Transmission Cooler Install Fully Documented
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By holsgo
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Cooler Install Fully Documented in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Transmission Cooler abandon, and aftermarket replacement. Reasons: 1.) Numerous post on transmission failure. 2.) Play in existing connection points to ...
    briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Post Transmission Cooler Install Fully Documented

Transmission Cooler abandon, and aftermarket replacement.

Reasons:

1.) Numerous post on transmission failure.
    2.) Play in existing connection points to radiator
    3.) Aluminum fittings, with very tight thread combined with the need for special tools made it prone to post install failure.

Reference Threads here, here , and here

Parts Used
    B&M 70266 Cooler LINK
    - based on reports of the 70264 upsizing seemed like a good idea
    - clamp on fittings didn't seem like much of an improvement over the stock condition
    - fin constructions on this cooler is pretty durable.

42" 3/8" Custom hose with fittings LINK
    - see my hose clamp comment above. I wanted durable fittings which would not fail
    - threaded industrial strength pipe fittings
    - note hose selections can limit the use of synthetic fluid.
    - there was a thread which noted 1/2" lines were required but I opted not to play with the fluid dynamics of the oem 3/8" hose.

Modified alum cooler lines
    - no hose clamps, welded threaded fittings 1/2" below 3/8" taper
    - had this done at my local hydrolics hose shop for $130 bucks including the 42" lines above.

Since the install we've logged a total of 3,000 plus miles which involved driving through west Texas during a 30 degree ice storm (really !?!?). Even though we drove through the freezing weather which included cold morning starts the shifting is superb. My wife thinks it runs better but it maybe a placebo effect. No leaks, and otherwise I am really happy. I think my total investment was about $280 which included 9 quarts of oil and a new filter. Since the new cooler is bigger you will need to add an extra quart to the total drain and refill amount. One side note a few people have commented on the torx screws, keep in mind once you insert the tool give it alittle tap with a hammer to make sure it is in all the way. This will reduce the risk of reaming out the bolt.

COOLER LINE REMOVAL

Here is the old connection, you can see there is a little radiator fluid leaking. The hose is an insert which uses an 'o' ring for sealing. Surprisingly it has about 1mm of play in and out even when tightened. If you do reuse your fittings I recommend strongly to get the oem tool to tighten this fitting.

Here is the alum cooler lines at the transmission

Here is the taper from 1/2" to 3/8" and the 3/8" hose connection below. Even though the aftermarket cooler had 1/2" threaded pipe fittings I opted to copy the oem setup with 3/8" lines

This is the cooler line after removal, There is an intermediate mount next to the altenator in addition to the mount on the transmission. You don't have to bend the piping to pull it out but there is some maneuvering to be done to get it out. I left the radiator fittings in place and cut the tubing. This way if something failed I could always go back to stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Transmission Cooler Install Fully Documented

AFTERMARKET COOLER BRACKET FABRICATION

I used a 3/32" thick piece of scrap aluminum plate then using a hacksaw and drill cut it to size.
    Here is my desired mounting location. The two braces for the hood lock assy makes a perfect location for sandwiching the custom bracket.

Test fit, all the holes were positioned in place. Which made it pretty simple.

Close up of the mounting point

quick dryfit with the cooler in place. The cooler has decent gaps so radiator and condenser cooling is not affected.

Here is my first cut tapering the bracker down to the width of the cooler. I went with a 45 degree cut to reduce a crack forming at the corner

Cooler mounting holes.

Cooler bracket dimensions, note the breather holes

The B&M suggest using isolaters which makes sense. Here are the fittings

Bracket mounted to cooler with isolaters

The isolaters also help add additional clearance for air to mvoe through the breathing holes in the bracket

Picture showing the 45 degree 1/2" to 3/8" fittings. The cooler uses a tapered thread make sure you read the instructions

HOSE FABRICATION

3/8" Connection to existing cooler lines

Welded Fittings

FINAL ASSEMBLY

Cooler in place with lines attached

Cooler lines pathway

If possible I suggest connecting the cooler lines, to the alum lines first and tightening them then installing the alum lines. I had a hard time tightening the lines while in place since you need to use two wrenches at the same time as not to damage or bend the alum lines.

Here is a lower bracket that I used on the cooler. This actually lines up with an existing mounting point on the radiator.

RCVW is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "Angel Dust" 2004 White Diamond CTS 3.6L-V
    Good stuff...very complete!

Thanks

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Briggy, do you know the capacity of the stock cooler? I think I may do this and want to just add the fluid to the cooler during install since I just did a fluid job on her a bit back.
    Or, basically the amount of fluid added is exactly the capacity of the cooler plus a tad for the lines right?

jackfreeman09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    Thanks
    So I am currently thinking about this mod. I do not want to go to all of the trouble of the custom piping and fittings that the 70266 requires. I was thinking about using the 70268 with the 3/8" fittings. Would this be possible/easier than what you did?

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I believe Briggy just went a step beyond. There are numerous threads that have used either the b and m or a Hayden cooler. You can simply leave the existing cooler lines installed and cut the rubber hoses about and inch back from the quick disconnects. Use a barbed hose coupler to joint hose hoses to the cooler hoses. Double clamp all hose joints. Install the cooler in front of the rad. I believe, if you clamp off the hoses prior to cutting them, you'll lose almost no fluid out of the lines. Pre fill the cooler the best you can and then connect the cooler lines to the existing. Then unclamp the existing. It's really not a hard job, even though I haven't done the job yet.
    Leaving a bit of hose and the fittings attached to the rad cooler will allow you to plug those bits of hose and clamp them off. Later, if you want to go back to stock you can.
    briggy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by holsgo View Post
    Briggy, do you know the capacity of the stock cooler? I think I may do this and want to just add the fluid to the cooler during install since I just did a fluid job on her a bit back.
    Or, basically the amount of fluid added is exactly the capacity of the cooler plus a tad for the lines right?
    Well my refill was a quart more than stock, so assume an extra quart.

Quote Originally Posted by jackfreeman09 View Post
    So I am currently thinking about this mod. I do not want to go to all of the trouble of the custom piping and fittings that the 70266 requires. I was thinking about using the 70268 with the 3/8" fittings. Would this be possible/easier than what you did?
    Important thing to note when selecting the size is the cooling capacity.

70266 20,500 BTU
    70268 13.000 BTU

I recall seeing other threads of Trans fluid boiling with the 70268 which is why I opted for the larger capacity cooler. You will need (2) 45 degree 1/2" NPT to 3/8" Barbed hose alum. fitting. This will allow you to use a hose clamp which shouldn't slide off too easily. Holsgo my be right in saying I wan't a bit above and beyond, I'm a fix it once kinda guy, well try to at least.

----------

Quick Update: Still running awesome with no issues. The only thing i've realized is the need to relocate the ambiant air temp sensor as it shows about 10 degrees above actual due to it being located above the cooler.

jackfreeman09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    Important thing to note when selecting the size is the cooling capacity.

70266 20,500 BTU
    70268 13.000 BTU

I recall seeing other threads of Trans fluid boiling with the 70268 which is why I opted for the larger capacity cooler. You will need (2) 45 degree 1/2" NPT to 3/8" Barbed hose alum. fitting. This will allow you to use a hose clamp which shouldn't slide off too easily. Holsgo my be right in saying I wan't a bit above and beyond, I'm a fix it once kinda guy, well try to at least.

----------

Quick Update: Still running awesome with no issues. The only thing i've realized is the need to relocate the ambiant air temp sensor as it shows about 10 degrees above actual due to it being located above the cooler.
    It wouldn't be a problem that I live near Seattle Washington and that the temperature here is cooler than you in Texas. The lowest it gets though is maybe overnight in the 20's but it rarely does. It is on average in the 40's to 50's here. Would the 70266 be good here or too much cooling for my climate?

when I installed my cooler I drove to texas in an ice storm average temp 30F I didn't notice any unusual shifting. There are bypass valves that you can install, basically it bypasses the cooler until the temprature gets up to 180 See LINK

Quote Originally Posted by jackfreeman09 View Post
    It wouldn't be a problem that I live near Seattle Washington and that the temperature here is cooler than you in Texas. The lowest it gets though is maybe overnight in the 20's but it rarely does. It is on average in the 40's to 50's here. Would the 70266 be good here or too much cooling for my climate?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.