Add me to the trans/coolant mix club
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Add me to the trans/coolant mix club in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I'm now the proud owner of a CTS (05/3.6/120k) with the mixed tranny fluid/coolant. Happened about 3 weeks ago while ...
    goose CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS, 2004 Subaru WRX, 2004 Chev Tahoe, 2000 H-D Sprtstr

Add me to the trans/coolant mix club

I'm now the proud owner of a CTS (05/3.6/120k) with the mixed tranny fluid/coolant. Happened about 3 weeks ago while my g/f was driving home from work. The lines are still attached and intact externally, noticed a puddle in the garage the next morning, which was coming from the coolant reservoir overflow...full of chocolate milk. I've poured over just about every thread there is and have a new radiator and plan to add an external cooler. The car has been on jacks since discovery. I pulled the fill plug on the tranny this evening just to check, hoping it wasnt chocolate milk as well. No such luck. Seeking opinions as to whether the tranny is on death row or if a couple flushes can save it?
    - goose

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Oil gets milky pretty fast. You won't know till you change the cooler. Drop the tranny fluid and bring it to a local shop. Or better yet flat bed it there and get a tranny flush. I just did the external cooler. Easy mod.

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Re: Add me to the trans/coolant mix club

Quote Originally Posted by goose CTS View Post
    I'm now the proud owner of a CTS (05/3.6/120k) with the mixed tranny fluid/coolant. Happened about 3 weeks ago while my g/f was driving home from work. The lines are still attached and intact externally, noticed a puddle in the garage the next morning, which was coming from the coolant reservoir overflow...full of chocolate milk. I've poured over just about every thread there is and have a new radiator and plan to add an external cooler. The car has been on jacks since discovery. I pulled the fill plug on the tranny this evening just to check, hoping it wasnt chocolate milk as well. No such luck. Seeking opinions as to whether the tranny is on death row or if a couple flushes can save it?
    - goose

Just did a cooler install see thread here If you can afford it flat bed it to a good transmission shop then have them flush the system. If you do the trans cooler install you will have to do a fill anyways, I see fill it with 9 quarts of Dex3 then do the flush.

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    Just did a cooler install see thread here If you can afford it flat bed it to a good transmission shop then have them flush the system. If you do the trans cooler install you will have to do a fill anyways, I see fill it with 9 quarts of Dex3 then do the flush.
    i like that and have used a lot of your ideas briggy. I stopped into the local trans shop and spoke with the owner. he advised that the best thing to do is to drain/fill/circulate and repeat till it runs mostly clean then change the filter, drop and clean out the pan, refill and carry on. he advised against a pressurized flush from the 'retail chain tire shop down the street'

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by goose CTS View Post
    i like that and have used a lot of your ideas briggy. I stopped into the local trans shop and spoke with the owner. he advised that the best thing to do is to drain/fill/circulate and repeat till it runs mostly clean then change the filter, drop and clean out the pan, refill and carry on. he advised against a pressurized flush from the 'retail chain tire shop down the street'
    of course he will, he wants your money to go to his shop.
    a lot of people claim its a pressurised flush that shops use, infact its a t-tech machine, they fill 1 cylinder with new fluid then connect your put line to a empty cylinder and your in line to the fresh cylinder, start the car and the cars natural pressure circulates the fluid and pushes out the old and in the new.

he is right in saying that you will need your pan dropped but to be honest the only way to get the system really cleaned out is drop and drain, put the pan back in refill, run the car a little, then use the t tech machine, then dump and drain again..and maybe repeat.
    when my line blew it was just burnt fluid that the tech wanted to get out and he drained ran and filled it a couple times and dropped the pan each time. they didnt use a t tech machine because thats not how gm does it.

the one that i have used was a double piston cylinder, this one looks different but same brand.

Thanks Mike, I got the car put back together with the external cooler this evening. On your advice I went up to the chain shop today and talked with the tech who showed me the machine and explained everything. I'll be bringing the car in for a flush tomorrow.

Thank you again briggy, mike, and blayne.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.