*Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, *Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter change in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; As the title says, I can't get any fluid back into my transmission (2007 3.6 auto) through the fill hole ...
    The Rev is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Luxury

*Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter change

As the title says, I can't get any fluid back into my transmission (2007 3.6 auto) through the fill hole after I dropped the pan and changed the filter. I got about 4-5 qts out of the sucker. I'm using this pump http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html and the hose was a little too wide for the plug hole, so I used the plastic adapter that looks like the top to a bic pen to get it in there, it goes in about 1/2" into the hole. When I'm pumping its like the fluid is hitting something and it sprays all over the outside of the hole.

The car is on jack stands equally on both sides of the front end. Should I lower the passengers side and try that way? Maybe I need to get a pump with a smaller hose? How far should
    the fill hose go into the fill hole?

I'm calling it quits for the night. It can sit on jackstands until the morning. I also hope to put on new rotors/pads in the front.

Anyone have any advice? I'm sick to my stomach now.

On a better note, the fluid had not 1 speck of metal shavings in it (80k) which is nice. I was noticing harder downshifting than normal when slowing down to a red light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Is it running...?

Its a sealed unit. If you make it air tight at the hole there's no way for air to escape as you fill it.

Re: *Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter ch

I'm not sure if air escaping is causing the fluid to gush out. Its almost as if the tranny is being over filled. I might have gotten 1/4 of a qt into the plug, everything else is gushing out. Is there a better pump I should be using? would it make a difference if I lowered the passengers side?

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Re: *Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter ch

maybe you've got the wrong hole? from my understanding you should be able to check the fill level from fill hole, so it should be big enough

I'm thinking [see: hoping] that as well. I just searched through the DIY thread again and I think I got the wrong bolt. The one I took out was an allen wrench type bolt. In reading up people are saying I should be looking for a T-45 like the drain plug, yes? God I hope so lol

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Yes you got something else, it's the T-45 drain plug one.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    I believe this is the bolt that you want. Located rear most part facing driver side. KOT

Phew I thought I had a real problem here. I'll do my best tomorrow!

This just doesn't want to happen for me. I stripped the torx bolt. I had soaked it in PB blaster and let it sit for a while, had the T-45 in there nice and tight, had to loop a wrench over my ratchets handle for more leverage, and when I thought I "broke" the bolt I severely stripped the inside.

I've reached out to a few mobile welding ads on CL. Would it be easier now to weld a nut to this bad boy and try it that way? I also called Jiffy Lube and inquired about having a nut welded to it and having them refilling it but they didn't want anything to do with it.

Suggestions?

Leects07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts sport/luxury pkg

Instead of welding a nut . Wich my be a tight squeeze . Or the weld spots may interfere with the wrench
    I would try to weld the t45 to the worn out or stripped hole . It may be easier for said welder to get a good blob of weld all the way around the t 45 bit as opposed to fusing with a larger nut and being able to get a good tak all the way around it . With the t45 welded he can just fill the gaps with weld while the bits stuck in there ... You'll loose your t45 but . At this point I no you don't care
    Kingoftypos and Tom's Caddy like this.

Sounds like a good idea. I got about 4-5 qts out when I drained it. Would trying to drive this down to the Midas about 1 mile away be a death sentence for this car?

Leects07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts sport/luxury pkg

I would advise against that I'm not sure the car would even move or shift being that low on fluid I'd would expect the clutch packs to burn up if it did move . I wouldn't risk a small problem and have it turn into a tranny rebuild wich isn't cheap . U may need to go out on a limb and find a welder guy that has portable equipment . Or have the car towed id prefer to find a guy that's has a 110 volt portable welder and throw a crisp hundred dollar bill at him ... Or purchase a small cheap 110v non gas welder and practice on scrap metal it's always nice to have a small welder around
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

khpappas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L - Black/Black
    A good tip for anyone doing this job or differential fluid drain and fill would be to always crack loose the fill plug before you drain any fluids.
    Argent1, CTSM and Tom's Caddy like this.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

does anybody know the tread size? I thinking about replacing it with a normal bolt

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Quote Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
    This just doesn't want to happen for me. I stripped the torx bolt. I had soaked it in PB blaster and let it sit for a while, had the T-45 in there nice and tight, had to loop a wrench over my ratchets handle for more leverage, and when I thought I "broke" the bolt I severely stripped the inside.

I've reached out to a few mobile welding ads on CL. Would it be easier now to weld a nut to this bad boy and try it that way? I also called Jiffy Lube and inquired about having a nut welded to it and having them refilling it but they didn't want anything to do with it.

Suggestions?
    This happened to me actually the first time I was checking my fluid level after I had changed it a week before that. I accidentally used a T-44 torx bit in my ratchet instead of a T-45 one. So I simply tack welded the inside of a 19mm nut to the fill plug (keep in mind this will melt the inside rubber seal of the fill plug). I then discarded the old trans fill plug and replaced it with a 19mm car oil drain plug from an auto part store and voila no more accidentally stripping the fill plug. And this helps greatly in that tight space, I just put my thin 19mm 6 point wrench on it and it's off.
    Leects07 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.