New here with new to me CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By curtc
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, New here with new to me CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello all, My father in law just gave us his old car which is a 2007 CTS with ~110k miles ...
    GMan1039 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

New here with new to me CTS

Hello all,
    My father in law just gave us his old car which is a 2007 CTS with ~110k miles and the 3.6l engine. Nice gift right? I just hope its not going to be another maintenance hog.
    I did a search and found some good info, but wanted some hints on what I need to do/look out for on this car. He said he just had it serviced, but sounds like it was only an oil and filter change not the full 100k service suggested. The car runs great, no noise, smooth idle etc. so I don't think I need to mess with the timing chain, and he said all he's ever really had done was oil changes.

The car needs new tires, but all the fluids (that I could easily check) look good. Is there anything I need to do to make sure this car is reliable? I still need to pull the wheels and check the brakes, some say a tranny and coolant flush but the fluids look good.

Anything else should I check/look out for?

Thanks, G

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Re: New here with new to me CTS

I would flush the coolant system if it's never been done, same with the brake fluid, and power steering at that mileage. DO NOT flush the transmission, just get it drained a refilled, heard far too many horror stories about bad transmissions after flushes. Ask your father if he noticed it ever using oil or if he ever had to top it off between changes. The differentials like to start howling after a while and the transmission cooler lines on the radiator like to break too, I'd inspect those for sure, otherwise they're pretty good cars.

Now show us some pics of this gifted CTS!
    Ikera likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

^ what he said, pretty much covers everything
    regarding the transmission oil cooler lines, it is highly recommended to install a separate external oil cooler for 2 reasons
    - less chance of cooler lines blowing out
    - prevent coolant and transmission fluid from mixing in case of the internal failure of the radiator.

I would also do the spark plugs if they have never been done and obviously check the air filter, oh yeah, differential fluid too.
    Past Cadillac's

GMan1039 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

I haven't checked the diff fluid yet will wait until we move into our new house and I have a shop lift. So these have a common trans cooler and radiator?
    I will keep an eye on it burning oil, the FIL said he never noticed it, but I doubt he ever actually checked.

Things to do after we move next month:
    Check diff fluid,
    Flush Radiator and check all coolant lines,
    New Plugs, K&N Filter

No need for the K&N filter, the regular pleated paper filters can provide amble air for the motor, just $$$ down the drain.
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.