Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Decided that I would go ahead and start a thread regarding my soon to be installs on the caddy. This ...
    GhostCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS

Decided that I would go ahead and start a thread regarding my soon to be installs on the caddy.

This is what Im doing within the next two weeks

Car Audio:
    Kenwood DDX370 6.1 Screen H/U
    JL audio VR-525 components in the front
    Kenwood Excelon VR500-1 Sub Amp
    JL audio 10W0v3
    Knu Concepts 4ga wire

Fixes:
    Revshift rear bushing
    center support bearing
    CS Flex Discs

I plan on taking plenty of pics and what not of the audio install and the other stuff. I plan on making my own box on the underside of the rear deck to utilize the factory sub location.

What everything is going in....

I will update as I go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostCaddy View Post
    Decided that I would go ahead and start a thread regarding my soon to be installs on the caddy.

This is what Im doing within the next two weeks

Car Audio:
    Kenwood DDX370 6.1 Screen H/U
    JL audio VR-525 components in the front
    Kenwood Excelon VR500-1 Sub Amp
    JL audio 10W0v3
    Knu Concepts 4ga wire

Fixes:
    Revshift rear bushing
    center support bearing
    CS Flex Discs

I plan on taking plenty of pics and what not of the audio install and the other stuff. I plan on making my own box on the underside of the rear deck to utilize the factory sub location.

What everything is going in....

I will update as I go.
    I know someone who had that kenwood hu and he hated it. I almost bought it too but it had way to many bad reviews. Pioneer double din units are a better buy in my opinion.

Re: Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260 View Post
    I know someone who had that kenwood hu and he hated it. I almost bought it too but it had way to many bad reviews. Pioneer double din units are a better buy in my opinion.
    What was the reasoning behind him not liking it?

What was the reasoning behind him not liking it?
    It was a very basic unit that didn't hsve many features the others had. It has a 3 band eq compared to pioneers 7. No usb slot for flash drives and screen resolution is not great. Mostly of all it was extremely slow upon start up. You can get the low end model of pioneers avh series and get more out of it for your money.

It was a very basic unit that didn't hsve many features the others had. It has a 3 band eq compared to pioneers 7. No usb slot for flash drives and screen resolution is not great. Mostly of all it was extremely slow upon start up. You can get the low end model of pioneers avh series and get more out of it for your money.
    Appreciate the timely response.
    Honestly, the main reason I had wanted the Kenwood because it was cheap, had 4V pre's, DVD playback and had a USB connection but it is on the back. I messed with it on the showroom floor and it wasnt the best user interface and the resolution left some to be desired.
    Luckily I only put this stuff on layaway and I can upgrade at anytime. Another plus is that I put this stuff on layaway when they were having a sale so I can get the same sale pricing on other models. After looking I might go with the Pioneer AVH-X4500BT as it has a 7" screen compared to the Kenwood's 6.1" and it is only $100 more.

BTW, where at in Indiana are you from? I'm originally from the Terre Haute area.

Appreciate the timely response.
    Honestly, the main reason I had wanted the Kenwood because it was cheap, had 4V pre's, DVD playback and had a USB connection but it is on the back. I messed with it on the showroom floor and it wasnt the best user interface and the resolution left some to be desired.
    Luckily I only put this stuff on layaway and I can upgrade at anytime. Another plus is that I put this stuff on layaway when they were having a sale so I can get the same sale pricing on other models. After looking I might go with the Pioneer AVH-X4500BT as it has a 7" screen compared to the Kenwood's 6.1" and it is only $100 more.

BTW, where at in Indiana are you from? I'm originally from the Terre Haute area.
    I personally own the 2012 model avhp4400bh which is identical to the model your talking about and I love it. With the new model you'll get extra features my model doesn't have. The extra $100.00 is worth it in the long run. The usb port is on the back also but it comes with an extension cable. I'm from fort wayne btw.

I personally own the 2012 model avhp4400bh which is identical to the model your talking about and I love it. With the new model you'll get extra features my model doesn't have. The extra $100.00 is worth it in the long run. The usb port is on the back also but it comes with an extension cable. I'm from fort wayne btw.
    Yeah now thinking about it I will probably go with the pioneer. Did you do the parking brake bypass? If so, what did you do?

Yeah now thinking about it I will probably go with the pioneer. Did you do the parking brake bypass? If so, what did you do?
    Yes I did and I bought the bypass off ebay for around $5-10 I can't remember for sure but is easy to do. Its just 3 wires you wire in with matching color wires it most likely will cone with instructions too.

Yes I did and I bought the bypass off ebay for around $5-10 I can't remember for sure but is easy to do. Its just 3 wires you wire in with matching color wires it most likely will cone with instructions too.
    I was wondering about that. I've thought about going that route or doing the relay.

I was wondering about that. I've thought about going that route or doing the relay.
    Thats all it is, 12volt relay. The three wires wire up with your constant (12v), ground, and remote.

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

It's all personal prefrence. I like the kenwood dnx excelon series. They are loaded with features and for me the garmin is easier to use than other navigations i have experenced. The factory nav in my V sucks, it's comming out. Argoers260 you are right about the speed of the unit it does have a slow response time but i'm in no hurry. Other than that it is packed with all the basic features, XM, bluetooth, lane assit, 3d landmarks, voice control, usb & ipod connections, etc.. It even gives me coupon codes for hotels and restaurants in the area i'm traveling in. But like i said it's personal prefrence. I currently have a couple of dnx 9960 in my vehicles and iv'e got a dnx9980HD i'm going to install in the cts i'm working on. Thats what i'll probably end up putting in the V as well. They all have 6.95" screens.

Quote Originally Posted by J W View Post
    It's all personal prefrence. I like the kenwood dnx excelon series. They are loaded with features and for me the garmin is easier to use than other navigations i have experenced. The factory nav in my V sucks, it's comming out. Argoers260 you are right about the speed of the unit it does have a slow response time but i'm in no hurry. Other than that it is packed with all the basic features, XM, bluetooth, lane assit, 3d landmarks, voice control, usb & ipod connections, etc.. It even gives me coupon codes for hotels and restaurants in the area i'm traveling in. But like i said it's personal prefrence. I currently have a couple of dnx 9960 in my vehicles and iv'e got a dnx9980HD i'm going to install in the cts i'm working on. Thats what i'll probably end up putting in the V as well. They all have 6.95" screens.
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/livewire110/DSC_0162-1.jpg[/I]
    Yeah if I had the money for a higher end H/U, I would definitely look at the excelon series. Unfortunately, 350$ is my upper level limit for a H/U. I do like the 7" screen on the Pioneer a lot better. I'll probably use the metra dash kit for the install and probably get rid of the DIC for now, which I dont want to do, but I dont care of putting the H/U where the stock cd player goes, its a little too cluttered for me. The only crappy thing is, is that my car came with the woodgrain dash and I think it will look out of place. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be a plus.

ctsbboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    JW- how did you keep your DIC in with your aftermarket DVD? When I bought my cts it already had a pioneer 7" in it without the DIC & I REALLY want my car to have the DIC! I was really thinking about taking out the aftermarket DVD & buying a factory DVD or CD player just to get the DIC back. Did you do it yourself & is there a kit I can buy that let's me keep my DIC or did you cut & fabricate the dash yourself to make both fit & work. If so how? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsbboy View Post
    JW- how did you keep your DIC in with your aftermarket DVD? When I bought my cts it already had a pioneer 7" in it without the DIC & I REALLY want my car to have the DIC! I was really thinking about taking out the aftermarket DVD & buying a factory DVD or CD player just to get the DIC back. Did you do it yourself & is there a kit I can buy that let's me keep my DIC or did you cut & fabricate the dash yourself to make both fit & work. If so how? Thanks in advance.
    There is a write up to retain dic with aftermarket in the the diy sticky thread.

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.