*Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, *Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter change in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I'm confused-if you removed the wrong bolt, where did the 4-5 quarts come from? And why can't the transmission be ...
    Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: *Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter ch

I'm confused-if you removed the wrong bolt, where did the 4-5 quarts come from? And why can't the transmission be refilled thru the fill tube? Because it was never drained??

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's 06 View Post
    I'm confused-if you removed the wrong bolt, where did the 4-5 quarts come from? And why can't the transmission be refilled thru the fill tube? Because it was never drained??
    I think he pulled the drain plug, and another plug thinkng it was the fill. Emptied the fluid then upon filling ran into the no fill issue. Then couldnt get the t45 bolt for filling off. So here we are, I like the 19mm bolt idea.

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Re: *Help Needed!!* Cannot get any fluid back into transmission after drain/filter ch

I've heard of this happening so I was sure to crack the fill plug first. But, I used my impact to crack it. I used some extensions and a knuckle, hooked up the impact and did a fast squeeze and release. It spun it loose about 2 threads. I stopped, screwed it back in finger tight, drained, filled, started car, completed fill and then torqued everything to spec.
    I've found that the impact is always a safer bet in releasing ( barring a breaker bar) because of the burst of the force vs slow torquing. Never impact fill bolts with impact, tighten finger tight, then ratchet until resistance tight, then a 1/8 to 1/4 turn bump to finish if you don't have a torque wrench.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

the main reason why that fill plug's torx hole gets stripped besides from my case (accidentally using a T-44 on a T-45) is due to the fact that if a person is using a ratchet and an extension it's highly likely that the extension will be rubbing against the tunnel insulation which causes the torx bit to be not so flush with the center of the fill plug, which in turn causes the torx hole to get stripped.

The best way I have found to prevent this from happening is when I was using a 3/8" flexible extension it worked every single time I was able to get the bit centered properly and that flexible extension did a good job not to rub much against the insulation and instead bent around it.

The Rev is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Luxury

Jim's 06 - I took the allen bolt on the front of the transmission off after reading some threads that mentioned that as the fill plug. I'm dumb enough to stop reading after I read that, but not dumb enough not to remove the fill plug first lol.

CTSM - thats pretty much what happened to me. I didn't get my T-45 flush and paid the consequences.

I'm going to heat up the area around the bolt as best I can with a propane torch, then try a flexible extension and get my T-45 flush, hopefully inside I have just a bit more area for it to catch onto.

If that doesn't work I'll JB weld a nut to the end of it and give it a day or so to cure and try again.

And lastly, I'll renew my lapsed AAA membership and call a tow to a local shop to have a nut welded on and have them finish the job for me.

Let me be an example to all, read threads fully if you're not 100%.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.