2007 Cadillac CTS Traction Control Light, Service Anti Theft Gas and temp gauge inop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2007 Cadillac CTS Traction Control Light, Service Anti Theft Gas and temp gauge inop in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello everyone, Been researching and reading posts from others for almost 2 weeks. This issue has been discussed in several ...
    Elite1212 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2.8 V6 Manual

2007 Cadillac CTS Traction Control Light, Service Anti Theft Gas and temp gauge inop

Hello everyone,

Been researching and reading posts from others for almost 2 weeks. This issue has been discussed in several forums but I still haven't found a definitive answer and hoping I can narrow it down here.

Have a 2007 CTS 2.8 Manual 6spd. About 2 weeks ago I got in the car and turned it on, got the Service Theft Control msg along with Traction Control Light, gas and temperature gauge stopped working.

Key is NOT stuck in ignition. Car runs like it should. No other issues besides gauges and information display not showing everything it used to show.

Had it checked at Cadillac Dealership and $160 and 2 hours later was told it needs to be further diagnosed which could cost between 5 to 7 hundred dollars so I took the car out of there (the tech was a young kid and it took him 15 minutes just to change the battery which was confirmed to be bad and needed replacement) so, new battery and still having issues. Taking to another dealer next week who seem to have more capable techs than the first one and charging less money for diagnostics. So far have exhausted every method of resetting the ECU myself, checked fueses, wires, checked BCM for water damage (found no signs of any damage or leaks) As mentioned above, everything else is working properly, rardio, air, windows. The display on the radio no longer shows MPG, engine oil life, distance til empty. It does show voltage (around 15.1-15.3) and outside temperature. Car starts every time with no issues, does not stall, shifts gears fine. Before I spend more money on diagnostics. I want to replace ECM or BCM which will actually cost less at this point. Does it sound like an ECM issue or BCM issue? Any thoughts, prior experience with similar problem and solution would be very beneficial. Have already sent an inquiry to GM/Cadillac for assistance with this matter since it has low miles and it seems to be a quite common issue with these vehicles. Waiting to hear from the.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: 2007 Cadillac CTS Traction Control Light, Service Anti Theft Gas and temp gauge i

It's probably something in your Body Control System. I had the exact problem, took three week to find a short in the class 2 communication bus plus a problem with the ECM. Unless you know a good auto electrician who's familiar with modern auto computer systems and wiring, you may have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. It won't be cheap, ask me how I know.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...unication.html

Re: 2007 Cadillac CTS Traction Control Light, Service Anti Theft Gas and temp gauge i

Thanks propninja. Did you end up replacing ecm and bcm or just the bcm? id hate to spend $500 on diagnosing it just to end up replacing both. I can just buy both units for around $500 and save $500 that would go to the dealer but wanted to make sure im not missing anything else. Cadillac should offer these at discounted prices if not free replacement especially if car has low miles.. Last gm vehicle for me. Such a nice car but plagued with stupid little issues that cost thousands to repair.

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

it really shouldn't be the last GM car for you. That may be a bit of a leap. Yes some cars have problems and yours is now 6 almost 7 years old. Problems come with a machine this age. Little problems are no big deal, big problems are a big deal. There are few big problems with these cars. Just look at Toyota if you think they are any better. They've lost all credibility with the largest recalls ever. My point is don't just generalize the manufacturers.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite1212 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Been researching and reading posts from others for almost 2 weeks. This issue has been discussed in several forums but I still haven't found a definitive answer and hoping I can narrow it down here.

Have a 2007 CTS 2.8 Manual 6spd. About 2 weeks ago I got in the car and turned it on, got the Service Theft Control msg along with Traction Control Light, gas and temperature gauge stopped working.

Key is NOT stuck in ignition. Car runs like it should. No other issues besides gauges and information display not showing everything it used to show.

Had it checked at Cadillac Dealership and $160 and 2 hours later was told it needs to be further diagnosed which could cost between 5 to 7 hundred dollars so I took the car out of there (the tech was a young kid and it took him 15 minutes just to change the battery which was confirmed to be bad and needed replacement) so, new battery and still having issues. Taking to another dealer next week who seem to have more capable techs than the first one and charging less money for diagnostics. So far have exhausted every method of resetting the ECU myself, checked fueses, wires, checked BCM for water damage (found no signs of any damage or leaks) As mentioned above, everything else is working properly, rardio, air, windows. The display on the radio no longer shows MPG, engine oil life, distance til empty. It does show voltage (around 15.1-15.3) and outside temperature. Car starts every time with no issues, does not stall, shifts gears fine. Before I spend more money on diagnostics. I want to replace ECM or BCM which will actually cost less at this point. Does it sound like an ECM issue or BCM issue? Any thoughts, prior experience with similar problem and solution would be very beneficial. Have already sent an inquiry to GM/Cadillac for assistance with this matter since it has low miles and it seems to be a quite common issue with these vehicles. Waiting to hear from the.
    Thanks.
    Hello Elite1212,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your CTS’ receiving the Service Theft Control message and Traction Control Light, as well as gas and temperature gauge not working. I do see that you have said that you have reached out to our Customer Care team regarding this concern. Please keep us updated and feel free to reach out to Laura or myself if you need any assistance getting in contact with your agent. We will be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

As it turned out I did have to replace the ECM, however that was for a different though related problem. Your ECM may not need to be replaced. The main problem was that I had/have a water leak into the cabin. What I was told was that there was a short to ground in the data bus. and a corroded splice pack. Your ECM may or may not be a problem, if not you won't have that expence. There is no BCM but rather a BCS or body control system consisting of 8 modules any of which including the wiring could be a problem. The expense here is having to psycically disconnect each module to see if one is faulty, then probing each wire to see if there is a short. It's the labor that's going to be a boogger bear. What you may be able to do for yourself is peel back the carpeting ant look for signs of water. As much as i hate giving money to dealerships, I wouldn't just start throwing parts at the car. Which reminds me, if you do have to replace a module, it will most likely need to be programed in order to work aster installation. You could be looking at somewhere around $200 a pop for programming and some of those modules can't be reprogrammed!

Such problems are not very common with Toyotas and Hondas and I am speaking from personal experience. I don't want to start a debate on that here. Dropping my car off at the dealership again this evening for them to check it tomorrow. will post what they come up with and wether or not I have to sell a kidney to get it fixed.

Got the car back today. ECM replaced and few ground wires cleaned. Car is good to go. If anyone wants it, its for sale. $8500.

Jhayzhone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Custom 2007 cts
    I got the same problem a week ago and what i did is i just changed my battery. I notice that when i start my car in the morning those lights are on but once my engine becomes hot then if i switch off and switch it on again then everything will back in normal. After changing my battery everything is normal even my key doesnt stuck anymore. Its cheaper to try than going to a dealership and get ripped off. Takes 2mins to change your battery.

derby is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Elite ,

I have the same issue . My car is a 2004 . The few ground wires that were cleaned were from what part of the car ? .
    Did you buy the ECM new or used ?
    How much did it cost you ?

Thanks

Kanzy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Everything in these car is controled by computers, and these computers require a good steady votage to work properly.

For any electronic problem, before spending money at the garage or at the dealers, the first thing to do is to connect a good AUTOMATIC battery charger to your battery and give it a slow charge (10 amps or less) for a long time (the whole night or more) even if your battery is strong enough to crank your engine. I suggest you do that a few nights in a row, to make sure your battery voltage is strong enough to supply your electronic system with a steady voltage higher than 12 volts. If your battery is to old, better spend money on a new one than spending a lot more money on changing the ECM, ECU, or any other electronic device in your car. Most of the problems should be solved. If not, than go to your dealer, but make sure you have a lot of money in your pocket.

Now, if you want to reset the ECU or ECM, here is the good and safe way to do it:

First you,ve got to know that your ignition switch has 4 different positions; "A", "B", "C" and "D".

"A" = fully off (you can pull out your key), "B" = off (you can't pull out your key), "C" = ON (all the lights are ON in you dash board), "D" = cranking position.

1.- Turn the ignition switch to "A" or "B" position if "A" is not possible.

2.- Remove the fuse panel lid. (The fuse panel should be in the engine compartment, passenger side, near the radiator)

3.- Pull out the fuse labeled "ECM" or "ECU" (You may use a pair of long nose plyers or the small plastic tool that's allready in the fuse box) (The inside of the fuse panel li d shows a chart indicating where each fuse is located)

4.- Turn the ignition switch to "ON" (position "C") (be carefull not to go as far as cranck position "D").

5.- Leave it like that and wait at least 5 minutes.

6.- Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position ( it should go to "A" position)

7.- Replace the fuse carefully into its slot in the fuse panel. Press it down until it is fully inserted. Replace the fuse box cover

Good luck to you.

TF Eftusk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS 3.6l

I will try this key and fuse method tomorrow. Ill post my results. Im having intermittent starting issues. It will start once and when I turn it off and pull out the key, it stays running for about 15 seconds then stops. I try to start it back up, and nothing for 20 or so minutes. All lights go out and I dont even get a clicking sound with the starter or solenoid.

I just put the rebuilt motor back in. I may have some wiring issues, but all the plugs are in and good and tight. The motor died when it last ran in February. It completely shut off. Lost power steering and all dash function. Not sure if that was limp mode. Anyway, Ill keep posting my progress.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.