OBD2 Question....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, OBD2 Question.... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I got one of these things from eBay and my iPhone or iPad don't pick up... Anyone know why? Or ...
    rayrod354 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS w/ V Series Bumper, Headlight painted eyelids...

OBD2 Question....

I got one of these things from eBay and my iPhone or iPad don't pick up... Anyone know why? Or maybe with a different app... I been trying with the Dash Commander app...$(KGrHqJ,!oIFGvmRIfqrBR0Uj2COew~~60_12.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Re: OBD2 Question....

You need the Torque app installed as well in order to use that.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

is that an Wifi or Bluetooth scanner?
    I got a bluetooth one and it looks very similar, my Android was able to find it after I plugged the scanner into the OBD port, and to pair I think I used the code 1111 or 1234. after it is paired your phone you can start the app. At which part are you stuck?

Torque app? I read where all you needed was an app like Dash Commander. And it's a Bluetooth app and when I turn Bluetooth on it searches and searches but never pairs it...

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Is your phone set to be discoverable? Not sure if that matters in this case or not.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by rayrod354 View Post
    Torque app? I read where all you needed was an app like Dash Commander. And it's a Bluetooth app and when I turn Bluetooth on it searches and searches but never pairs it...
    it's not gonna pair automatically on the first time, just so you know.
    Ok start from the top.
    1. Plug in OBD II Bluetooth scanner into the OBD port
    2. Turn the ignition key to "ON" position
    3. Enable bluetooth on hte phone
    4. Search for bluetooth devices in range (it will show up as "OBD Scanner" on the list of bluetooth devises, should be obvious)
    5. initiate pairing and put in the access code (try 1111 or 1234)
    6. after your phone is paired with the scanner you can start the app
    hope it helps
    I assume you're stuck on step #4?
    can you phone find any other bluetooth devices, maybe you got a faulty scanner

Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts
    I've had a few times where the cheap eBay adapters wouldn't pair no matter what steps you took. I currently use a cheap one from amazon with the torque app and it pairs with my phone and tablet no problem using 1234 code. Jesse

Ctsjoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS
    Did your amazon adapter pair with an iPhone? From what I've read, the problem here is apple. They have their own iobd2 reader that you have to use. It won't pair with others. And of course it's expensive...

I can't answer for the iPhone. All i ever used were different android devices. My current adapter I think was 20 bucks on amazon. One of the cheaper ones. It made no mention of pairing with iPhones. Just android. Jesse

the one I got was a cheapest ELM327 scanner from eBay $7 shipped, looks just like the one in the picture above.
    I don't understand what you mean by "won't pair" do you mean it won't show up on the list of discovered devices or doesn't accept the access codes or has some kind of communication error when pairing or scan is initiated?

I'm not quite getting exactly what he's asking I do know for me when I was ready to use the adapters that would not work would not even show up as I scanned for Bluetooth
    It would show all other Bluetooth sift in the car but never picked the adapter up. I tried with different phones tablets and even switched vehicles with no other Bluetooth stuff in it. I bought 2 off eBay that looked the same just had a different sticker on it. I was browsing amazon and decided on another. I picked another cheap one just not the cheapest. Worked from day one. Pairs up fast and makes diagnosing yours or someone elses quite easy with the right software. Jesse

@ikera,thanks... I'm stuck on #4. And for those who continue to wonder what I'm asking I didn't think it was that hard of a question. I plug the darn thing in, turn Bluetooth on, but the phone or ipad doesn't locate it. Done. Sorry. But it wasn't that hard. So it won't pair at all. But I can locate other Bluetooth devices.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

This has worked perfectly on my past Android phones and currently on my DROID 4. The thing is, apple has a pretty crappy implementation of Bluetooth. This will only work decently for you if you go with same type of dongle however it must be wifi communication capable. Torque does support wifi communicaiton matter of fact you should have noticed it has a bluetooth wifi switch in the settings. Good luck

Your right it's not that complicated.. If it doesn't pair try another simple right.

Oefootball_70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS
    It's not you. It's the iphone. Apple made their devices not work with inexpensive Bluetooth items. It has to be a specific kind of Bluetooth. (Search web for more info). Your current OBDii Bluetooth deal will work with android phones/devices. Not apple products.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.