I should be aware of before trying to tackle this project? I've done engine and trans swaps before and am mechanically inclined, just wanted to make sure there weren't any hiccups when working with the Cadillac platform. Thanks for any and all responses!

Zach
    Did you read the build thread by D-Rokk? Thats a great place to start...

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Did you read the build thread by D-Rokk? Thats a great place to start...
    Or maybe not

agp
    agp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Ex-CTS owner

Just sell your CTS and buy a V. It will cost you less money and you'll get more car than dropping a new engine in it.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    Just sell your CTS and buy a V. It will cost you less money and you'll get more car than dropping a new engine in it.
    He doesn't own it, yet if you have experience in swaps then I say go ahead..it could be a fun project..d-rokk was in highschool and I believe the cts swap he did was his first true motor swap. Me personally, id just opt for an actual v though.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    Or maybe not
    He got it working, and along the way unearthed some gremlins and figured out how to fix most of them. When it comes to diy projects, other peoples successes and mistakes will help you out alot.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    He got it working, and along the way unearthed some gremlins and figured out how to fix most of them. When it comes to diy projects, other peoples successes and mistakes will help you out alot.
    Yes he did, but I don't think there was much to learn from D-rokk's that most people don't know about general powertrain swaps. He went into it with so much enthusiasm and ignored all warnings and told people he was going to make it work, I said to myself that's something I will applaud greatly this just might pull this off. So he swapped the engine and transmission, ended up spending most of his work fixing the broken transmission (or the transmission he broke can't recall which was the fact but anywho it's besides the point of the main goal just a detail specific to his case) and the part where he was arguing with that silly mechanic he hired which wasted almost all of the thread focus but fine.

He did nothing that was not done before as far as I'm concerned plenty of people have in fact swapped engines and or transmissions out of this car. Plenty of people already know how to do that he swapped the transmission, drive shaft and rear axle nothing ground breaking there good info sure.

The most important part of the swap if you ask me is what he gave up on and immediately and then right away started talking about how he would like to get a Dodge Charger and start working on that instead.

Those gremlins dear sir that he gave up on are where ALL the learning was supposed to be. That's what everyone was really really curious about how to get around.

Anyone can muster the time and strength to pull an engine out, a transmission, a driveshaft and an axle and subframe, but those electronic gremlins are what everyone has in the back of his head as a major obstacle to tackle in a powertrain swap on these cars.

Look at wayne powel's video, now that sir is how electronic gremlins are tackeled, with knoweldgee and documentation. This style of info will not come from a courageous yet not wise adventure like D-Rokk's

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    Couldnt have said it better myself..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.