03 CTS success story with Trans Fluid & Filter replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 03 CTS success story with Trans Fluid & Filter replacement in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello everyone, I am new here & just wanted to share my experience with my '03 CTS I purchased about ...
    NoLeafClover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

03 CTS success story with Trans Fluid & Filter replacement

Hello everyone,

I am new here & just wanted to share my experience with my '03 CTS I purchased about 1 month ago.

When I first purchased the car, I had some vibration coming from the rear and it would happen between 50-65 mph. It would come and go and it manly happened once the torque converter would lock.
    Car changed gears very smoothly but when coasting, it would shake, Torque converter would lock and unlock sometimes at random and was getting very annoying.

I decided to replace the trans fluid and see if it made a difference.

The 5L40E Trans calls for Dex 3 but GM changed to Dex 6 for later models.
    I DID NOT FLUSH the system, but only added what came out. I used Dex 6 full synthetic and added a small bottle of Trans fluid conditioner.
    I used about 5 quarts in total.

Needles to say, I can not believe how much smoother the car is shifting (not that I could notice before). The best part is, well it is not shaking anymore when cruising.
    This car by the way has close to 200k miles hence why I was so scared to mess with the fluid period.

I am typing this, because I have heard of all kinds of horrible stories when flushing or replacing the fluid & filter on high mileage cars.
    Perhaps I got lucky, but I would strongly suggest to stay away from doing a Full flush if you decide to do any maintenance on your cts (unless you have less than 70k miles on yours)

Couple of notes if you choose to DIY:

There is a kit that comes with the filter and the gasket @ Advance Auto Parts. The Original gasket, has a rubber and metal piece gasket. The aftermarket has a rubber gasket. Actually all non GM gasket for this car are rubber.
    **This is one of times you can tell exactly whether the filter was ever replaced, if the gasket is not metal then someone replaced it or removed the pan before.

When adding fluid, only about 3 quarts go in before it starts to top and drip from the fill hole. You have to start the car and put the car in DRIVE as someone else is pumping more fluid into the trans.
    This will lower the fluid level for another 2 quarts. Please this is a 2 men job, do not attempt this by yourself trusting the emergency brake or a teenager. I can not tell you if the level drops if you use REVERSE instead (at least you won't risk getting run over.)

1) Use Dex 6 not Dex 3 as it's better (for 5L40E ). Dex 6 are mostly full synthetic but they are okay to mix with Dex 3 (non synthetic).

2) Differential fluid on mine was low. I would suggest removing old fluid and adding new one if you never done this before. It takes less than 2 quarts of 75w-90.

3) Check the Center Support Drive shaft bearing. The rubber on mine was not fully attached. This can also cause vibration by taking the drive-shaft out of balance at random speeds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaitagun is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts 3.6 2005

Re: 03 CTS success story with Trans Fluid & Filter replacement

flushed my trans oil with super mobil dex VI . my car has 110k miles and no problem. My only probleme with this car is the shit trans cooler line alway pop out in the highway!

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Re: 03 CTS success story with Trans Fluid & Filter replacement

Quote Originally Posted by NoLeafClover View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new here & just wanted to share my experience with my '03 CTS I purchased about 1 month ago..................

The 5L40E Trans calls for Dex 3 but GM changed to Dex 6 for later models.
    I DID NOT FLUSH the system, but only added what came out. I used Dex 6 full synthetic and added a small bottle of Trans fluid conditioner.
    I used about 5 quarts in total.

I'm not too keen on mixing the fluid, the transmission holds 9 quarts total. This means you have 4 quarts of dirty non synthetic, and 5 quarts of Dex 6. I know everyone says it's ok to mix but many hose manufacturers actually specify non synthetic products. My point is is it really ok to specify sythetic in a transmission not used to it. I may be splitting hairs, but I do suggest doing a full drain and refill if switching to synthetic, you figure it costs a little more and is probably worth it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.